Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Recommended Posts

Ah...knew it was someone on here...

Oh- did anyone get penny folder before Xmas that had a strangely good 1919KN in it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops- I didn't mean to infer that Mike is a 'worn example'.

Just thought I should make this clear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Oops- I didn't mean to infer that Mike is a 'worn example'.

Just thought I should make this clear!

Worn? clear date only, dear boy, clear date only.

Anyway, I thought I would make a few points about the 1806 no incuse curl pennies. Peck was of the opinion that they are roughly in a 1:5 ratio as opposed to incuse curl examples. But I'm inclined to think it's more like 1:10 in view of the difficulty I've encountered obtaining one. Not especially easy getting a mid grade specimen, but the higher grades are difficult. 

Finally got this one from a dealer, and noticed it had previously sold at the June 2021 LCA for just £70. He made a fair mark up on it, as you would quite reasonably expect, but it is one of the better ones I've seen, being toned GEF with no issues.

 

        

no incuse curl obv cropped.jpg

no incuse curl rev cropped.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Worn? clear date only, dear boy, clear date only.

Anyway, I thought I would make a few points about the 1806 no incuse curl pennies. Peck was of the opinion that they are roughly in a 1:5 ratio as opposed to incuse curl examples. But I'm inclined to think it's more like 1:10 in view of the difficulty I've encountered obtaining one. Not especially easy getting a mid grade specimen, but the higher grades are difficult. 

Finally got this one from a dealer, and noticed it had previously sold at the June 2021 LCA for just £70. He made a fair mark up on it, as you would quite reasonably expect, but it is one of the better ones I've seen, being toned GEF with no issues.

 

        

no incuse curl obv cropped.jpg

no incuse curl rev cropped.jpg

 

1806B BMC 1343 flawed B.jpg

1806B BMC 1343 NO Incuse curl.jpg

1806B BMC 1343 Obv.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice B fault in BRITANNIAR but not in all No Incuse curl examples?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cliff said:

I notice B fault in BRITANNIAR but not in all No Incuse curl examples?

Interesting. I hadn't even noticed it Cliff, to be honest.

Obviously some kind of metal flaw peculiar to the variety, but not on the example I upgraded from. Also just had a look at the no incuse curls sold by LCA and none of them have it either (although no pics for the ones before September 2008).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a battered 1855 FID 3 colon dots been listed on ebay this morning, as a £10 BIN, if anyone's after one as a filler. coastalcoinsuk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone see the price that pennies fetched in the Stacks-Bowers sale ? Very high grades but unbelievable prices. See 1927 and 1895 pennies:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTMAO/great-britain-penny-1927-george-v-ngc-ms-66-red

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTM0A/great-britain-penny-1895-london-mint-victoria-ngc-ms-66-red-brown

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Did anyone see the price that pennies fetched in the Stacks-Bowers sale ? Very high grades but unbelievable prices. See 1927 and 1895 pennies:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTMAO/great-britain-penny-1927-george-v-ngc-ms-66-red

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTM0A/great-britain-penny-1895-london-mint-victoria-ngc-ms-66-red-brown

Incredible prices, especially the 1927.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US auction houses, alongside with Japan auction houses, often have some extraordinary good prices for UK coins🤔.  No idea why😅.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marketing. Pump, pump, pump it up. There is a lot of hype on these and people go for this (including me on occasion if I just HAVE to have a coin).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Did anyone see the price that pennies fetched in the Stacks-Bowers sale ? Very high grades but unbelievable prices. See 1927 and 1895 pennies:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTMAO/great-britain-penny-1927-george-v-ngc-ms-66-red

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTM0A/great-britain-penny-1895-london-mint-victoria-ngc-ms-66-red-brown

What what what what what???!!???

( For all you F, M & B fans out there )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bruce said:

US auction houses, alongside with Japan auction houses, often have some extraordinary good prices for UK coins🤔No idea why😅.

more $$$$$$$$ and ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ than we have ££££££££ !

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wel Spink and St. James do alright on some of their sales as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2022 at 11:07 PM, 1949threepence said:

more $$$$$$$$ and ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ than we have ££££££££ !

620,000 Yen Hammer on this 1841 penny last week, but when you convert that to approx. £4,000 then it doesn't seem so bad.

Would prefer it to my 1839 proof, even though it's a grade higher.

1841 Proof.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, alfnail said:

620,000 Yen Hammer on this 1841 penny last week, but when you convert that to approx. £4,000 then it doesn't seem so bad.

Would prefer it to my 1839 proof, even though it's a grade higher.

1841 Proof.jpg

One of the best I've ever seen, Ian. Not sure it's worth £4k though.

Do you have a pic of the obverse as well?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ian.

Regardless of the cost, whoever got it will never need to upgrade again. A magnificent coin. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfnail said:

NGC-PF64BN

Thanks Ian - did you buy it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Ian.

Regardless of the cost, whoever got it will never need to upgrade again. A magnificent coin. 

That is a very good price. I'd have bought it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

That is a very good price. I'd have bought it.

although if that's the hammer price, once you've paid the premium plus import tax etc, it'll be over 5K. Still worth it - they're >10x rarer than the 1839.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget what date, forget the reverse, - to me, not a copper collector, that reverse is the most pleasing one I have ever seen.

 

Quite a thing of beauty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×