British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nicest penny I have, but my amateur photo doesn't do it justice. Considering all her companions in the same bag were F or below...

post-4212-0-59587500-1435387043_thumb.jp

post-4212-0-55457500-1435387068_thumb.jp

Looks decent to me (though not my area I'm afraid). Good detail and nice lustre. Are pennies your main collecting interest?

Oh, and welcome!

Yes, welcome, NV!

And what happened to all the copper fans for JiB? A couple of years ago that would've been debated for weeks! ?

Yes, welcome, NV!

And what happened to all the copper fans for JiB? A couple of years ago that would've been debated for weeks!

All the copper and bronze fans are busy buying up stuff wherever they can find them and driving prices up like crazy

Only hapennies and sixpences are coins currently seeing a subdued demand. Half Crowns and gold seems to be doing so well that we are still talking about Stanley like it just happened yesterday.

Back to your penny Nightvision, oh BTW welcome on-board. It's a lovely coin something that can easily be graded GXF or above (good) extra fine.

It's not a scarce date but there is one major variant and half a dozen minor variants. The close close date version being the major variant. From the pics posted it looks like a normal 1889. If you are collecting pennies good luck to you. However bronze and copper coins are very prone to environmental damage so please do invest generously on storage and accessories. Gold and silver are far easy to conserve considering noble metals don't react easily. However due to their soft nature they tend to get scratched or dented easily.

Point to ponder: If anyone is still in need of a 1897 Higher Sea Penny there is one currently on ebay, BIN £4.99. Trouble is it's been made into a guitar plectrum! I will now run for cover.

Thank you for for the warm welcome!

I'm starting out really and haven't chosen a focus yet - I inherited a small collection from a relative, quite literally a mixed bag. I've been lurking around this, and other forums to learn things.

It looks like me relative wasn't an expert but knew a good thing when he saw one, that penny is safely tucked up in a coin folder with her drab sisters. I've got some nice farthings as well (yes, aboutfarthings.com is a great site).

I'm teaching myself to grade with the aid of Derek's book. I had graded that one as a tentative XF so good to know I'm on the right track!

Point to ponder: If anyone is still in need of a 1897 Higher Sea Penny there is one currently on ebay, BIN £4.99. Trouble is it's been made into a guitar plectrum! I will now run for cover

Surely a sixpence would be better for that. *runs also*

Nicest penny I have, but my amateur photo doesn't do it justice. Considering all her companions in the same bag were F or below...

Hi nightvision and nice to see someone else posting on here.

If the photos not the best must be unc or close ,nice penny.

Not something one would call a rarity but a nice grade coin

Yes jac you wont find a better one its spot on .

I wish i could find something jac and its not through spending time looking.

A 1860 3+D F13 i bought off neil paisley,with a die clash but good lustre.

Its c.g.s. 31952

PWA's 1860 penny

1860_1d_01_CGS_82_31952_PWA_1967_zpsxykt

Beautiful Penny PWA!

For those penny collectors new(ish) to this site, there is a resource I am sure you will be interested in. Accumulator (Steve) hasn't been on for a few months (I hope he is OK, I will message him), his website presentation of his penny collection is superb (see link below), I would love to do something similar for my (non-penny) collection!

link

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

For those penny collectors new(ish) to this site, there is a resource I am sure you will be interested in. Accumulator (Steve) hasn't been on for a few months (I hope he is OK, I will message him), his website presentation of his penny collection is superb (see link below), I would love to do something similar for my (non-penny) collection!

link

Yes paulus a quality collection with some really scarce pennies in top grades and well worth a look for anyone who has not seen it.

Thanks for the welcome to the site Pete and for the Heads Up re Steve's "My Penny (Tray) Collection". I've actually been aware of his splendid website presentation for some time and frequently drool over his collection when seeking pictorial answers to many of the Penny questions I come up with!

Thanks again

Cliff

PWA's 1860 penny

1860_1d_01_CGS_82_31952_PWA_1967_zpsxykt

Awful coin Pete. You should consider getting rid of it. Have I convinced you of selling it to "ME" Pete?

Lovely stuff the 4 or 5 you had graded recently. This the 1865 and 1868 seem like real keepers. Good find and were they all from Neil?

1860 mule penny on Ebay.com. Not an excessive price.

Thank you I did put a bid in this afternoon but have not heard from the seller maybe seeing what other offers he gets.

Its the same coin that sold in LCA last september lot 2680

1860 mule penny on Ebay.com. Not an excessive price.

Thank you I did put a bid in this afternoon but have not heard from the seller maybe seeing what other offers he gets.

Its the same coin that sold in LCA last september lot 2680

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281734462568?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If Bernie is referring to my 1860 mule (link above), it is not the same one as the LCA Sale. My Mule is the scarcer F-8 Mule ( BB/TB), not the one listed in the LCA Sale, which is the F-9 Mule (TB/BB). If anyone on the Forum is interested, I can sell it for $1,250, postpaid to Great Britain.(up until the time someone puts a bid on it)!

Sorry to go back a few posts but loving the die clash in that penny PWA ;)

I'm surprised that know one has bought the BB/TB, they're like hens teeth. Nice coin Bob!

I'm surprised that know one has bought the BB/TB, they're like hens teeth. Nice coin Bob!

Thanks Bernie. Their are a whole lot of followers listed. I assume they are waiting till the last few minutes to bid. :)