British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Again another nice site Just me.

Thank you

One for the Penny Boys. A clear I over I in BRITT

post-5057-0-20907300-1436089239_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nice I over I. Is it a 1860?

Nice I over I. Is it a 1860?

Yes nice example i thought it was 1861 jac is there an 1860 i over i ?.

It's 1861

post-509-0-44091100-1436116452_thumb.jpg

One for the Penny Boys. A clear I over I in BRITT

Dave, Here is a 1861 that I have where the "I" is overstruck somewhat different than your coin. Your example has the "front" I struck low...mine has the "front" I overstruck high.

• Like 1

How common are these, i'm out of the penny loop these days

Dave, I on I or 1 on 1 is fairly common. The things to note with the obv 6 pennies is the R or B or V over A. Value wise I doubt if the overstrike would add anything to the overall value.

Pete, I am not too sure of a I over I on the 1860 I asked because I was curious as the obv 6 is rare on the 1860 and any abnormalities would make the coin just that little bit more interesting.

Thanks jac i had not heard of the 1860 before and thought you may of had or seen one.

I actually thought there was something under the B also, a better in Hand view will work that out

Dave, I on I or 1 on 1 is fairly common. The things to note with the obv 6 pennies is the R or B or V over A. Value wise I doubt if the overstrike would add anything to the overall value.

Pete, I am not too sure of a I over I on the 1860 I asked because I was curious as the obv 6 is rare on the 1860 and any abnormalities would make the coin just that little bit more interesting.

Jac, I think you are right about the rarity of a overstruck number or letter. Gouby has identified and listed a great number of the overstrikes, but few have any premium assigned.

I cant get my head around this .

I have a penny that has been slabbed just a 1907 that has a price of £270 the variety is that small it can only be seen under a microscope.

Its a closed 9 and although i have a couple the price seems daft and surely they are not scarce enough to warrant a premium as high as that ?.

Pete.

I cant get my head around this .

I have a penny that has been slabbed just a 1907 that has a price of £270 the variety is that small it can only be seen under a microscope.

Its a closed 9 and although i have a couple the price seems daft and surely they are not scarce enough to warrant a premium as high as that ?.

Pete.

Pete,

Where did you find reference to that price for a closed 9 on a 1907 penny? There are 13 varieties of the 1907 Penny, but all are about the size of the 9 and location of the 7 to the bead, and none are really considered scarce.

Probably CGS

• Like 1

An 1873 i have thats quite nicely toned c,g.s. 7721.

Pete's 1873 penny

1873_1d_01_cgs_80_uin_7721_pwa.png

• Like 1

Its one i have slabbed Bob c.g.s. 33125 i also have a 1903 one c.g.s 12546.

I have the others you mention although they are not worth slabbing.

Can I ask what the difference between an open and closed 9 on the 1907 is?

I have no literature to hand.

By the way, nice website Paulus! It's nice to be able to scroll through other's collections and take a peek :)

By the way, nice website Paulus! It's nice to be able to scroll through other's collections and take a peek :)

The loop of the 9 touches the downstroke nordle,can only really be seen under a microscope its that small a difference.

The loop of the 9 touches the downstroke nordle,can only really be seen under a microscope its that small a difference.

They are also the same on 1903 ,04 and 06

Thanks P, do you think it's visible with just a loupe or would I need to find a microscope?

I'd need to get one anyway to find out about this 1861 "halp" penny I have that I think is a P over F, but has an unknown die pairing for this error! Impossible with the loupe..

Thanks P, do you think it's visible with just a loupe or would I need to find a microscope?

I'd need to get one anyway to find out about this 1861 "halp" penny I have that I think is a P over F, but has an unknown die pairing for this error! Impossible with the loupe..

You could see it with a loupe and obviously the better the strike the easier to tell the one i have was graded 82

Lovely 1873. I have not seen a specimen with 70% plus luster in a long time for this year.

Before i got really into coin collecting i picked up (either an 1873 or 77) here in Germany for €50, it was BU and put it on eBay, it flew and sold for £350-£370 i think ist was, it was a stunner. Unfortunately no images but i did Post it somewhere on here.