British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Definitely normal obv 2, no space after GRA:

There are reports of 1912s with a hollow neck, but I don't think these have either been confirmed or have the attributes of Gouby X

Edited by davidrj

3 hours ago, davidrj said:

Definitely normal obv 2, no space after GRA:

george%20v%20obverses.jpg

• Like 1

Obv 2

On 09/02/2016 at 5:25 PM, secret santa said:

Rich, Just spotted my 5+D ONF. Apologies for the delay

xqZ2HBO.jpg

Picked up my 1897 pennies and compared around 40 low grade dot pennies and observed the variations in the positioning of the dot. In most specimens the flaws are as shown in the bottom 2 specimens (circular and away from the teeth). But in a few specimens as shown in the first 2 pics the flaw is not circular and almost in contact with the teeth. Has anyone observed a non dot flaw with the 1897 pennies? Would love to hear from you.

NRGa7A9.jpg

Prax, I just looked at my two "Dot" coins and 3 non dot 1897's, and didn't find any cracks or globs like you show near the border teeth, on any of them.

The second one is a real flaw rather than a dot,however in a different position than the normal dot as you said.

Prax have you seen any of the flaws on other 1897 dates ,such as the normal one.

If you have forty DOT ones it no wonder people are stuggling to find them :D

• Like 1

Mine's just a dot flaw too, no die crack on it. As Pete says, the second one is a die crack/beginning of a rim cud.

21 hours ago, Prax said:

Picked up my 1897 pennies and compared around 40 low grade dot pennies and observed the variations in the positioning of the dot. In most specimens the flaws are as shown in the bottom 2 specimens (circular and away from the teeth). But in a few specimens as shown in the first 2 pics the flaw is not circular and almost in contact with the teeth. Has anyone observed a non dot flaw with the 1897 pennies? Would love to hear from you.

Prax,

I just spotted this while doing the dailies, it looks like it has the beginning of the die crack just like your first picture.

Matt

2.png

1.jpg

Interesting one on e bay - going as a BIN for £400 - where the letters on the reverse are very weak/almost absent - link

Edited by 1949threepence

We were just discussing that in the die clogs thread, surely it's got to be one the last coins struck with that die before it literally fell apart! Would be nice to own but it's really expensive. 

7 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

We were just discussing that in the die clogs thread, surely it's got to be one the last coins struck with that die before it literally fell apart! Would be nice to own but it's really expensive. 

It is expensive. Plus there is a very noticeable die crack running across the area of the lighthouse.

Educational piece. I wouldn't buy it, mind.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

It is expensive. Plus there is a very noticeable die crack running across the area of the lighthouse.

Educational piece. I wouldn't buy it, mind.

I actually like the die crack better than the letters - it's the biggest I've seen. To me it's just defective, and not something I'd want (like many so-called "varieties" IMO). ;)

And another big one running through BRITT on the obverse. Definitely an educational piece.

Yes die cracks are for the error collectors, definitely not varieties.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2016 at 2:29 PM, Nordle11 said:

Prax,

I just spotted this while doing the dailies, it looks like it has the beginning of the die crack just like your first picture.

Matt

2.png

1.jpg

Very interesting Matt. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

On 21/02/2016 at 6:34 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Prax have you seen any of the flaws on other 1897 dates ,such as the normal one.

No Pete I haven't. The dots on the O of Victoria are news to me as well.

Added this week. Poor grade specimen but not bad for £.3.99 including postage

1861 5+G (R18)

WdMY006.png

How an earth did you spot that Prax.

Hat off to you ,you have a lot more patience than me ;)

Pete it was listed as 1861 5+G (R18) and no one seemed interested at 99p :o

• Like 1

This week's catch!

bXAWmfgbXAWmfg.jpgbXAWmfg

What is it Prax, I think my work's blocker is stopping the images from showing :( 

Niiice B)

17 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats quality Prax.

Its a F111 2 over 1 Matt

15 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Is that in a slab Prax with the variety not mentioned ?.

Yes Pete I took a punt with the 2 over 1 as it wasn't obvious from the seller's images.

Edited by Prax