British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I think we are talking worn die on these

Thanks for your response and reference to earlier interesting posts on similar. I'm having a bit of a ponder (may take some time!).

I've checked my own 1898 pennies and my standard F149 has a poorly defined sea level whereas my 1898 with different 8's has a very sharply defined sea level. I wonder if a wearing die caused someone to update another die to improve this aspect and accidentally put the "wrong 8" in the date field ?

I notice coins listed as ex- M.Peake.

Being relatively knew to collecting pennies wondered if anyone has any information about him or his collection or weather he was a dealer.

I ask as he obviously had a good collection as otherwise dont feel the provenance would of been mentioned.

Pete.

Surely someone must know.

Coins listed in auctions by Spink , dnw , lca, baldwins and the workman sale all give provenance as ex-Peake.

Pete.

Malcolm Peake, Collected bronze Pennies. He was a leading authority on bronze pennies, halfpennies and farthings. He started collecting in the 1960's, one of the first to recognise differences in so many die varieties. Malcolm combined his knowledge with Michael Freeman and Michael Gouby and made contributions to their reference catalogues. The last time that I spoke with Malcolm, he gave me the impression that he planned to live in Thailand. My good friend, he shared all of his knowledge of bronze pennies with me !

• Like 2

Malcolm Peake, Collected bronze Pennies. He was a leading authority on bronze pennies, halfpennies and farthings. He started collecting in the 1960's, one of the first to recognise differences in so many die varieties. Malcolm combined his knowledge with Michael Freeman and Michael Gouby and made contributions to their reference catalogues. The last time that I spoke with Malcolm, he gave me the impression that he planned to live in Thailand. My good friend, he shared all of his knowledge of bronze pennies with me !

Thanks. I've often seen the name but had no real idea who he was. Obviously not as well known as the other two.

Thank you Bernie .

Is this a Freeman 164A?

post-5057-0-01715800-1447929596_thumb.jp

Don't think so. It looks like the colon after Britt points to between teeth and the G of GRA isn't sloping.

no

Don't think so. It looks like the colon after Britt points to between teeth and the G of GRA isn't sloping.

I compared the G of GRA with accumulators coin and that also didn't Look like it sloped and so went with the colon, to me it points to a bead and so thats why i asked, but i'll bow to the superior Knowledge. Any other factors on the REV that can attribute it, 1 in Date pointing to a bead etc?

Edited by azda

No - O of OMN is a bit further away from the colon after BRITT on F164A.

Ok, thanks for the replies......

Looks like a1922 proof penny from the South African set...

Looks like a1922 proof penny from the South African set...

Yes it is - it has the true 1927 reverse (184 teeth)

1d NOT 1p please!

Obv looks very concave - depressed ear??

Edited by davidrj

Yes it is - it has the true 1927 reverse (184 teeth)

So the 1922 proofs use the new reverse? That complicates things further...

Might be of interest ?????????????????? It's orgasmic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. You don't see 1922 with reverse C everyday of the week, and not in that condition ! Wow.