British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Also yes please Ian. :)

Can someone ID this 1874H REV for me please

Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 21.25.08.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Freeman reverse H

Thanks Bernie

One thats a bit different that Baldwin have bought , much better than the other they sold not long ago.

Gold penny and with provenance back to 1871.

311463760_786877562420384_8140199721305448701_n.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 3

On 10/20/2022 at 8:08 PM, PWA 1967 said:

One thats a bit different that Baldwin have bought , much better than the other they sold not long ago.

Gold penny and with provenance back to 1871.

311463760_786877562420384_8140199721305448701_n.jpg

Sorry, but why handle this coin without gloves?

Gold doesn't tarnish. And gloves can make you clumsy. Dropping a coin like that is more risk than fingerprints to the edge that would clean if required.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

Gold doesn't tarnish. And gloves can make you clumsy. Dropping a coin like that is more risk than fingerprints to the edge that would clean if required.

Mildly surprised that a coin of that class that isn't slabbed for protection from dropping onto hard surfaces and such like. Maybe the owner was worried it would never come back,or doesn't like slabs. 

• Like 3

I have many 19th and 20th century sovs, none of which look anything like this.

That's a weirdly yellow/green gold. Solid or plated?

Edited by Michael-Roo

21 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I have many 19th and 20th century sovs, none of which look anything like this.

That's a weirdly yellow/green gold. Solid or plated?

It'll be interesting to see what the provenance back to 1871 actually is. 

Hopefully we'll find out when Baldwin's list it. 

It'll probably be Murdoch 213 which was given as ex Capt. Parr, Marshall, Addington and Montagu. It's not the Duveen coin (P1111), ex Wertheimer and Farouk that's listed by Peck, as that was VF and a bit worn from the images. Picture of the reverse would have helped, but there's only 3 types likely based on Peck - KP14, KP15 & R56

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It'll probably be Murdoch 213 which was given as ex Capt. Parr, Marshall, Addington and Montagu. It's not the Duveen coin (P1111), ex Wertheimer and Farouk that's listed by Peck, as that was VF and a bit worn from the images. Picture of the reverse would have helped, but there's only 3 types likely based on Peck - KP14, KP15 & R56

Great, thanks.

Pete sent me this if it helps. :)

Gold cartwheel.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Pete sent me this if it helps. :)

Thanks Jon & Pete - the coin was sold by Baldwin of St James on 27th October 2020 for £130k - lot No 1047 - link.

So does this mean that Baldwins have acquired it again recently?  

Obviously the hand held pic above is not an official catalogue pic. 

Baldwin bought the coin last Tuesday and the OBV picture just a quick one on the day they bought it.

The coin has now SOLD though ,just incase anyone was interested ,rather than wasting your time making enquiries.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, TomGoodheart said:

Baldwin's did a video on exactly that point. They don't wear gloves for any metal, which with expensive copper personally I would say is a bit risky. Still, risk/benefit of more likelihood of dropping it I suppose.  

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Baldwin bought the coin last Tuesday and the OBV picture just a quick one on the day they bought it.

The coin has now SOLD though ,just incase anyone was interested ,rather than wasting your time making enquiries.

Do you know what it sold for this time round?

Mark Rasmussen also sold this coin on List 9, though it only had "SOLD" next to it in the catalogue, no price. What a tease!

On 10/22/2022 at 2:08 AM, Bruce said:

Go through the catalogue yesterday, but a bit fuzzy about grading of some bun head pennies...they said UNC, but i think it is not only 1 grade below it🙄

I note they've got a lower grade SD Large Rose estimate £4-500. Dave Craddock had one he called GF/NVF for £70, but I only saw his list yesterday and it had gone of course. Sounds comparable.

27 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

I note they've got a lower grade SD Large Rose estimate £4-500. Dave Craddock had one he called GF/NVF for £70, but I only saw his list yesterday and it had gone of course. Sounds comparable.

I've ordered it. Was in my e mails when Dave's list arrived this time, instead of hours behind and finding what I wanted had already gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

Yes Dave phoned me Sunday asking why he had lots of people ask him for it , as he didnt think they were rare and seen and had plenty Large roses.

By his own admission he didnt know the SMALL date was worth more and just priced as large rose 😀

The coin in Balwin is mine and the Low estimate of £400 i felt going off previous sales with only a few known fair.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Actually I had a good old chat with Dave when I called him. Obviously he was involved in a robbery in January, and he was telling me that another dealer, Malcolm Ellis, was robbed of his gold stock amounting to about a quarter of a million pounds. Appalling.   

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Actually I had a good old chat with Dave when I called him. Obviously he was involved in a robbery in January, and he was telling me that another dealer, Malcolm Ellis, was robbed of his gold stock amounting to about a quarter of a million pounds. Appalling.   

Yes, shocking. I wonder if that is £250,000 retail and what the bullion value would be to those scumbag thieves.

6 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Yes, shocking. I wonder if that is £250,000 retail and what the bullion value would be to those scumbag thieves.

Not sure of that, but from what Dave said, the police aren't experiencing much success when it comes to catching such criminals, so it pays to be properly insured, if you possibly can be. 

I don't know how you can avoid robberies outside coin fairs, unless there is a police presence. But they're far they appear more concerned with "offensive" comments on twitter, then with tackling violent crime. At any rate that's the perception.  

Edited by 1949threepence