British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

If its dated 1717 it has to be rare anyway

Just to clarify for Old Copper, as 3b was described as very rare.

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Well young folks these days would be far better off concentrateing on putting a roof over their heads than obtaining a coin collection , so I see their point

Absolutely. I think it's got to be the same for vast majority. In your late teens, twenties and even thirties, you're making your way in the world (jobs, marriage, kids etc), and hobbies might have to be put aside.    

Looking back at https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-penny-1933-ms63-brown-ngc-a/a/3105-32230.s it says that year sets (as opposed to just single pennies) were interred under new buildings. My understanding was always that it was the penny but I guess that explains the 1933 proof being from a proof set. I wonder if the under foundation stones have proof sets too and the other four examples are circulation coins.

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

Looking back at https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-penny-1933-ms63-brown-ngc-a/a/3105-32230.s it says that year sets (as opposed to just single pennies) were interred under new buildings. My understanding was always that it was the penny but I guess that explains the 1933 proof being from a proof set. I wonder if the under foundation stones have proof sets too and the other four examples are circulation coins.

Exactly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr T said:

Indeed - there wouldn't have been any point minting a few pennies for that purpose unless they were to make up a set!

On 12/26/2022 at 8:18 AM, blakeyboy said:

I do side with Groucho on this sometimes....a lot of it it stems from not feeling welcome at any club when young.

An erroneous view, sure, but easy to have when the world is big and disconcerting.....

Who is this "Groucho" you speak of?

As far as collecting goes, one thing is becoming very noticeable in recent years, and that is the absolutely massive hike in rare proof prices. For example the 1861 Freeman 37 proof penny sold at the Copthorne Auction in 2016 for £1800 hammer (+17% buyers premium = £2106). Absolutely superb specimen. Another F37 (not quite as good IMO) is now being offered by another dealer for £4250 cash. So roughly a doubling of value in 6 and a half years, although must take some inflationary effect into account in the intervening period.

I've absolutely no doubt it will sell and soon.

Other proof specimens - notably at the recent Australian Noble Verene proofs sale emphasise this quite profound rise in proof coinage values over a short period.

Also, take a quick dekko at the popular George V 1937 four coin gold proof sets (five pounds to half sovereign). They too have seen a massive hike, although again, some of this may reflect a rise in bullion prices.        

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Probably Groucho Marx who famously said that he didn't want to be part of any club that would accept him as a member !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Probably Groucho Marx who famously said that he didn't want to be part of any club that would accept him as a member !

Thanks Richard - forgive my ignorance. 

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

:o

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

There is only one "Groucho"!

Or, as he was introduced on "You Bet Your Life", the quiz show that he hosted. Here he is, the one, the only, Groucho Marx.

Groucho Marx of Marx Brothers fame. Although probably most famous on his own in later years.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

As far as collecting goes, one thing is becoming very noticeable in recent years, and that is the absolutely massive hike in rare proof prices. For example the 1861 Freeman 37 proof penny sold at the Copthorne Auction in 2016 for £1800 hammer (+17% buyers premium = £2106). Absolutely superb specimen. Another F37 (not quite as good IMO) is now being offered by another dealer for £4250 cash. So roughly a doubling of value in 6 and a half years, although must take some inflationary effect into account in the intervening period.

I've absolutely no doubt it will sell and soon.

Other proof specimens - notably at the recent Australian Noble Verene proofs sale emphasise this quite profound rise in proof coinage values over a short period.

Also, take a quick dekko at the popular George V 1937 four coin gold proof sets (five pounds to half sovereign). They too have seen a massive hike, although again, some of this may reflect a rise in bullion prices.        

10 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

There is only one "Groucho"!

Or, as he was introduced on "You Bet Your Life", the quiz show that he hosted. Here he is, the one, the only, Groucho Marx.

Groucho Marx of Marx Brothers fame. Although probably most famous on his own in later years.

Sorry - been busy - yes- his comment about not going any clubs....and yes, there was only one Groucho...

1912 penny which I call -  Titanic on the horizon. 

I first discovered a very worn example back in 2011 , and first mentioned it on the forum back in 2016.   I've been looking for a really good example for the last 11 years, and only now has an uncirculated example finally turned up.    It actually looks like a plume of smoke rising from an old coal fired steam ship going over the horizon, and being a 1912 penny its association with the Titanic is obvious. 

1524809523_1912smokeonhorizonyearoftheTitanic.thumb.JPG.75f0a9bd1d9f610cb3d80f6d1010e2af.JPG

LOL  I am not accepting the titanic going down in the far distance 😤 unless you all agree my 1806 half penny ship is on flames and sinking....under attack from the French 

CM230104-201538001 (258x380).jpgCM230104-201613002 (281x380).jpg

IMG_20140510_001217_778 (754x800).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

It actually looks like a plume of smoke rising from an old coal fired steam ship going over the horizon

It looks more like Donald Campbell in Bluebird to me.

Titanic went down on 14/4/12 - presumably some pennies were struck after that?!

...it actually looks like that first sighting of Admiral Graf Spee in the 'Battle of the River Plate'....

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Titanic went down on 14/4/12 - presumably some pennies were struck after that?!

I often wonder if engravers at minting houses sometimes make these secretive marks just for the fun of it, no one would ever really notice if an engraver added a flick here or there.  They would know and might point it out now and again.  Alternatively they might have just slipped and then  hoped no one would notice 😊 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, alfnail said:

1912 Dolphin.jpg

Ah, so the Titanic hit the Loch Ness Monster, not an iceberg?

• Haha 2

The iceberg was struck, then the pennies were struck. As simple as.

• Haha 1