British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 13/04/2016 at 5:14 PM, davidrj said:

Just bought a job lot of vickie bronze, gambling this is an F1 -  Link. Looks like raised lines on shield, but been fooled by eBay pictures before

It came today, poor thing has had a tough life  - surface corrosion, most of which has been helpfully removed with Brasso

BP%201860%20D%201.jpg

Definiely a Freeman 1, Gouby 1860 D, so fills a gap. Not bad for £8.73 plus £10 postage, the rest of the lot (mostly Brassoed) went straight into the bin except for this one

BP%201909%20AA%201.jpg

A very worn example of the 1909 Ndot - so two gaps filled

I'm a happy bunny paying far less than my actual bid 

:lol:

David

10 hours ago, azda said:

Hopefully some of you penny boys will have your cheque books at the ready

2245810l.jpg

Silly price estimate, but as SS says some-one will go for it. I have never liked this portrait as much as the currency one, and it was nice to read the informative explanation of this piece in the Baldwin catalogue. It seems the RM heirarchy didnt like it either!

Jerry

6 hours ago, davidrj said:

I'm a happy bunny paying far less than my actual bid 

Scarce coins those. Good job Dave.

9Ccdf2I.jpg

Picked this coin up this afternoon. It's got nice mirror like obverse. Some hairlines on the portrait but will fetch at least a MS62RB through PCGS.

The coin is available for a swap (identical grade and identical Freeman rarity).

Sorry I should have said available for swap after it returns from PCGS.

Edited by Prax
  • Like 2

I had an 1871 that had considerably less in the way of hairlines and location of them "body bagged". I wouldn't be too sure....

14 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I had an 1871 that had considerably less in the way of hairlines and location of them "body bagged". I wouldn't be too sure....

Time to play guess the grade then :)

To be honest I couldn't have taken worse pics of the coin if I wanted to, but I will share the results of the exercise.

• Like 1

I guess if you get the number and the slab it might be off to Heritage? I was shocked at some of the prices fetched in the Central States auction just finished.

OK Question

This may have been asked or talked about before but I can't seem to find it. I have a few lower grade 1918H pennies and noticed that the "H" on some are directly over a tooth and I have one were it is to the side of a tooth. Is this already a known thing. I seem to remember something about the 1919H.

Thanks

On 4/9/2016 at 4:45 AM, Prax said:

Some lovely coin but rather optimistic pricing as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the headsup. Hope you found something thing you wanted.

Very optimistic, Prax. I agree. 

8 hours ago, bhx7 said:

OK Question

This may have been asked or talked about before but I can't seem to find it. I have a few lower grade 1918H pennies and noticed that the "H" on some are directly over a tooth and I have one were it is to the side of a tooth. Is this already a known thing. I seem to remember something about the 1919H.

Thanks

There are types for 1919h and 1918kn, but I haven't seen anything for 1918h... Got any pics?

Anyone seen this dot flaw before? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Anyone seen this dot flaw before? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

What year is it Nordle?

12 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

What year is it Nordle?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

There are types for 1919h and 1918kn, but I haven't seen anything for 1918h... Got any pics?

Will get some done later tonight Matt.

A couple of photos of my (poor) 1918h and 1919h

1918h.jpg.7065b29eb2959d254c998087b1e7b31919h.jpg.8bf9b98c44f2993963cec358f1df99

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RLC35 said:

What year is it Nordle?

No, that appears to be a new one, Matt. Interesting - I wonder how many there are with that dot, still in existence?  

• Like 1

Not one I've seen before either, and quite prominent compared to ones in other places

Here are my 2 pics of 1918H as promised. Definately more than 1 variety of 1918H then!

1918ha.jpg

1918hb.jpg

Here they are again from a little further out.

1918ha2.jpg

1918hb2.jpg

Nice spot Brian, I presume there's nothing in Groom about it? If anyone would've noted it, it would probably have been Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Nice spot Brian, I presume there's nothing in Groom about it? If anyone would've noted it, it would probably have been Dave.

No, I didn't spot that one. Another variety for the second edition - the list is getting quite long now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

No, I didn't spot that one. Another variety for the second edition - the list is getting quite long now. 

Anything notable in your new list Dave? A new major variety or something like that..

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Anything notable in your new list Dave? A new major variety or something like that..

Nothing major, but lots of minor stuff. Dots on tridents and elsewhere, portcullis new pennies, the 1926 penny types, missing waves, 1903 open 3 minor types, now the 1918H penny etc. etc. Enough to justify a second edition in say a few years time. Plus I'd like to get some identifying photos of those varieties that I simply mention e.g. all the 1957 calm sea types, or the 1907 penny ones. Plenty to do, but I'm a bit too busy at the moment with other stuff. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Nothing major, but lots of minor stuff. Dots on tridents and elsewhere, portcullis new pennies, the 1926 penny types, missing waves, 1903 open 3 minor types, now the 1918H penny etc. etc. Enough to justify a second edition in say a few years time. Plus I'd like to get some identifying photos of those varieties that I simply mention e.g. all the 1957 calm sea types, or the 1907 penny ones. Plenty to do, but I'm a bit too busy at the moment with other stuff. 

A good list since the last book then. For the missing waves have you got all 4 - 1967, 1966, 1934 and 1921?