British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

If it was me I'd be having a refund regardless of the outlay. If I buy a coin I want the one pictured.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

If it was me I'd be having a refund regardless of the outlay. If I buy a coin I want the one pictured.

I would be the same. Why should they get away with it. If it was for a £200 coin you would be chasing them about it straight away, so why not with a £3 coin. If they get away with it they will keep doing the same. Or at least warn us of who the seller is so it does not happen to us. As a beginner I would welcome knowing of some of these sellers.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

the item has to be the one pictured, if you start showing high grade ones for extra cash then it is still fraudulent, given the price was the price you would pay for a standard 1946 in that grade its obvious.

The only thing I take from this is that people accept or are at least very forgiving of eBay items with faults that every dealer or TPG would be castigated for selling or misdescribing. Stop persisting with eBay and accept it for the den of thieves that it is. Pay proper money for something rather than expecting everything to be a bargain for few pence and then complain that your Petition Crown turned out to be a Churchill. It is only greed (on both sides of the transaction) that makes people persist with eBay

A few years ago I was the underbidder on an apparent 1911 Gouby X, A few days later I got a "second chance" offer which I accepted thinking the original purchaser had backed out. I accepted the offer and got a standard 1911 by return of post. The seller wasn't evil or bad, just uneducated in coin varieties - so long as we are talking trivial amounts, I think we just have to accept the reality that 90% of ebay sellers haven't a clue

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Pay proper money for something rather than expecting everything to be a bargain for few pence and then complain that your Petition Crown turned out to be a Churchill. It is only greed (on both sides of the transaction) that makes people persist with eBay

I regard scanning stuff on Ebay as the same as sifting through 5/- bags of pennies in the 60s,  OK so 99.9% is crap - but the fun of spotting something unnoticed is still there

50 minutes ago, davidrj said:

I regard scanning stuff on Ebay as the same as sifting through 5/- bags of pennies in the 60s,  OK so 99.9% is crap - but the fun of spotting something unnoticed is still there

I understand that side of the argument. The point I am trying to get across is that the opprobium heaped on sellers for not fully describing the item or posting a different picture to the item being sold is not counterbalanced by a similar feeling of guilt for paying less than the going rate when purchasing. It is like being given change for a tenner when you have only handed over a fiver. It's just two different versions of greed. I simply don't understand the indignation expressed of receiving a similar but different piece of crap, neither of which are costing or are worth more than pence or a few pounds at most.

Every week I receive a few enquiries asking if I want to buy a few collections of 'granny's coins' that were stuck away in a jar on the mantlepiece. Usually these are bronze pennies and halfpennies. I'm lucky if 1 in 20 sellers have even a vague idea of the value, as that requires knowledge of the contents which they clearly don't have. Ebay is no different and is frequented by the same sellers.

And I might add is frequented by a considerable number of unknowledgable types who ask prices in line with their own inflated concepts of values.

Edited by Rob

9 hours ago, Rob said:

The only thing I take from this is that people accept or are at least very forgiving of eBay items with faults that every dealer or TPG would be castigated for selling or misdescribing. Stop persisting with eBay and accept it for the den of thieves that it is. Pay proper money for something rather than expecting everything to be a bargain for few pence and then complain that your Petition Crown turned out to be a Churchill. It is only greed (on both sides of the transaction) that makes people persist with eBay

Sounds like an extremely broad generalisation. I wasn't forgiving and did what I would do whether it was an ebay seller or auction house, contacted the seller, explained the error, received a refund. I do pay proper money for coins, both on ebay and off ebay, I also pay less than the value on coins, both on ebay and off ebay.

I get the qualms with it, and no I didn't complain that my coin was something different, I didn't whine and moan about how unfair ebay is or about how I didn't get a million pound coin for a few quid, I was just pointing out a good buy initially and then updating everyone on the situation afterwards.

Your last comment is just completely out of whack - so when I buy a nice coin to add to my collection, it's greed because it's from ebay? So when I make a listing for any coin I sell and I always start my listings at 99p..... greed?

I get you don't like to use ebay Rob, but that doesn't mean everyone who does use it are automatically subscribing to bourgeoisie monthly.

On this occasion I will name and shame, because the seller specifically deals with coins and has been doing so for a very long time. This is bad practice and shouldn't happen on a 99p coin or a 500 pound one.

Global-Coin

31 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Sounds like an extremely broad generalisation. I wasn't forgiving and did what I would do whether it was an ebay seller or auction house, contacted the seller, explained the error, received a refund. I do pay proper money for coins, both on ebay and off ebay, I also pay less than the value on coins, both on ebay and off ebay.

I get the qualms with it, and no I didn't complain that my coin was something different, I didn't whine and moan about how unfair ebay is or about how I didn't get a million pound coin for a few quid, I was just pointing out a good buy initially and then updating everyone on the situation afterwards.

Your last comment is just completely out of whack - so when I buy a nice coin to add to my collection, it's greed because it's from ebay? So when I make a listing for any coin I sell and I always start my listings at 99p..... greed?

I get you don't like to use ebay Rob, but that doesn't mean everyone who does use it are automatically subscribing to bourgeoisie monthly.

It isn't aimed at you per se. It's just a recurring theme that has raised itself on this and other forums ever since it began. People everywhere seem to get quite exercised about not as described items, but these are par for the course on eBay.

Obviously eBay is the place to go for most casual sellers and the quality of offerings is in line with the numismatic competences of the various vendors. Listings range from the clearly tongue in cheek £1m starting prices to a penny and see where it goes, but from past experience I've seen numerous examples of shill bidding, received not as described items, not all of whom would take things back and these from people who did know better. As a seller, had a number of returns where the item was around the market price and as described. Nothing wrong with the item, just not a bargain.

Similarly I have seen numerous examples such as with that seller where the picture indicates something  it isn't. A seller of coins with a feedback of nearly 25000 will know that a 1946 dot penny is going to be worth more than a couple of quid. They will also know that a worn ordinary 1946 penny isn't worth diddly and won't sell. The phrase 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably is' usually applies. it wouldn't take more than a minute to write that the item you see is not the one you will receive.

Both sides to my mind are people being greedy. However, the point that David raised about many people not knowing what they are selling is correct and you do have to make allowances for these.

Sure I don't like eBay very much, but I'm not averse to buying from there and in fact have done so in the past year and many times in the past. I only stopped using it once it became too much like the wild west and in practical terms, overloaded with tat, 10 years or so ago it typically had 2-3000 listings in the British coins section. Now it is over 100000, and numerically no richer in terms of quality. The inability to convey the truth in feedback also didn't help.

I think one line in that sums it all up - par for the course on eBay. You get what you pay for here.

I will add that a member on here bought the first listing of the dot penny at the same price as me (3 pound) and did actually receive the coin in the photograph. It was a genuine oversight by the seller, but certainly they should not be re-using pictures, they really should know better. But as I know all too well, there are caveats galore when buying on eBay, so it's always in consideration.

19 hours ago, davidrj said:

Absolutely David. E bay is shark infested waters, but if you know your subject well, you can land some real bargains. I got my F76 at a knock down price from e bay, and more recently, a GEF F15 at a reasonable price. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Absolutely David. E bay is shark infested waters, but if you know your subject well, you can land some real bargains. I got my F76 at a knock down price from e bay, and more recently, a GEF F15 at a reasonable price. 

The prices you paid were after a listing of a week or ten days Mike ,gives other people the chance to have a look.

The only way to buy something at the right price is to put in notifications / searches as BIN and have a look at wrongly attributed and buy them straight away.

Otherwise people like me would of bought them two years ago .

I have stopped looking for pennies now as have most ....but the only way IMO.

If you spot something with ten days left......chances are i have aswell :P

If your not bothered not a problem i found out myself the hard way.

Ebay sells a load of RANG but if your looking for i.e. 1911 penny and want a gouby X look at the 1911 penny ones BIN :)

If you want one i have about seven picked up this year ,the ones sold over a week or so people spot and pay £80 plus on average.

Not being clever but other people are buying them and reselling all from bin.

IF you want to compete not a problem............if you want something cheap BIN.

My collection is complete as far as i want to take it and turned all my searches off as not interested in ebay.

Be lucky.

Pete.

50 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

...and turned all my searches off as not interested in ebay.

So the rest of us might have half a chance now? :P

nah people still miss things even without BiN, I have found the odd thing over the years for peanuts in bidding.

Edited by scott

More chances of bargains with BINs, because if you spot them the moment they are listed you can grab them there and then of course ... but Scott's right, if you can be bothered putting in the time you will still find good coins at low prices in auctions too, maybe through listing errors, poor pics, mis-attribution, and so on

I can't be bothered trawling though them all any more, I look at newly listed early milled and hammered once or twice a week, knowing I will miss some and occasionally get lucky :)

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Ebay sells a load of RANG but if your looking for i.e. 1911 penny and want a gouby X look at the 1911 penny ones BIN :)

<snipped for brevity>

Pete - forgive my thickness, but what's a "RANG"?

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

<snipped for brevity>

Pete - forgive my thickness, but what's a "RANG"?

Really Awful Numismatic Goods

No, it's just Pete's abbreviation of his favourite phrase for crap, 'Rang Tang' ! :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scott said:

nah people still miss things even without BiN, I have found the odd thing over the years for peanuts in bidding.

Yes your right Scott but over the course of a week or so more likely someone else will spot it and thats all it needs for the price to be high.

RANG is just a daft word Mike for BOBO :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

More chances of bargains with BINs, because if you spot them the moment they are listed you can grab them there and then of course ... but Scott's right, if you can be bothered putting in the time you will still find good coins at low prices in auctions too, maybe through listing errors, poor pics, mis-attribution, and so on

I can't be bothered trawling though them all any more, I look at newly listed early milled and hammered once or twice a week, knowing I will miss some and occasionally get lucky :)

I bought a brockage once which was just listed as 'odverse coin', needless to say it went pretty cheap :D 

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

I bought a brockage once which was just listed as 'odverse coin', needless to say it went pretty cheap :D 

I suppose it could have been reasonably referred to as an "odd obb coin" ;) 

• Like 1

A few upgades purchased yesterday 1897 that is a lot better than the normal ones :)

Not the best picture as just done on my phone.

197.png

• Like 1