British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Could the double strike not have spread the coin further than the norm? Just a thought.

Apropo of nothing, April Fool's day is still a week away ... :D

Edited by Paulus

I have logged on hoping someone had some kind of answer .

Some ideas are better than none.

Hope you find an answer that you are happy with Matt as think if it were mine would start doing my head in :D

I have a theory on this and it may well be wrong. I think it may be an apprentices test piece. Made oversize as they learn the process of manufacture. Other types of apprentices do similar things but in reverse, furniture makers make half size models to test them. However as a coin is small to begin with it would make sense for the apprentice to make it larger when learning.

The double stamping would not have stretched it, if it had Britannia would be double struck with one figure smaller than the other whearas the reverse is clearly rotated by a few degrees. There is more rotation the further away from the centre hence less error at the point where the trident touches the leg. Also both sides would have been effected if double stamping had made it bigger.

it is possibly thinner because they somehow used a standard size blank which would have had to have made slightly larger before being stamped.

just a theory imo

• Like 1

I like the theory Ian, it's something to think about. I think as Pete suggested I will get round to sending it to the RM one day and see what they say. When I do find anything out I'll update you all. 

Another thing, why is the coin worn, if it were struck that size, I am certain that someone early in its life would have noticed it and it would have been kept in better condition.

It would not have fitted in any chewing gum machines !

Thats a good point and yes i think someone would of put it away before it got to that stage :)

19 hours ago, InforaPenny said:

Probably repeatedly passed through rollers between pieces of leather to gradually flatten it out. I seem to remember a similar Australian penny mentioned in Australian Coin Review from many years ago...

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

I seem to remember reading somewhere that coins were sometimes placed between pieces of leather and pressure applied either by repetitive hammer strokes, steady pressure,  etc....  it would both enlarge and flatten them a bit ..... 

I'm not sure whether this could also account for the apparent doubling. I do seem to remember something about this procedure inducing a sort of ghost doubling on one side of the coin.....

Just throwing this into the mix from memory... I can't locate any documentation on this process; just what I think I remember a dealer explaining to me 35+ years ago when showing me a similar coin....  I may be off in another universe with this, but maybe it will jog someone else's  memory....

On 27/02/2016 at 9:26 AM, Prax said:
8 hours ago, IanB said:
8 hours ago, IanB said:
8 hours ago, IanB said:

I have a theory on this and it may well be wrong. I think it may be an apprentices test piece. Made oversize as they learn the process of manufacture. Other types of apprentices do similar things but in reverse, furniture makers make half size models to test them. However as a coin is small to begin with it would make sense for the apprentice to make it larger when learning.

The double stamping would not have stretched it, if it had Britannia would be double struck with one figure smaller than the other whearas the reverse is clearly rotated by a few degrees. There is more rotation the further away from the centre hence less error at the point where the trident touches the leg. Also both sides would have been effected if double stamping had made it bigger.

it is possibly thinner because they somehow used a standard size blank which would have had to have made slightly larger before being stamped.

just a theory imo

just a theory imo

just a theory imo

Pete it was listed as 1861 5+G (R18) and no one seemed interested at 99p :o

Presumably, everybody who needed one already had one, or more likely couldn't live with it they bought it. I have no idea on the numbers available, but presume a few are known, guaranteed to be in better grade. I've fallen for that one myself in the past - buying something because it seemed too cheap

Not sure what's happening with these replies which seem to be in quadruplicate as I write, but IanB might be onto something. When the designs are first made, it is done on something the size of a dinner plate after which it is reduced. There is nothing to stop a piece of intermediate size being made. Keeping an open mind, it might be kosher.

• Like 1

Hi Folks, Got caught up with this one as I thought it maybe a 1911 Gouby X. Is it or isn't it........was it a member who bought it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-George-V-penny-nice-grade-/131755723944?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zg2d9oCe7BASOeGejSRm3tYA4ms%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Really curious but out of funds for a chance buy!!!

I'm with Pete, I don't think it is a Gouby-X.

• Like 1

I had a look at that one too - for the same reason!

Concluded the same though...I don't think so.  The I of IMP is easier to see on the photo than the I of BRITT. 

• Like 1

Glad I wasn't the only person looking!! I thought the I to BRITT looked fairly close but wasn't 100%. Couldn't make out the I to IMP. Also I did note looking at many of the other Gouby X that the colons after IMP seems to point to a space which it seemed too, but maybe wrong. Glad though as I don't feel as gutted now :D

• Like 1

ahh that thing... I thought it wasn't.. then squinted at it made it look it..

it isn't though, I was tempted to buy it.. but not at 20+ quid. especially as i spend a fair bit on some early milled varieties recently

• Like 1

I'm with Declan, I of IMP is easier to see. Definitely just a normal variety though. 

• Like 1

I of IMP is easier to see again - always worth checking them though - the only one I've ever had was unattributed.  I wasn't the only person to spot it, but I got it for a decent price.  I think it went to Bob  (rlc35) in the end if I remember rightly...

is there not a slightly flatter O in the Gouby X?

Edited by scott

Normal one again. Not sure about the flatter O maybe it's just down to most examples being worn.

Oh that's brilliant, Pete!  Do you still have it, or has it moved on...?

Nice to know where a coin has been on its travels!  :)