British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm surprised that know one has bought the BB/TB, they're like hens teeth. Nice coin Bob!

The reason I think it did not sell (yet) was because there were at least 5 BB/TB in the market in just one year.

Jackson's NGC MS 64 RB that sold for £2200

Terry Vaug's Fine specimen in Cardiff Galleries that sold for £480

Another ebay specimen sold in Apr this year was in fair grade and sold for £220

A poor grade specimen in LCA 2418 that sold for £350

There is also another in poor grade ex LCA specimen currently on ebay for sale. These are all F8s. There have also been 3 F9s that have hit the market including Larry Sinclair's that has remained unsold both on ebay and at LCA. So in general that's been like a mule every month and half.

For those penny collectors new(ish) to this site, there is a resource I am sure you will be interested in. Accumulator (Steve) hasn't been on for a few months (I hope he is OK, I will message him), his website presentation of his penny collection is superb (see link below), I would love to do something similar for my (non-penny) collection!

link

I agree fully . I wish Steve would tell us which template he is using - but i have time as i still need to get my pics OK

I've a similar setup to Steve's but I just been using wordpress.

It's free and you can edit what ever you want, where ever you want!

www.mypennycollection.wordpress.com

It's technically a blogsite but you can edit the timestamps on the posts to fit them where you want, and because it's wordpress there's a plethora of help out there if you get stuck..

It's technically a blogsite but you can edit the timestamps on the posts to fit them where you want, and because it's wordpress there's a plethora of help out there if you get stuck..

Nice Nordie so what do i do to get started

Sign up at wordpress.com, it's pretty straight forward to get started once you're in and I find that googling anything you're unsure about goes a long way.

Uploading pictures is easy and you can choose sizes and quality etc. They also archive the pictures so you only need to upload them once as well.

Best of all it's free and you can look at your coins where ever you want, as long as you've got an internet connection! :)

• Like 1

Omnicoin does exactly the Same thing

Edited by azda

No it doesn't. Omnicoin is specifically geared towards recording coins along with the community functions it offers.

There is A LOT you cannot do in Omnicoin that you have the function for in Wordpress.

Personally I don't like the basicness of the layout and general 90's style visuals that you get with Omnicoin, but that's preference of course ;)

Nice coins and pictures Nordle 11 and the site is spot on.Thanks for sharing i will have to look at doing something like this.

I'm having a bit of a job with his penny. The condition isn't great due to corrosion, but as far as I can judge it doesn't seem to fit in with Freeman's descriptors for any of Reverses G, H or J. The date is 1875 with a narrow date, but when I go through Freeman, I've concluded that it can't be Reverse G as it doesn't have a knob on top of the lighthouse and there is a rock to the left of the lighthouse. However, it does have 5 lines coming down from the top of the lighthouse to the brickwork.

It can't be Reverse H, as this should have 6 lines down to the brickwork of the lighthouse, plus is should have 6 windows - mine has 4. However, Reverse H does have narrow date numerals.

Then there's reverse J, but this has widely spaced date numbers and a thicker lighthouse, plus the sea doesn't meet the inner circle, none of which mine has, so it doesn't look like this type.

If I had to choose the most likely option, I guess I'd go for Reverse G, but that still leaves some unexplained features.

So, help..... Any ideas?

post-692-0-14189400-1435756459_thumb.png

Well done all of you.

Steve's site and coins are amazing.

I'm having a bit of a job with his penny. The condition isn't great due to corrosion, but as far as I can judge it doesn't seem to fit in with Freeman's descriptors for any of Reverses G, H or J. The date is 1875 with a narrow date, but when I go through Freeman, I've concluded that it can't be Reverse G as it doesn't have a knob on top of the lighthouse and there is a rock to the left of the lighthouse. However, it does have 5 lines coming down from the top of the lighthouse to the brickwork.

It can't be Reverse H, as this should have 6 lines down to the brickwork of the lighthouse, plus is should have 6 windows - mine has 4. However, Reverse H does have narrow date numerals.

Then there's reverse J, but this has widely spaced date numbers and a thicker lighthouse, plus the sea doesn't meet the inner circle, none of which mine has, so it doesn't look like this type.

If I had to choose the most likely option, I guess I'd go for Reverse G, but that still leaves some unexplained features.

So, help..... Any ideas?

Hi Dave, it looks like a rev H to me. As you say, G is different in the lighthouse style and base, wide date etc. and Britannia's helmet is a different shape too. J also has a wide date and the sea finishes further from the linear circle as you say.

Reverse H should have 4 incuse lines running down from the lighthouse top which would make 5 raised lines. The 2 extra windows sit just above the pair at the top and are much much smaller and shallower than the 4 obvious windows, very easy to miss or even discount them as windows.

Even on this coin the windows are just visible http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/img.php?a=124&l=733&f=r&s=l

Edited by just.me

Yes its reverse H although the picture of a lighthouse is small (and cant really tell) the other indicators are H

So, help..... Any ideas?

Hi Dave, it looks like a rev H to me. As you say, G is different in the lighthouse style and base, wide date etc. and Britannia's helmet is a different shape too. J also has a wide date and the sea finishes further from the linear circle as you say.

Reverse H should have 4 incuse lines running down from the lighthouse top which would make 5 raised lines. The 2 extra windows sit just above the pair at the top and are much much smaller and shallower than the 4 obvious windows, very easy to miss or even discount them as windows.

Even on this coin the windows are just visible http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/img.php?a=124&l=733&f=r&s=l

Well done and thank you - Reverse H it is. I see the point about the 4 incuse and 5 raised lines now, plus you are quite right about the 4 windows.

Yes Rev H. Another point to consider is that Rev G is widely spaced as well.

No it doesn't. Omnicoin is specifically geared towards recording coins along with the community functions it offers.

There is A LOT you cannot do in Omnicoin that you have the function for in Wordpress.

Personally I don't like the basicness of the layout and general 90's style visuals that you get with Omnicoin, but that's preference of course ;)

Uploading a picture and adding the basic details of Said picture is the Same detail as omnicoin. I'm not seeing much difference in basic layouts apart from a specic web address ;) Edited by azda

Dave, I think it's about the resolution of the pics, which isn't great with Omnicoin

Thanks PWA! Still a long way to go.. :mellow: haha

And sorry Dave, I meant that I'm not fond of the layout of Omnicoin, which is basic, in comparison. As opposed to the basic functionalities of both sites being different.

As Jac says, the quality of the pictures is better, and it feels a little more personal as you can change the format as you like and display your collection however it suits you.

I imgane you get more visitors on Omnicoin because of the community, but I put mine up only for ease of access for myself to be able to view them quickly, from anywhere.

Dave, I think it's about the resolution of the pics, which isn't great with Omnicoin

Yes i would agree there, considering i use the highest macro settings the pictures are relatively small and don't show the coins in their warts an all glory.

Thanks PWA! Still a long way to go.. :mellow: haha

And sorry Dave, I meant that I'm not fond of the layout of Omnicoin, which is basic, in comparison. As opposed to the basic functionalities of both sites being different.

As Jac says, the quality of the pictures is better, and it feels a little more personal as you can change the format as you like and display your collection however it suits you.

I imgane you get more visitors on Omnicoin because of the community, but I put mine up only for ease of access for myself to be able to view them quickly, from anywhere.

I shall retract Nordle. Do your pictures upload at the same resolution on your Site?

Yeah I believe so.

iPhone works well enough for me, a slight zoom on the actual phone and then upload straight into Wordpress. You get a choice of small, médium and large when you upload, I go for médium and there's still the option to open an image in it's own tab, in full size, once it's posted to the site.

For instance, here's a capture of a re-cut 9 just zooming in on one image from my site.. It works well enough for my purposes!

post-8244-0-94798000-1435831291_thumb.jp

It also has a few nifty side features just to breakdown what's going on by day, month and other views.

For example, I can see that your visit to the site yesterday (I'm guessing it was you in Germany :ph34r:) and a couple of people from the UK as well.

It also shows you what other people have viewed, how many times, most visited pages etc etc. Not essential, but quite handy.

post-8244-0-47312500-1435831615_thumb.jp

Is There a cost? And yes i took a peek yesterday :)

Nope, they only charge you if you want the premium stuff and they there's a small charge if you want to exlude the word 'wordpress' from the URL.

Some additional themes and extras might cost but there's more tan enough free stuff on there to find something half-decent.

It also comes with 3gb of free space, and with all of the pictures I've uploaded I think it's only taken up about 250mb so far.

Might have a look over the weekend at it.

I have just recently made a website using Wordpress too, Its the first time I have made a website and I found it very easy to use for a complete beginner. I went for the £95 package which covers 2 years. I've never tried any other website builders but I would recommend Wordpress so far.

I made it for my daughters elongated pennies she has collected http://www.scottishpennies.com/ . A couple of collectors had asked me to send lists with the coins I had/needed but attaching all the photos on email took too long, so I decided to try out a web page instead.

BTW, might be a long shot but if any of you guys have any of these elongated Pennies from the UK you want to sell, send me a PM. I quite often get some of these in bulk lots mixed with tokens etc.