British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

That’s a pretty stand-out date alignment…is it possible, like with hammered, to find a better example? I realise die-cracks are one way, of course, but are the ‘modern’ series too plentiful of dies for numeral displacements to work?

2 hours ago, Rob said:

what is it?

Just a normal 4+D.  As stated above, the remains of the LCW is visible below the shield to prove reverse D, and similarly the remains of LC Wyon seems visible entirely below the bust, albeit either with wear or die fill, which would be obverse 4. (Freeman notation)

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

My money's on reverse D - from the rocks either side of the lighthouse. And the remains of the W of LCW.

I agree, I also see the slight indent of the W of LCW ...

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

1883 Penny F116 ,Scarce in high grade NGC MS65RB.

1883m.jpg

This is the one I was after at the Baldwins auction if I didn't get the Sixpence. Lovely specimen.

35 minutes ago, Kipster said:

This is the one I was after at the Baldwins auction if I didn't get the Sixpence. Lovely specimen.

Yes , as you will know it was listed as a F118 and a  F116 which is much scarcer.Although it was expensive , I have never seen a better one.

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes , as you will know it was listed as a F118 and a  F116 which is much scarcer.Although it was expensive , I have never seen a better one.

Indeed. It was only when you mentioned the different F number that I looked and remembered they had it as F118. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the two, but then my eyes aren't what they used to be.

To be honest, there were quite a few that I was after, but bank balance dictated where I went. I did manage to pick up the 1880 farthing as well though. All being said, I thought it was quite a reasonable sale actually. 

On 3/7/2023 at 12:05 PM, 1949threepence said:

Just doesn't look right for a proof does it - the breasts look worn away for a start, and really nothing to distinguish even an impaired proof of this date, from a currency strike, as far as I know. I still maintain that NGC are just taking the grading applicant's word and not checking them out independently.

The Noonan's missing leaf F24 description is laughable. As you say they put reverse D instead of F and didn't even bother at all with a Freeman No !

As for the 1858 large rose "small date", the date is misattributed so often. 

I see they've corrected the F24 missing leaf to reverse F, but inexplicably still haven't noted it as an F24.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I see they've corrected the F24 missing leaf to reverse F, but inexplicably still haven't noted it as an F24.

You can lead a horse to water.....................

• Like 1

19 hours ago, secret santa said:

You can lead a horse to water.....................

.....but a pencil must be lead.

Stan Laurel

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

.....but a pencil must be lead.

Stan Laurel

Stan Laurel? I thought it was Half Man Half Biscuit. 😆

• Haha 1

Spinks e-auction now online and a couple of their penny descriptions aren't brilliant either..... including a far better than usual 1854 No Colons, Bramah 17a. 

• Like 1

Could I ask if anyone is aware of an 1861 penny which , like the 1862, has used the half penny numerals ?  

56 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Could I ask if anyone is aware of an 1861 penny which , like the 1862, has used the half penny numerals ?  

Never seen one, no. Why, do you think you've found  one? 

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

No indeed. Picture please!

16 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Meow!

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Never seen one, no. Why, do you think you've found  one? 

The coin is not yet in the hand and it appears to have 3 small numbers in the date which have been overstamped the 8 is clear and the last 1 and some evidence of the first 1.  If the mistake was corrected before any strikes then it is only important to me but I was not sure if it was known. 

Edited by DrLarry

2 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

I have tried to get the best from the photo I have but when it arrives I will do a better job.   As I say there is a smaller first 1 the 8 and the last 1 distinctly smaller above sticking out I will check my overs to compare 

s-l1600 (16).jpg

I seem to have another with a small six and the 1 over a 1  the obverse seems to have an O over an O off to the right and an A over an A  B over B and some repuncing of the colons I will check the new one to see what the observe is like ... the colon doubling seems the same and the A ... It is not too important I just wondered if the small date existed.  I have a dozen or so date errors i the 61's so they were probably just a bit careless with punching 

s-l1600 (18) (640x615).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

19 hours ago, DrLarry said:

I seem to have another with a small six and the 1 over a 1  the obverse seems to have an O over an O off to the right and an A over an A  B over B and some repuncing of the colons I will check the new one to see what the observe is like ... the colon doubling seems the same and the A ... It is not too important I just wondered if the small date existed.  I have a dozen or so date errors i the 61's so they were probably just a bit careless with punching 

s-l1600 (18) (640x615).jpg

I have a very similar overstrike 1/1, though I'm not sure the dies are the same but it is an F33. I don't think there is anything special about the digit punches, but it is notable that the 'P' of PENNY is an open 'P'. Richard describes this on an F20 and a couple of proofs, but is it often seen on F33?

1861 F33 1 over 1  close.jpg

1861 F33 1 over 1 open P close.jpg

image341.jpg

image342.jpg

I've just checked my own 1861 over 1 and, surprise surprise, it also has an open P, although I can't make my mind up whether it's exactly the same font as seen on my F20 and the F36 and 37 proofs.

422810042_1861F331over1zoom3.JPG.62ad699ee2178e641540021f7fd8eaf9.JPG99622813_1861F20revzoom.jpg.d790b66e3b6e93f1e69af1d6ef526cf2.jpg1944330531_1861F36proofrevzoom.JPG.3b8cbe1921254472aaee903165134f9d.JPG2097910714_1861F37proofreveditedzoom1.jpg.c14b941eeb0c77cb20e805d6fbb05c32.jpg

F33 1 over 1, F36, F37, F20 - it's the foot of the P that is clearly indented on the right hand 3 coins but I'm not sure about the F33.

Interestingly, the F36 also has a 1 over 1 although the date is wider:

1411076131_1861F36proofrevzoom2.JPG.69e0f0e42c35618d5bc158e70b5c348e.JPG

Edited by secret santa
addition
  • Like 2

The top left 'corner' of the inner loop looks to be the same profile on the 20, 36 &37, but not the 33. The end of the tail doesn't look as sharp either.

4 hours ago, jelida said:

image341.jpg

image342.jpg

I will go through my other 1 over 1's and look at the P  see if it is open.  The thing that intrigued me about this one I originally listed is this * ...I have a few with * over *'s but they are usually to the side , this one give the appearance of a smaller 8 overstamped.  I checked all the ones I have with 8's and 6's overstamped but could ot find one with the 8 looking so strange.  when it arrives from the US I will add to the images ... but thanks for taking a look for me