British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Not sure of that, but from what Dave said, the police aren't experiencing much success when it comes to catching such criminals, so it pays to be properly insured, if you possibly can be. 

I don't know how you can avoid robberies outside coin fairs, unless there is a police presence. But they're far they appear more concerned with "offensive" comments on twitter, then with tackling violent crime. At any rate that's the perception.  

I doubt if there are many numismatists working with the police, or even been asked to help.(with there enquiries)

On 10/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, oldcopper said:

I note they've got a lower grade SD Large Rose estimate £4-500. Dave Craddock had one he called GF/NVF for £70, but I only saw his list yesterday and it had gone of course. Sounds comparable.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, 1949threepence said:

I've ordered it. Was in my e mails when Dave's list arrived this time, instead of hours behind and finding what I wanted had already gone. 

Received it today. Would grade about fine.

I was slightly concerned that it might be a large rose, large date specimen, as so many times the two (large and small date) are confused. But I needn't have worried. It's the real deal. The bulbous end of the date 5 top bar is slightly worn, but still there under magnification. Plus the other indicators are in place, such as the die crack through the 5, some die clash marks off Britannia's right arm, and the colon being closer to the F of DEF.

Apologies for picture size disparity. I had this sorted, but the solution no longer works, unfortunately.

large rose small date obv cropped.jpg

large rose small date rev cropped.jpg

• Like 6

Talking about large rose pennies, I just saw this large rose, large date specimen on offer by Cooper's Coins for £675 (link). That seems to be slightly on the expensive side. I got mine in April 2021 (also off e bay) and marginally better, for £155. Don't think they're desperately rare. Although you don't see that many on offer    

I think that the large rose variety has been getting a bit of publicity lately and dealers are probably cashing in.

22 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I think that the large rose variety has been getting a bit of publicity lately and dealers are probably cashing in.

Probably so.

No doubt someone will buy it.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Talking about large rose pennies, I just saw this large rose, large date specimen on offer by Cooper's Coins for £675 (link). That seems to be slightly on the expensive side. I got mine in April 2021 (also off e bay) and marginally better, for £155. Don't think they're desperately rare. Although you don't see that many on offer    

The Cooper's coin has been on ebay at that price for a while Mike. In my opinion you did very well if you got a better one for only £155.

The LRLD is still very difficult to find, even if not quite as rare as the small date variety.

P.S. Congratulations on your Dave Craddock purchase, it had gone by the time I contacted him later in the day!

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

The Cooper's coin has been on ebay at that price for a while Mike. In my opinion you did very well if you got a better one for only £155.

The LRLD is still very difficult to find, even if not quite as rare as the small date variety.

I don't think I ever posted it on here, Ian. Maybe discounting it as an "average" coin. But here it is, along with the old e bay purchase record. 

P.S. Congratulations on your Dave Craddock purchase, it had gone by the time I contacted him later in the day!

Was very, very lucky with this as I just happened to be in my e mail in box when Dave's e mail came through, so clicked on it immediately. Was calling him 3 or 4 minutes later. Makes up for the several previous times when I've missed out as I've not realised until a day later that he'd sent one.    

large rose large date obv cropped.jpg

large rose large date rev cropped.jpg

emeeco.PNG

• Like 1

Yes the Large date is only what i consider rare in grades above VF ,like most copper penny varieties you can find most if you look hard enough.

Try finding them in high grade though......

I have this Large date in the Baldwin Auction and not many as good to the best of my knowledge ,if it wasnt for the ejection pinch at the top i feel it may of graded higher.

largerose.jpg

• Like 4

On 30 October 2022 at 4:53 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Yes the Large date is only what i consider rare in grades above VF ,like most copper penny varieties you can find most if you look hard enough.

I have just put on eBay a reasonable grade 1858 large rose (large date, sadly!!) penny, which members might be interested in, along with a few other lower grade scarcities and date width varieties. The link to the listings is :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=285024221493&_ssn=1970kit&_sop=10

Hope they might perhaps be of use to members...

Cheers!

• Like 3

1856 - large date or small date?

I can't quite place it either way.

Thanks in advance

ORN large date 1856 cropped.PNG

1 hour ago, Iannich48 said:

I would say small date.

That was my immediate thought too. But 1856 small dates invariably seem to sort of symmetrically lean into each other. This one doesn't - although might be an optical illusion.

Thanks chaps, small date it is. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, secret santa said:

The 6 is always the clincher - quite different on the 2 dates:

373605084_1856P1510PTzoomedited.jpg.24170aefeced352d04e0bcada1479db2.jpg1133261761_1856P1512OTobvzoomedited.jpg.7ab0fd9aa2e74b73c1e8ac4dc9ecbf90.jpg

Thanks Richard.

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

1856 - large date or small date?

I can't quite place it either way.

Thanks in advance

ORN large date 1856 cropped.PNG

Please advise me  ...is the smaller date less common than the large ?  just out of interest ..thanks 

52 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Please advise me  ...is the smaller date less common than the large ?  just out of interest ..thanks 

It depends which year and date type. But either way, I think Ian @alfnail would be far better placed to answer your question than me. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

It depends which year and date type. But either way, I think Ian @alfnail would be far better placed to answer your question than me. 

I only meant the 1856 , but thanks 

The 1856 plain trident have both the large date and small date, but i believe that the small date is rarer on those. However, the ornamental trident is only found with the small date as far as i know. So overall, probably the small date is slightly rarer.

22 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Here are the stats from my 5 years capture of YH penny ebay listings, from over a decade ago. I think if I were to now repeat the exercise (which I won't!) there will no longer be as many 1856's appearing. It seems that for Plain Tridents the small and large numeral types appear in similar numbers. 

1386059592_1856Volumes.jpg.15acd23c640fb4f732d5525b3e643833.jpg

I was a bit surprised when I did this exercise to find that approx. one third were OT's; I had expected fewer. It is still one of the few coins I seek in high grade for my collection, so it's annoying that there were examples like the one pictured below which got away from me!

0031o.thumb.jpg.b0699852e9ddbbae207b6c94404a7099.jpg0031r.thumb.jpg.d24ec06dd54801913ff45d7859d1bf73.jpg

• Like 4

Here are the stats from my 5 years capture of YH penny ebay listings, from over a decade ago. I think if I were to now repeat the exercise (which I won't!) there will no longer be as many 1856's appearing. It seems that for Plain Tridents the small and large numeral types appear in similar numbers. 

1386059592_1856Volumes.jpg.15acd23c640fb4f732d5525b3e643833.jpg

I was a bit surprised when I did this exercise to find that approx. one third were OT's; I had expected fewer. It is still one of the few coins I seek in high grade for my collection, so it's annoying that there were examples like the one pictured below which got away from me!

0031o.thumb.jpg.b0699852e9ddbbae207b6c94404a7099.jpg0031r.thumb.jpg.d24ec06dd54801913ff45d7859d1bf73.jpg

congratulations that is a good piece of work over a long period