British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have just clicked on the link and it is telling me that it does not exist

Both working perfectly. I have the variety website as a favourite on my work computer and both ipad and iphone anyway :lol: extremely useful!

• Like 1

Thank you Santa, two very useful belated Christmas presents,  your hard work is appreciated 

• Like 1

On 24 March 2016 at 8:51 PM, Rob said:

Presumably, everybody who needed one already had one, or more likely couldn't live with it they bought it. I have no idea on the numbers available, but presume a few are known, guaranteed to be in better grade. I've fallen for that one myself in the past - buying something because it seemed too cheap

Not sure what's happening with these replies which seem to be in quadruplicate as I write, but IanB might be onto something. When the designs are first made, it is done on something the size of a dinner plate after which it is reduced. There is nothing to stop a piece of intermediate size being made. Keeping an open mind, it might be kosher.

Kosher it is ?

I just found it amazing that an R18 coin would go for 99p. Back in 2003 I purchased a similar specimen for £400. At the same time I also picked up a f41 and a 1882 London mint penny for about the same price.

The 1882 I had slabbed and it achieved a CGS 3 if I recall correctly. The coin is currently with Guy F and after changing hands it realised £1400 (?), I believe or that is what Guy paid for (a couple of years back) it from what I gather.

All these are pretty rare coins but the 1861 is not something everyone's looking for and as quite a few forum members have pointed out the demand, for varieties as far as the pennies is concerned, is rather subdued at the moment. 

To be fair the coin ain't a stunner and perhaps as you say anyone looking perhaps had a better specimen.

Edited by Prax

i got an 1860 no colon dots after FD for less then 99p though remember :P

30 minutes ago, Prax said:

Kosher it is ?

I just found it amazing that an R18 coin would go for 99p. Back in 2003 I purchased a similar specimen for £400. At the same time I also picked up a f41 and a 1882 London mint penny for about the same price.

The 1882 I had slabbed and it achieved a CGS 3 if I recall correctly. The coin is currently with Guy F and after changing hands it realised £1400 (?), I believe or that is what Guy paid for (a couple of years back) it from what I gather.

All these are pretty rare coins but the 1861 is not something everyone's looking for and as quite a few forum members have pointed out the demand, for varieties as far as the pennies is concerned, is rather subdued at the moment. 

To be fair the coin ain't a stunner and perhaps as you say anyone looking perhaps had a better specimen.

The varieties since internet/ebay mean they keep turning up.

I believe the few collectors of varieties over £1k have put the handbrake on.

On 29 March 2016 at 9:44 PM, scott said:

i got an 1860 no colon dots after FD for less then 99p though remember :P

Not surprised, but then is Scott not the King of Bargains? ?

On 29 March 2016 at 10:01 PM, PWA 1967 said:

The varieties since internet/ebay mean they keep turning up.

I believe the few collectors of varieties over £1k have put the handbrake on.

True! £1000 seems like the threshold for varieties. The ONF from the Elstree Collection fetched £600 or so. Bargain me thinks or is it really when you consider 3 die numbered pennies exchanged hands for under £1000 in the last month or so alone?

On 29 March 2016 at 7:18 PM, secret santa said:

Rich, I got your message but the messaging facility works pants on my tab. I will respond with the pictures when I reach London.

Edited by Prax

When John Jerrams published his coin census in 2003 the populations for dies numbers were die 5 (1), die 3 (3), die 2 (4) and die 4 (6). As you say the die 4's have rocketed since then but I haven't seen too many more die 2 and 3 specimens. I think Bernie has got a good handle on these ?

On 29 March 2016 at 4:29 PM, Prax said:

Kosher it is ?

As you say, any-one who wanted the variety wanted better grade, but still a total bargain. I'm sure had it been sold by LCA it would have fetched over a ton. Lot to be said for sticking on a low bid then forgetting with these low grade rarities, those that you do win you wont regret.

Probably not a bad time to buy varieties, the forthcoming Freeman re-issue will raise awareness and perhaps bring some new collectors/money into the market.

Jerry

Sorry i cant put the link up.

One on the list 1898 although scarce seems expensive at £1,950.00 be interesting if someone buys that for such a small difference :o

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Mark Rasmussen has some nice pennies on his new list out today :)

Thanks for the heads up. Are they the ones already on his website (they're nice enough), or some new ones he's yet to add? 

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry i cant put the link up.

One on the list 1898 although scarce seems expensive at £1,950.00 be interesting if someone buys that for such a small difference :o

That is far too expensive, about 1 in 14 1898 pennies in my small census. I have several, though none better than VF, but there will be plenty of high grade ones out there. Maybe a couple of hundred pounds value I would have thought. But I might end up eating my words........

Jerry

On 3/29/2016 at 4:29 PM, Prax said:

Kosher it is ?

You're perhaps right, Prax, although I haven't seen any diminution on demand for rare varieties at auction. Quite the reverse in fact. Although, somewhat paradoxically, some real pearlers do seem to sail right under the radar.

As far as 1861, it's an area I'll be turning my personal attention to, quite shortly. Another year with numerous varieties. Many of then not nearly as well known as their 1860 counterparts.    

• Like 1

Not something which will appeal to everyone but I had to add it to my collection. A piece of social history, trench art. Adding to the adage For God, King and Country.....the Lords Prayer on an early George V penny. I am not religious just admire the time and effort taken. Not my photos so sorry for quality.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(15).jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(16).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bhx7 said:

Not something which will appeal to everyone but I had to add it to my collection. A piece of social history, trench art. Adding to the adage For God, King and Country.....the Lords Prayer on an early George V penny. I am not religious just admire the time and effort taken. Not my photos so sorry for quality.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(15).jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(16).jpg

As you say a piece of social history. I hope it gave the poor bugger who was holding it in the bottom of a muddy trench some comfort. I also hope he survived and went on to live a long life.

• Like 5

Dave Craddock new list out today.

Always worth a look at the pennies.

17 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dave Craddock new list out today.

Always worth a look at the pennies.

Do you have a link, Pete?

Not the sharpest tool in the box Mike and dont know how to send the link.

Sorry but i have forward you the mail :D

I am more like a hammer :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not the sharpest tool in the box Mike and dont know how to send the link.

Just as good - cheers Pete. Much appreciated. He's got some good stuff by the looks. 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Just as good - cheers Pete. Much appreciated. He's got some good stuff by the looks. 

Think you will find the good stuff i have bought :lol: ............;).

38 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Could you hammer it across to me too please?

Ta. :)