British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

£27 what a result, wish I would have spotted it.

18 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Excellent! Thank you both for the confirmation. I picked up the lot for £27 delivered on the assumption this was a mid grade low tide. This was also in there along with another 10 or so worn Victoria pennies and a couple of Geroge V and Elizabeth II pennies. I know its in a very low grade but this was the coin the seller was raving about not the 1902:

1882-h-penny.jpg

Why was he raving about it or did he not know like the Low tide ?.

He was using the 1882 as the main reason to purchase the group of pennies. It was the only one individually photographed the rest were all lined up in a photo from a distance.

Maybe nothing major but something I have been looking for for quite some time. The 1944 Obv 2 Rev C*, a lot harder to get than I intitially thought especially in top condition! Photo taken on my phone so not as clear and crisp as I would like.

1944 Penny Obv 2 Rev C- small.jpg

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 2

Great buy, that one seems to have missed much of the hypo as well.

4 to the middle of the wave, is that the right one?

• Like 1

Yes. It is a beauty better in hand than it looks. The mark on the chin is not the coin as I took the photo through a quadrum case and its on that!

Just need the 1940 Single Exergue now and 2 proofs and the George VI is ticked off =D

Good times. I need the double exergue :lol: easy to pick up but I'm waiting for a really nice one. If anyone has a really good one for sale, let me know!

Just got a spare today. Will take a pic and PM it to you.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian :) 

17 hours ago, bhx7 said:

Yes. It is a beauty better in hand than it looks. The mark on the chin is not the coin as I took the photo through a quadrum case and its on that!

Nice find Brian and a nice coin :)

• Like 1

What about this, the coin is wider than normal and thinner than normal, kind of like it's been rolled out to flatten it. It doesn't look fake, the design matches that of a real coin perfectly. How could this happen, any ideas? Ignore the colour, I had to brighten the picture because of the bad lighting here, colour is fine.

1.png

Thats interesting Matt ,what year is it and is the reverse just as good ?.

It's that double struck one Pete. Apart from the obvious, the rev. is just as good in the details department. It's certainly not been recently struck as it has a nice patina, lots of wear and also a few spots. It also wouldn't make sense to make a copy of this year, it's not a rare one. I think the die would have to have been bigger though to make it like this.

I need to weigh it too, see what that gives me.

1.png

Nope, no idea either.

I got a bag of goodies delivered today from the UK - This coin, the LCA cupped broadstrike, 1902 low tide, a pretty decent 1934, Dr. Findlow's 1918 HOF penny (the second of his I have now), and a few others, also the battle of Britain 50p with thanks to Fred!

Now it's almost exclusively dominated by LCA who I guess have theirs registered under the user 120384. Seems counter productive to have it like that but whatever, that's CGS' choice.

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

What about this, the coin is wider than normal and thinner than normal, kind of like it's been rolled out to flatten it. It doesn't look fake, the design matches that of a real coin perfectly. How could this happen, any ideas? Ignore the colour, I had to brighten the picture because of the bad lighting here, colour is fine.

1.png

As a jolly jape people would put a penny on a railway line to be run over by a train. The penny would come out larger but tended to elongate so I would assume this is not the mechinism used on this coin. It has been struck with the collar in place so I would tend towards post mint damage.

Edited by Gary1000
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Now it's almost exclusively dominated by LCA who I guess have theirs registered under the user 120384. Seems counter productive to have it like that but whatever, that's CGS' choice.

Know Matt 120384 is a collector as are the others although can only comment on the pennies.

Perhaps a hydraulic press or something then. It's a shame because the double strike on the reverse is genuine however this bugger isn't going to fit in the capsules I have.

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Know Matt 120384 is a collector as are the others although can only comment on the pennies.

Jesus, really?

Let's assume that the average price of the coins they've had slabbed is around £15, although it'll surely be higher, that means that without even calculating the postage costs they've spent just over £31k just on having the coins slabbed :blink: