British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just spotted on Richards fantastic site another Chingford variety.

I believe Chingford was the first to spot this one (tricky  as i mentioned before ).

Mine is not the best as only bought it for the Reverse A .......Extra line on shield.

Its CGS 34619

9 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Just spotted on Richards fantastic site another Chingford variety.

I believe Chingford was the first to spot this one (tricky  as i mentioned before ).

Mine is not the best as only bought it for the Reverse A .......Extra line on shield.

Its CGS 34619

1.jpg

Yes, it was John who brought it to my attention and supplied the photo. Well spotted Matt.

R

I just added the photo for Pete, he spotted it! :) 

I have weighed my 1967 heavy flan today and my scales registered 13.33 gm whereas it was catalogued at 13.43 gm - take your pick. The diameter is just about 3cm - measured with a school ruler so not over-accurate !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I just added the photo for Pete, he spotted it! :) 

Sorry Pete - credit to you !

On 09/02/2016 at 4:51 PM, secret santa said:

I have weighed my 1967 heavy flan today and my scales registered 13.33 gm whereas it was catalogued at 13.43 gm - take your pick. The diameter is just about 3cm - measured with a school ruler so not over-accurate !

Thanks.

One for the Copper boys to help out on. Inspired by the 1858 Penny with F over B I decided to have a look at my couple of 1858. Not sure what this is but definately looks like something there. This coin has the WW on truncation!

12715272_10205482114283372_8149273251779330301_n.jpg

12717332_10205482114323373_8691100994165304227_n.jpg

I would have said F over lower F, although the base of the underlying F is not evident this may have been the reason for the recut. Very similar to a lot of farthing recuts noticeably the 1849 4/lower 4 where the base is missing

• Like 1

Yes, think re-cut F, pretty sure have seen this several times. Similar to the more well known 1841Bramah 2c variety pictured below, although this time the underlying F protrusions are higher. If one looks at enough copper pennies I think repairs to every letter (and numeral) in the legend can be found, although some are far more obvious than others. All the B2c's I have seen also display those faint marks around the DEF Colon, which I believe must to be repairs to both dots......again dot repairs are often seen, although I think perhaps less common. 

1841 Bramah 2c DEF F Repair.jpg

• Like 1

You can also get the same sort of 'shelf' doubling from incorrectly hubbing a die, there's a handful of ways that it can happen and it's not uncommon to have the doubling on just a colon, but it would take some investigating to work out if it was that or like you say just the handy work of the engraver.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

I always find the sharing of knowledge on here brilliant and appreciate learning from you all. The penny also has a very unusual G. I will post some pics in a bit when I get home.

The knowledge base on here is second to none and I am so pleased I joined the forum.

Cheers Brian

On closure inspection there seems to have been a few recuts to this die. Here are a couple more pictures from the reverse of my 1858 penny.
No idea whats going on with the G of REG and the final AR of BRITANNIAR definitley look to have been retooled/cut.

Snapshot17.jpg

Snapshot20.jpg

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 1

Brian.

When you start looking at most copper pennies closely they all/most have differences and have been recut or different.

The scarcer ones are more obvious such as on Richards site of which the time well spent looking.

This means they are easier to spot on Ebay pictures etc.

Pete.

• Like 1

Just the initial enjoyment of finding those differences for this one Pete. Hadn't realised that this coin had so many changes, etc...
I initially thought it was the B under the F which is why I took pics but noticed the difference once I took them. Its an interesting side to the hobby and something i am enjoying learning about nearly everytime I visit the forum. Bar the "1853 GRATI.A (Dot) penny" I seem to have been lucky in that the legends have been very crisp without much interest or obvious recutting. I will dive back into Richards pics to see what else I can pick up.

Cheers Brian

Happy hunting mate.

Its nice when you find one that is different.

Be lucky and keep smiling.

Pete.

• Like 1

Massive thank you and a big hat off :o

Just wanted to share my delight:D.

Over the last couple of weeks a forum member has been telling me all about model pennies and cardboard ones YES CARDBOARD :o

I didnt have a clue about any of them but as always keen to learn.

I have just received an envelope full of them and feel like a kid on christmas day.

Thank you so much CHINGFORD a true gentleman and i owe you one.

Pete.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Over the last couple of weeks a forum member has been telling me all about model pennies and cardboard ones YES CARDBOARD :o

I have just received an envelope full of them and feel like a kid on christmas day.

probably the only chance you will ever get for owning a 1954 penny cardboard coins :rolleyes:

Edited by davidrj

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Massive thank you and a big hat off :o

Just wanted to share my delight:D.

Thank you so much CHINGFORD a true gentleman and i owe you one.

Pete.

Glad you like them, an interesting part of the model/Toy coin learning series, still in use at Schools today but in plastic and decimal denominations.

David Evans produced a catalogue British Cardboard Coins from 1860 (Galata) back in 2004 documenting Cardboard coins he had found and collected over many years, due mainly to the composition, and the fact children were involved, most of the earlier issues haven't stood the test of time and are now quite rare,

Partial sets dating from the 1930s up until to 1964, during which the number and types seem to peak, still turn up on fairly frequently on Ebay for a couple of pounds each, but the earliest (embossed) issues circa 1860 to the early 1900s have become increasingly difficult to find in any condition and can fetch between £10 to £15 pounds each, dependent of date/type and condition.

I am always interested should anyone have a few tucked away

John

• Like 2

Morning All, I Acquired a 1913 penny today and I am not too sure if it is a normal penny or the hollow neck. I've spent 30 mins on it and I have given up. The 'I' of BRITT seems to point to a tooth. Yet when I draw a straight line from the base of 'I', as shown in lower right hand side pic, the line cuts the tooth slightly towards the left. When I draw a line from the base of 'I' parallel to the outer rim of 'I', as shown in the bottom right area, then the cuts the tooth slightly towards the right. In most hollow necks that I have seen we get the 'I' either pointing directly to a space or a tooth. This one is tough. I wish it were a Hollow Neck but my money's on the normal 1913. Your comments please? VHAXp16.png

Edited by Prax

High res pic. Now it looks like a Hollow Neck. Aghhh!

cQWUjwT.jpg

Edited by Prax

23 minutes ago, Prax said:

All acquired a 1913 penny today and I am not too sure if it is a normal penny or the hollow neck. I've spent 30 mins on it and I have given up. The 'I' of BRITT seems to point to a tooth. Yet when I draw a straight line from the base of 'I', as shown in lower right hand side pic, the line cuts the tooth slightly towards the left. When I draw a line from the base of 'I' parallel to the outer rim of 'I' then the cuts the tooth slightly towards the right. In most hollow necks that I have seen we get the 'I' either pointing directly to a space or a tooth. This one is tough. I wish it were a Hollow Neck but my money's on the normal 1913. Your comments please? VHAXp16.png

Looks like a regular obverse 2 to me, perhaps in the latter stages of the die's life so the teeth have been filled a little and making them not so thick and harder to judge. There's no known hollow neck for this year, at least not in the sense of gouby's obverse X.

The hollow neck variety should always point to a tooth, if it doesn't then it's just the regular obverse A (or obverse 1).

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the hollow neck and the obverse 2 also have the same amount of teeth, I was going to suggest counting them to differentiate.

I am with you on this M. It is a obv 2 taking into account the colon's (after gra) pointing to a tooth and being equidistant to both the A of GRA and B of BRITT. It's just that the positioning of the 'I' of BRITT seemed slightly out of place.

Edited by Prax