British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thats spot on jac ,really nice and you dont need to look for another one .

Well bought and hat off.

• Like 1

Gerald Jackson? His coins were so very well chosen, and IMO much better than the pictures. I liked the 1869 and 1882 London - the latter the best I have seen not withstanding other comments on the board. The slabbed grades on some not so meaningful really.

BTW, very nice 1871 there!

• Like 1

Joins my other pennies this afternoon2e1axpc.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely coin Jac - how much did that one set you back.

The 1865 - yes please

The ask was £2700 I managed it for £2250.

It hammered for $2000 or $2.2k add the fees etc it works out $2500 (about £1750). To bring it to the UK was another 20% customs/VAT, then the dealer profits. The dealer supplying me has 18 coins from the sale and I have so far acquired 10.

Here's the Baldwin example for comparison. I bid on that as well but pulled out at £1800. I am informed it sold for just under £2600 inc premium.

BTW, It definitely is not a carbon spot on the helmet (I inspected the coin at the sale and it is verdigris with a pit on the surface resulting from corrosion)

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=1086&lot=214

Edited by jacinbox

Is that ever a shame. That would have to detract a third or so from the value & your bid. Nice to hold your horses on that one. Doesn't even look to be a carbon spot from the picture, frankly.

The £1800 was inclusive of premium so I had bid £1500.

It's a nice coin no doubt but that was not a carbon spot and without that the coin may have been worth £2600 considering others in high grades have sold for similar amounts http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=124&searchlot=678&searchtype=2

http://www.colincooke.com/coin_images/workman2/2-007a.jpg (Nov 2010 sold for £2000+premium)

But the point I wanted to highlight was misrepresentaion of grades by another reputed auction house. That definitely was not a carbon spot. If it was someone who left an absentee bid on that coin I am sure he is going to be well pi$$ed off.

Yes, I was agreeing to that. This coin was otherwise superior, just that one little "but"! I try to get reliable representation to look at and bid on coins when I am not able.

• Like 1

I really like the 1865 but at £400 at a stretch £450 and not a penny more

Your on the money hazelman, its finding some of the pennies in decent grades that is hard.

Some i have been looking for a couple of years and spending more time on the coppers for that reason.

Another one 1855 O.T. cgs 30997

• Like 1

Posting the pics on Pete's behalf.

I know nothing about copper pennies, this one is an Occupational Therapist variety apparently.

1855_1d_01_CGS_80_30997_PWA_1967_zpsdncn

• Like 1

Posting the pics on Pete's behalf.

I know nothing about copper pennies, this one is an Occupational Therapist variety apparently.

1855_1d_01_CGS_80_30997_PWA_1967_zpsdncn

Nice Penny Pete! ....

I prefer these big old pennies to the bronze issues! Nice coin! :)

Lovely coin Pete and some nice coins on ebay from you Coinery

What is Coinery's eBay moniker? I'd like to take a look.

Here you go Bob

link

Edited by Paulus

Here you go Bob

link

Thanks Paulus....

Speaking of pennies, does anyone know the fate of the specimen 1922 (rev. of 1927) other than the one ensconced in set? Bernie perhaps?

I was pleased to find this for £35 at the recent Midland Coin Fair, it appears to be a Freeman 72 with the Gouby ja reverse, and it fills a gap within my budget. Gouby values it more than the standard F72, but as a newly described variety appears hesitant in ascribing a rarity: in the opinion of the penny experts on this forum, what level of Freeman rarity would be likely? Is it still scarcer than the norm? As you can see from the scans, it is probably GVF or therabouts.

Jerry

post-8585-0-21524800-1434644801_thumb.jp

post-8585-0-40381500-1434644818_thumb.jp

I was pleased to find this for £35 at the recent Midland Coin Fair, it appears to be a Freeman 72 with the Gouby ja reverse, and it fills a gap within my budget. Gouby values it more than the standard F72, but as a newly described variety appears hesitant in ascribing a rarity: in the opinion of the penny experts on this forum, what level of Freeman rarity would be likely? Is it still scarcer than the norm? As you can see from the scans, it is probably GVF or therabouts.

Jerry

Lovely coin only 3rd specimen that I have seen since 2010 and better than the other 2. Will offer £400 if you want to sell

Gosh! But sorry, not for sale.

Will keep my eyes open.

Jerry

Give us a clue. What's special about it?