British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Nothing major, but lots of minor stuff. Dots on tridents and elsewhere, portcullis new pennies, the 1926 penny types, missing waves, 1903 open 3 minor types, now the 1918H penny etc. etc. Enough to justify a second edition in say a few years time. Plus I'd like to get some identifying photos of those varieties that I simply mention e.g. all the 1957 calm sea types, or the 1907 penny ones. Plenty to do, but I'm a bit too busy at the moment with other stuff. 

tell you what Dave,we'll all have to live 3 or 4 lifetimes to collect all the variations, just in rolled copper coinage alone     Terry

Edited by terrysoldpennies

This looked interesting on the Ebay picture

BP%201861%20N%20onf%203.jpg

an ONF on an 1861 penny, the bottom leg of the E is there on examination, wonder if a better one exists somewhere

I don't think it's ONF, just a dirty/stained bottom leg, similar stains to the left side of the O in ONE and the right side of the P in PENNY. Were you saying it's a ONF David or just that it looks like one?

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well spotted David a good find if cheap :)

£2.46 plus 99p postage, there's this month's budget blown! :D

• Like 1

:D 

3 minutes ago, davidrj said:

£2.46 plus 99p postage, there's this month's budget blown! :D

Think you might of paid a bit to much ;)

6 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I don't think it's ONF, just a dirty/stained bottom leg, similar stains to the left side of the O in ONE and the right side of the P in PENNY. Were you saying it's a ONF David or just that it looks like one?

Yes Matt i am sure David knows looks like one :)

I was talking about you haha, because you said well spotted I thought maybe I was reading the post wrong.

Looks good though until you realise its got red on like your nail varnish :D

Bought an 1896 as although not into date widths this one looked wide without a lens.

After buying it did a bit of looking on recent auctions etc and sent a few emails.

A couple of people have had it recently who had not seen one before in reasonable condition GEF and maybe was a bit expensive but happy to keep it.

The coin is in gouby as BP1896Ad and dont think they are common so wide a date.

1.jpg

• Like 4

£200 for a VG example in the last LCA auction, I think you did really well. Would like to know the interest in this one, I haven't seen an exmaple in any major collections including Alderly, Workman, Accumulator's, Richard's. I assume the one from March was in the Elstree collection? 

3 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I watched it too, but came to the same conclusion. But the lower bar does look weak. I have seen 1861 ONF pennies referenced, so maybe as the die wore there are some true examples out there.

I am a bit sad that Zencoins has pulled the Ebay item that I and another were bidding on, presumably some-one has made an off Ebay offer. Not F6 as described, but Gouby BP 1860 A. Corrosion, but still a valuable coin, would have liked to compete at the end.☹️

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272218492683?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerry

41 minutes ago, jelida said:

I watched it too, but came to the same conclusion. But the lower bar does look weak. I have seen 1861 ONF pennies referenced, so maybe as the die wore there are some true examples out there.

I am a bit sad that Zencoins has pulled the Ebay item that I and another were bidding on, presumably some-one has made an off Ebay offer. Not F6 as described, but Gouby BP 1860 A. Corrosion, but still a valuable coin, would have liked to compete at the end.☹️

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272218492683?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerry

Not the first time that seller has done that either, quite annoying. Fair enough if there are no bids but once people are bidding on it then it seems quite unfair to pull it for an offer.

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Bought an 1896 as although not into date widths this one looked wide without a lens.

After buying it did a bit of looking on recent auctions etc and sent a few emails.

A couple of people have had it recently who had not seen one before in reasonable condition GEF and maybe was a bit expensive but happy to keep it.

1.jpg

Hi Pete,

I've just been through my tub of 50 ex circulation 1896 pennies. The numbers are as follows.

BP 1896 Aa   45

BP 1986 Ab   4

BP 1896 Ac   1

BP 1896 Ad   0

So this is clearly a rarity on my small sample, well done!

Jerry

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

1.jpg

I first saw this type nine years ago and started looking out for them , i've managed to by a good VF and one other , but the total count of coins seen in all that time is six.   Terry

There's one not listed by Gouby,

wide date 1895,

1895BbVwdw10.jpg

still looking for a BP1901Aa

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

It was well worth the gamble, given the premium for 1860 ONFs, which I suspect all are from a filled die, rather than surface corrosion like this poor 1861

If you don't look, you wont find the cherries. I've found 1863 open 3, 1903 open 3, gouby X 1911 (x3), 1875 obverse dot, etc, over the years all for average circulated prices. I've also bought a load of crap from Ebay pictures which looked promising

Likewise, he who dares I suppose. I've not had as much luck as you but I've only been at it a few years. I suspect more and more people are out looking nowadays as well, things that I do spot normally jump in price towards the end as the variety is spotted by a few. Probably by most of you lot on here ;) 

Not guilty m'lud. Despite 60% of this year's purchases having been pennies, not one was made of bronze. B)

15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

1.jpg

Nice buy, Pete. That's clearly a wide 6 easily visible at first glance. 

17 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

£200 for a VG example in the last LCA auction, I think you did really well. Would like to know the interest in this one, I haven't seen an exmaple in any major collections including Alderly, Workman, Accumulator's, Richard's. I assume the one from March was in the Elstree collection? 

Yes it was Matt although the one i bought was in the same auction and went unsold although no picture or Gouby Ref :)

Edited by PWA 1967

Probably why then, do you know the lot no.?

Strikes me that there must be most of these variations in date width for most years around a certain date. Just a cursory look through the crap pile gave two shapes of 5 for 1895 and two date widths for 1896 (1 narrower) and 1899 (1 wider). That was just a random sample of 14 veiled heads. Not statistically significant, but does make me question their absolute rarities.

Edited to add and 1897

Edited by Rob