British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

normal 1 seems to have a flatter O in some cases in OMN

Quick query. Bought this 1934 penny. It is a beautiful dark brown has seen a bit of circulation but seems to have almost glass like fields. I have tried to photo it the best I can but the photo's dont do the coin justice. Anyone any idea's regarding its finish, etc..

1934 penny pic.jpg

Obverse taken against a grey background. Shows a bit more of its condition but still much better in hand. Just trying to get my photos right!!!!

1934 obv.jpg

Edited by bhx7

Think this shows the fields and detail better

1934 obv 2.jpg

1934 obv 2 a.jpg

Edited by bhx7

39 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Think this shows the fields and detail better

1934 obv 2.jpg

1934 obv 2 a.jpg

Nice Penny Brian, good detail!

• Like 1

Reference my 1882Ma (2/1) query on 3rd March, Page 44 of ‘More pennies’, I think I have now answered my own question by finding another example, pictures attached.

This piece also displays the additional protrusion to the top left hand side of the numeral 2, which I think is most likely the top left corner of the top bar of the underneath numeral 1. I feel that this may be an even better indicator of this variety than the protrusion on the inner curve……which always seems to be weak to the point of doubting the variety. When one considers the combination of the 2 protrusions I think this gives increased confidence in confirming type.

The lack of any response to my original post I guess means either no one is interested, or no members think they have an example…...although it would be difficult to see this top protrusion without a decent ‘looking glass’.

1882M Close Up of Numeral 2.jpg

1882M Close Up of 2_Sideways view.jpg

1882M Close Up of 2_Top view.jpg

1882M Close Up of 2_Top view with added light.jpg

• Like 1

Nice spot and nice photos, this overstrike so far eludes me in better than poor condition, but the clear proof of a number of different dies does suggest a systematic 'updating' of 1881H dies as 'good housekeeping' rather than an erroneous die repair. That in turn raises the possibility of yet more types yet to be found. There are certainly several different degrees to which the 1893/2 is displayed, for example.

Jerry

I have always found that layering images is a great way of supporting a claim of an overstrike. It lets you confirm digit size and position, which often you can assume to be correct, but once overlaid it can be a deciding factor.

Thanks for the suggestion Colin. The only 1881H which I have kept in my collection, which has the same reverse type, has the H in an undocumented position, see picture. This does not match the position of the H on the 1882Ma, so attempting to overlay the 1882Ma date over the 1881H date did not seem as though it would have definitively helped using the example I have got in my collection.  I.e. clearly from different original dies. Also the two examples of 1881Ha and 1881Hb on page 77 of Gouby similarly have the H in yet different positions to the 1882Ma.

Despite this I think it is still a good idea to do as you have suggested and take pictures of the 2 and 1 on my two coins at same 140 x magnification and see if I can get the top left tip of the 1 to protrude thanks. Will need to report back another day as have family arriving soon and need to hide from grandchildren!

1881H Undocumented H Position.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting point that you make Ian regarding the level of interest - maybe the number of collectors of Victorian penny varieties is decreasing. Several collections have been brought to market over the last 10 years and possibly these collectors aren't being replaced with new ones ? I would have thought that as us baby boomers relax into retirement, the numbers might swell but maybe not...........

I think its more you can't see that on worn examples or with the naked eye.

the problem with overlays is when different dies are used, I have actually successfully used the technique for 1772/1 halfpenny, as i happened across the 1771 with the date placement that matches.

4 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Can you speak up a bit please Gary :o

• Like 3

On 3/25/2016 at 0:19 AM, declanwmagee said:

Oh that's brilliant, Pete!  Do you still have it, or has it moved on...?

Nice to know where a coin has been on its travels!  :)

Sorry Declan only just noticed this yes i still have that one.

Missing waves - similar to the 1934, but on a 1921. Not just wear from circulation, hence the comparison photo of an equally, if not more worn example.

1.png.74cc830a89094b3651dd388d6bc98f04.p

Interesting - good spot - have we got to check every date from now on...............?

Yes, yes we do.

:lol:

Also I didn't actually spot it, credit goes elsewhere. I just thought I would share with the rest of you.

Interestingly, I've just noticed on the 2 varieties I know of, that both have filled 2's in the date.

Aren't all of these missing wave varieties filled dies?

By the way the link in your signature has disappeared Richard..

The link's bad now :D I don't think it had the word penny in the URL normally?