British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Definitely an expensive 2 +D.

Where have you been, jac? Missed all this exciting straight E 1902 and 145 tooth obverse 2 stuff! ?

Jerry

A penny (obverse only) for your thoughts (from 7jaguars)....

post-169-0-62373000-1446175226_thumb.jpg

A penny (reverse only) for your thoughts (from 7jaguars)....

post-169-0-17278400-1446175549_thumb.jpg

I cannot recall if he told me this was a "show and tell" or a "giveaway", but I am fairly certain it was one or the other.

If it's a giveaway, count me in ;)

Such a nice 1926ME, the reverse is STUNNING!

Ha ha, yea might be after I pass on....Actually the coin is better struck through Brit's helm than it looks and nearly flawless - this was from the SNC about 2001 when a collection of late milled was sold. Gave up on trying to post so Coppers kind enough to pitch in.

I know this is kid stuff to the penny aficionados, but take a guess - Old or Modified Effigy?

Ha ha, yea might be after I pass on....Actually the coin is better struck through Brit's helm than it looks and nearly flawless - this was from the SNC about 2001 when a collection of late milled was sold. Gave up on trying to post so Coppers kind enough to pitch in.

I know this is kid stuff to the penny aficionados, but take a guess - Old or Modified Effigy?

Lovely ME portrait (no stops after B & M and BRITT & OMN further apart)

R

I said 1926 ME originally :P but unlike Rash I go for colon after BRITT to tooth, instead of gap, to check for an ME.

It's a STONKER though, is it slabbed or just in a capsule? If slabbed, what grade?

Edited by Nordle11

OK, can't fool you guys, this IS an ME. It slabbed [iMO very conservatively] at PCGS as 65RB. I looked at the NGC65 '26 ME that was sold I believe last year that did not hold a candle to it. I have been quite chuffed all these years as when I took delivery of the coin listed as "GEF" I knew it was the best I'd ever seen. complete with a better than seen in pictures strike and absolutely blazing lustre - I was even a bit disappointed at the 65 grade as it looked as they say a "lock 66, maybe 67". Well, just a slabbed grade...

This coin encouraged me to obtain a couple of the nicer G5 bits so have them as well, and then fill out the currency series by date with the best I could find and leaving the "hypervarietals" to you lot! LOL>

Definitely an expensive 2 +D.

Where have you been, jac? Missed all this exciting straight E 1902 and 145 tooth obverse 2 stuff!

Jerry

Been busy on the farm. Some of my hay bags had split so had to work overtime.

Still catching-up on the posts. The new obverse is a wow.

OK, can't fool you guys, this IS an ME. It slabbed [iMO very conservatively] at PCGS as 65RB. I looked at the NGC65 '26 ME that was sold I believe last year that did not hold a candle to it. I have been quite chuffed all these years as when I took delivery of the coin listed as "GEF" I knew it was the best I'd ever seen. complete with a better than seen in pictures strike and absolutely blazing lustre - I was even a bit disappointed at the 65 grade as it looked as they say a "lock 66, maybe 67". Well, just a slabbed grade...

This coin encouraged me to obtain a couple of the nicer G5 bits so have them as well, and then fill out the currency series by date with the best I could find and leaving the "hypervarietals" to you lot! LOL>

Wow they must be joking right? I'd break that bad boy out and send it to someone else, maybe even send it back to PCGS and hope you don't get the same grumpy b***** again.

Beautiful ME, and by a country mile the nicest I've ever seen.

Another easy way of spotting an ME is that the lower colon dot after "GRA" is closer to the bottom of the A than a non ME.

Thanks for that, wish I knew who it was that sold their collection through Spink (think it was SNC Jan '01) - hello, Rob? As much as Vick silver is my thing, I really think this and a couple of the 1918 & 1919 H &KN coins are amongst my collection favourites. Think I will have my photographer dad (he's 76) take a couple of good pictures of this 26ME though.

Oh, how I miss the glory days of Spink SNC! They single-handedly were responsible for what I hope is a decent collection of currency Vick and better 20th C; for a while the DNW auctions were quite "the bomb" as well.

Oh, how I miss the glory days of Spink SNC!

Agreed.

Nice penny btw. Sometimes I almost envy you milled coin guys. In that people do seem to keep turning up pleasing examples.

Whereas hammered, well, ... I keep looking but, apart from fine work pieces that I don't currently collect, most of the time I find the example I have is as good as (or better than) those that come up for sale. And types I don't have either don't appeal, or the price is far too much.

Then again, maybe I'm just too fussy ...

:(

The tail of the 9 is pretty much on a tooth?

Also I don't know if it's just crud but there's something on the loop of the 5 and the top of the 8 as well.

Is it a 2mm variety too?

Also I don't know if it's just crud but there's something on the loop of the 5 and the top of the 8 as well.

Is it a 2mm variety too?

Just a 1mm with a lump of crud on the tail of the 9 I think.

Well it's strange but it looks like something is going on. For example, some of the letters don't quite line up as other 1mm 1895 pennies do (some pics attached)

Also, if you feel up to it, I count 163 teeth on that penny and there is 162 teeth on a normal 1895 (but it seems so close that I've probably mis-counted by 1 and I'll be f***** if I'm counting again :))

P.S - I used your penny Rash, sorry :P

post-8244-0-75971900-1446559158_thumb.pn

Well it's strange but it looks like something is going on. For example, some of the letters don't quite line up as other 1mm 1895 pennies do (some pics attached)

Also, if you feel up to it, I count 163 teeth on that penny and there is 162 teeth on a normal 1895 (but it seems so close that I've probably mis-counted by 1 and I'll be f***** if I'm counting again :))

I've just counted those teeth and despite falling asleep halfway through I make it 163 on both Jac's penny and my own 1895 1mm penny. Matt - I think you deliberately counted 162 to get everyone peering at border teeth all pm !

R

Mwuahahaha :ph34r:

Thanks for the double count R, I was sure I'd missed one but I really didn't have it in me to count another time.

So Jac, what's up with it? Is it the tail of the 9?

Well done!!

Exactly my thoughts but I dont have the baby as yet Pete. The tail was another factor else it was nothing special for $60. I will post my findings if I find anything strange.

$60 for that coin, even if there turns out to be no differences, is still a bargain.

Nice buy, keep us updated!

Is it a 2mm variety too?

No as Rash points outs its a normal 1mm penny

Tidal Meanderings:

I have a Gouby 1898A F149 that appears to exhibit all the 'w' reverse characteristics that it should, except that I am also seeing 2 (poss 3?) sea levels on the right hand side which I would please like opinion on (even if it's only a suggerstion to "Go to Specsavers".

My lower sea level appears to be Gouby's Rev 'v' (his definition says "The sea, on the right, is in line with the top of the rock shelf at her right foot" but all the pics I have seen, including Gouby's, have this sea level slightly lower than the top of the rock - as per my example). I count 9 teeth from the exergual line to the 'v' sea level.

My 'middle' sea level appears to be at the intended Rev 'w' level. Gouby's Rev 'w' sea level states "The sea level, on the right, extends 1/3 of the way up, from the top of the rock shelf to where the left and right leg crosses". This 'middle' sea level (albeit very thick and rough - perhaps filled?), I count as 10 teeth from the exergual line.

There is also a 'top' sea level that does not appear to go all the way across to tough the leg. I count this as 10.5 teeth up and appears a much more precise attempt (perhaps intended to replace a fudged 'middle'level repair????).

Point to ponder: IF this was a spare Rev 'v' die that they were altering, for whatever reason, it would show as 2mm from trident to P of PENNY (or would it?), My coin shows 1mm with the P of PENNY to a tooth.

post-8769-0-97260900-1447003208_thumb.jp

post-8769-0-55006600-1447003234_thumb.jp