British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I think I remember Michael Gouby told me a few years ago that DNW had asked him to go through a collection of pennies to help them identify the varieties but, as they didn't offer him anything for his trouble, he declined.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I think I remember Michael Gouby told me a few years ago that DNW had asked him to go through a collection of pennies to help them identify the varieties but, as they didn't offer him anything for his trouble, he declined.

It's absurd to expect anybody to do that without a monetary remuneration for services rendered. It's not as if they couldn't have afforded it.  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

If it's a friend's request n have spare time, most people are willing to offer assistance.   However, if it is for commercial purpose, no way for free of charge...business is business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce said:

If it's a friend's request n have spare time, most people are willing to offer assistance.   However, if it is for commercial purpose, no way for free of charge...business is business.

Absolutely, I agree totally.

• Like 2

GEF 1874 F67. Another example of a very difficult to obtain variety, which, at R12, shouldn't be too onerous to locate, but is, in fact, very difficult in higher grade. I actually won this at the Spink Auction of 22nd September 2015 (lot 565), but don't think I've shown it before. 

The dark patch on Britannia's legs is curious as it hardly shows at all in hand, but the photo brings it out. 

Incidentally, with regard to the 1874 varieties, I still believe that with the obvious exceptions of F69 & F76, the F77 & F78 still remain the most difficult to obtain in high grade, as evidenced by their extreme scarcity of appearance over the years.

H67 reverse cropped.jpg

H67 obverse cropped.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

GEF 1874 F67. Another example of a very difficult to obtain variety, which, at R12, shouldn't be too onerous to locate, but is, in fact, very difficult in higher grade. I actually won this at the Spink Auction of 22nd September 2015 (lot 565), but don't think I've shown it before. 

The dark patch on Britannia's legs is curious as it hardly shows at all in hand, but the photo brings it out. 

Incidentally, with regard to the 1874 varieties, I still believe that with the obvious exceptions of F69 & F76, the F77 & F78 still remain the most difficult to obtain in high grade, as evidenced by their extreme scarcity of appearance over the years.

H67 reverse cropped.jpg

H67 obverse cropped.jpg

Agree absolutely.

My F67 is NEF, an accidental find in a cheap tin of stuff.

My F77 is NVF, and my F78 is NEF, both cheap, not noticed, on Ebay.

I've yet to see any advances on those three on Ebay, and I've been looking for 10 years....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Agree absolutely.

I've yet to see any advances on those three on Ebay, and I've been looking for 10 years....

Or anywhere else for that matter. I've not seen another quality F67 since that one above in 2015.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:26 PM, secret santa said:

Some rare pennies in the Spink auction:

The Numismatic Collector's Series Featuring The George Blaine Collection Part IV

e - Auction

Ends: 17 May 2023 at 10:30 AM EDT
Spink USA | 458 Lots  

https://live.spink.com/lots/view/4-9RFQ1T/great-britain-george-v-1910-1936-variety-group-of-1913-pennies-f174-obverse-1-reverse-a-

I am not sure which one the Rare F176 is 😃

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I am not sure which one the Rare F176 is 

I'm not sure it's there.

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Agree absolutely.

Also, I was looking at 1874 sales from LCA over the years, earler, and the evidence shows that single UNC examples of F67, F68 and F78 sold in 2009, and a further instance for F67 in 2006. For F67, F68, F77 and F78, of the 18 sold since 2003, 12 of them were from 2011 or before. 

There was no example of an F77 above VF in ANY, the last VF example being September 2010.  

I'm thinking you probably have nice examples of all those Mike!! 😉

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, alfnail said:

I'm thinking you probably have nice examples of all those Mike!! 😉

I do now Ian, yes B)

Incidentally, one slight error I made above regarding the F67. A superb specimen sold at the Copthorne collection May 2016, which post dates my purchase. But generally, the evidence seems to indicate that the already very scarce supply has dried up still further in recent years. I suspect quite a few must be in private collections (such as mine in all fairness), and staying there.  

• Like 1

1826 penny inverted FAKE.

Thought i would share this just incase anyone sees one for sale and before they perhaps pay to much for one ,believing it to be genuine.

I could not tell looking at one ,no signs of anything to the outside edge or inner rim ,right weight ,size , looks genuine.

BUT i had two and found pictures of another ,they are all the same with the same bag marks etc and could easily be passed off as genuine if you are not able to compare with another.

Similar to the 1905 Half crowns that were done in the seventies and look real but all the same.

007537ab-0a2f-44d3-93f4-b0aac24721b4.JPG

• Like 5

Really looks quite convincing the reverse looks a little weakly struck but could easy pass off as real

Unlike the 1945 silver threepence on ebay up for sale at £95,000 its obviously a fake

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

1826 penny inverted FAKE.

Thought i would share this just incase anyone sees one for sale and before they perhaps pay to much for one ,believing it to be genuine.

I could not tell looking at one ,no signs of anything to the outside edge or inner rim ,right weight ,size , looks genuine.

BUT i had two and found pictures of another ,they are all the same with the same bag marks etc and could easily be passed off as genuine if you are not able to compare with another.

Similar to the 1905 Half crowns that were done in the seventies and look real but all the same.

007537ab-0a2f-44d3-93f4-b0aac24721b4.JPG

Thanks for sharing the info 

The thing about 1826 pennies is they are fairly common so you would not emagine its worth passing of forgeries as the real thing

• Like 1

This was discussed 10 or 15 years ago. Not only the 'circulation marks' match, but there are also small pits on the rim which are present in all cases. FYI the die axis is about 160 degrees and not 180.

A couple more examples apart from the one Pete posted

Cft-1826 inv 1d 2.jpg

1826 inv axis 3.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 4:38 PM, copper123 said:

The thing about 1826 pennies is they are fairly common so you would not emagine its worth passing of forgeries as the real thing

Yes they are not common inverted though and thats why i assume they did them this way.

I believe if i had put this in auction the auctioneer would of listed it as genuine and would of sold for a premium 😀

I was going to bid for the 1895 pattern (F777) at Noonan's today. A similar specimen sold for £3500 on Baldwin's list in 2011 but today it went for £10,880 !!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I was going to bid for the 1895 pattern (F777) at Noonan's today. A similar specimen sold for £3500 on Baldwin's list in 2011 but today it went for £10,880 !!!!!!!!!

£12,880 you mean! 

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

44 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

£12,880 you mean! 

It went for £10k hammer, plus whatever juice was on top of that. The same specimen sold for £1900 hammer at the Laurie Bamford auction in 2006. 

now

I didn't think it would go for quite as much as that to be honest. But it is vanishingly rare of course. R19.

Thought i would share this 1854 DOT , E of DEI ,as not seen another and really clear in hand.

351599916_583518653910682_3362726590353436840_n.jpg

• Like 2

One i bought a few months ago ,however have hit a brick wall trying to attribute as dont know if its been struck with a foreign coin or a token.

The penny has been struck twice and due to the year may of been struck by Heaton ,which makes it harder to determin what the other coin or token is.

An advertising token has been suggested due to Co. being on the penny a few times but i really dont have a clue.

351092847_234088722681761_6777512059582085596_n.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967

24 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

One i bought a few months ago ,however have hit a brick wall trying to attribute as dont know if its been struck with a foreign coin or a token.

The penny has been struck twice and due to the year may of been struck by Heaton ,which makes it harder to determin what the other coin or token is.

An advertising token has been suggested due to Co. being on the penny a few times but i really dont have a clue.

351092847_234088722681761_6777512059582085596_n.jpg

With Heaton buying the machinery from Soho mint after they went out of business, who knows what else they may have purchased . ex Soho coin blanks or unused stock could have been experimented on to see if it was usable .It widens the scope of possible host coins .