British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

I was going to bid for the 1895 pattern (F777) at Noonan's today. A similar specimen sold for £3500 on Baldwin's list in 2011 but today it went for £10,880 !!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

I watched a lot of the auction today as I wasn't working, but missed the later Victorian stuff as I acquired what I was after earlier on and went out to get some ice creams. Priorities 🙂

That's quite an impressive figure in these times of belt tightening and all that.

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It went for £10k hammer, plus whatever juice was on top of that. The same specimen sold for £1900 hammer at the Laurie Bamford auction in 2006. 

now

I didn't think it would go for quite as much as that to be honest. But it is vanishingly rare of course. R19.

And....a broad sail veiled head 1894 pattern went for ~10K dollars (from memory) a few years ago at Stacks and Bowers, part of a fantastic bronze penny collection. London Coins had previously sold a nice one for £1600 hammer back in 2006. 

Which all means that if anyone wants to form a veiled head penny pattern collection (2 coins), they've missed the boat by about 15 years.

If anyone on here bought that 1894 pattern from LC, well done!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

And....a broad sail veiled head 1894 pattern went for ~10K dollars (from memory) a few years ago at Stacks and Bowers, part of a fantastic bronze penny collection. London Coins had previously sold a nice one for £1600 hammer back in 2006. 

Which all means that if anyone wants to form a veiled head penny pattern collection (2 coins), they've missed the boat by about 15 years.

If anyone on here bought that 1894 pattern from LC, well done!

Either or both of those would be an absolutely fantastic addition to a serious collection. But they're becoming almost out of reach.

• Like 1

Quick question - got a blind spot and can never tell these two obverses apart. It's an 1860 reverse D. So the coin is either F10 or F13.

But is this obverse 2 or obverse 3? The letters in BRITT always look the same to me, and don't look out of alignment. 

Thanks in advance.

ten or thirteen.PNG

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Quick question - got a blind spot and can never tell these two obverses apart. It's an 1860 reverse D. So the coin is either F10 or F13.

But is this obverse 2 or obverse 3? The letters in BRITT always look the same to me, and don't look out of alignment. 

Thanks in advance.

ten or thirteen.PNG

Looks like Obv 2 . Bottom of the rose is cut off , and IT of BRITT tilted forward 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

Looks like Obv 2 . Bottom of the rose is cut off , and IT of BRITT tilted forward 

OK, cheers Mick. Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Obverse 2 Mike, 143 teeth, best way to be sure. 

Thanks Ian - much appreciated.

I'm upgrading my F10 with one I've seen on a dealer's website - advertised as a F10, but wasn't 100% certain.

My existing one is only VF. 

Just bought a couple of upgrades from Asprey Coins, based in Havant. In doing so, I had a good long chat with the owner, Mark Horton, on Monday Evening. Easy to talk to and a real coin enthusiast. Anyway, we got round to talking about varieties, and he drew my attention to something - possibly a mini variety - which I've never come across before. Namely slight differences in the E of PENNY in 1900 pennies. Mark had observed that the lower bar of E in penny was straight in some examples, and slightly curved in others. I checked mine, which was curved.

Mark sent me an e mail with some illustrative pics. They're a bit big to use on here, so instead I started looking at 1900 penny examples on e bay, and outsorted a couple of examples.

Straight lower bar of E in PENNY

Slightly curved lower bar of E in PENNY

I've used the direct links as you can employ the zoom feature and see more easily. But he's right, there is a noticeable difference.

Thoughts?

Mark was very happy for me to raise the issue on here and use his name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Just bought a couple of upgrades from Asprey Coins, based in Havant. In doing so, I had a good long chat with the owner, Mark Horton, on Monday Evening. Easy to talk to and a real coin enthusiast. Anyway, we got round to talking about varieties, and he drew my attention to something - possibly a mini variety - which I've never come across before. Namely slight differences in the E of PENNY in 1900 pennies. Mark had observed that the lower bar of E in penny was straight in some examples, and slightly curved in others. I checked mine, which was curved.

Mark sent me an e mail with some illustrative pics. They're a bit big to use on here, so instead I started looking at 1900 penny examples on e bay, and outsorted a couple of examples.

I've used the direct links as you can employ the zoom feature and see more easily. But he's right, there is a noticeable difference.

Thoughts?

Oh, bugger! Another change to the 20th Century bronze varieties book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it rather looks like the type of 'E' used is used for ONE and PENNY.....

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 4:49 PM, alfnail said:

Obverse 2 Mike, 143 teeth, best way to be sure. 

That makes my Mother-in-Law a Type 2 then....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I'd want to see an UNC example of the straight bar to be absolutely sure - the curve might have been flattened out by wear.

50 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd want to see an UNC example of the straight bar to be absolutely sure - the curve might have been flattened out by wear.

Haven't really got the motivation to search tonight, but a cursory glance at the one in Richard's collection shows (interestingly) that the lower bar E of PENNY is curved, whereas the lower bar E in ONE is, seemingly, straight.  

11 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thoughts?

Nice chap is Mark. Spent a few quid with him over the past year and has some nice pieces. Always ready for a chat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thoughts?

I've mentioned this with pictures on my varieties website for Edward VII pennies but haven't noticed it on 1900 pennies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kipster said:

Nice chap is Mark. Spent a few quid with him over the past year and has some nice pieces. Always ready for a chat.

Well the three pieces that I've just bought from him fall into what I call, the classification of "meaningful upgrades". Where the difference between what you've now got and what you had, is very substantial. That makes it well worth the money you spend.   

Bought one of these today, just so someone might talk to me. A common date, but an OK grade I’d say :) 

IMG_7994.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Bought one of these today, just so someone might talk to me. A common date, but an OK grade I’d say :) 

Very nice grade in fact, and issue free.

Whenever I see an 1862, I always automatically look for three possibilities, a) halfpenny sized date, b) VIGTORIA, c) F38. Admittedly all exceedingly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Whenever I see an 1862, I always automatically look for three possibilities, a) halfpenny sized date, b) VIGTORIA, c) F38. Admittedly all exceedingly unlikely.

Thank you, I really appreciate your insights.

With this being a 6+G do you happen to have the Freeman number to hand? I never dreamt I’d be buying such coins ever again, so have long since parted with the book.

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

... and one or two more!!😉 image.png.71d1b8621a56c215923f5553260488e4.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, alfnail said:

... and one or two more!!😉

1971138281_1862F393plumeszoom.JPG.4a9b3d19d25fd60a7f87ab8399f30a1e.JPG

905317213_1862F392over1zoom.JPG.9a0e9baff1334748c355621dcefe8838.JPG

Edited by secret santa
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Coinery said:

With this being a 6+G do you happen to have the Freeman number to hand?

F39

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

... and one or two more!!😉 image.png.71d1b8621a56c215923f5553260488e4.png

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

1971138281_1862F393plumeszoom.JPG.4a9b3d19d25fd60a7f87ab8399f30a1e.JPG

905317213_1862F392over1zoom.JPG.9a0e9baff1334748c355621dcefe8838.JPG

Oh yes, those as well. All in all makes the 1862 possess a world of potential.

• Like 1