British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

What do you reckon chaps, 1865/3 or just plain 1865?

1865 rev1.PNG

I'd say a plain 1865. The 3 isn't fully curved, it's the type with two straight lines for the upper, so a 5/3 shows a straight line angling down from the top right to where the 5 begins to curve. I see no trace of that. However, it's a very nice 1865.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Not the greatest photo but I see no trace of a 3.

18 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd say a plain 1865. The 3 isn't fully curved, it's the type with two straight lines for the upper, so a 5/3 shows a straight line angling down from the top right to where the 5 begins to curve. I see no trace of that. However, it's a very nice 1865.

Precisely my thoughts. But Colin Cooke are asking £1750 for it as a 5/3. Also mentions that it's a Satin 56c. Not sure if that makes any difference, as I don't have a Satin, unfortunately.

I think the one above it, for £975, definitely is a 5/3, but like you, I don't see any trace of a 3 in the expensive specimen.

link 

Yes its an 1865/3 ,just not very clear on the picture.

The coin was mine and the Satin type of which there are four was confirmed by John Jerrams for me a few years ago.

13 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

You have had some cracking coins Pete!

Does this help?

image.png.6f3c293edde6c2c49b70be8a37af824c.png

Could that possibly be 5/4? My eyes were immediately drawn to the vertical line above the 5 loop and not the spur off the end of the 5 top

I thought ide post this one as it may be of interest to some of you. It's an 1863 penny with a dot, well a dash really under the D in F D in the shape of a half round dot.

1507596243_DSCN3491-Copy.JPG.253bdb96e91c299bbb1e02cd175f5fd4.JPG494607133_1863withadashundertheDinFD.JPG.8137805342ba7ba3622fbb0b82887484.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting one, Terry. Looks like a half Moon, as though part has been cut off. 

Yes, it's a really attractive and unusual shape, and is almost perfectly positioned centrally underneath the D.

Edited by terrysoldpennies

On 9/21/2022 at 12:34 PM, Rob said:

Could that possibly be 5/4? My eyes were immediately drawn to the vertical line above the 5 loop and not the spur off the end of the 5 top

Who knows. It certainly looks unique. But it just doesn't look like a 5/3, which typically show a line at a roughly 45 degree angle running South Westwards from the top bar of the 5 - as shown by Michael Gouby here

Hopefully someone here bought this on eBay last friday night ,if you did can you confirm it please as obviously only going off the picture or message me.

Well done ,you were super quick.

I saw it listed on my phone ,looked at the REV nothing ,looked at the OBV ,went to buy it £1-50 SOLD 😂😂

IMG_5829.jpg

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hopefully someone here bought this on eBay last friday night ,if you did can you confirm it please as obviously only going off the picture or message me.

I saw it listed on my phone ,looked at the REV nothing ,looked at the OBV ,went to buy it £1-50 SOLD 😂😂

IMG_5829.jpg

Wow. Vigtoria.

Edited by Iannich48
Smart ass spell check strikes again.

On 10/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, PWA 1967 said:

IMG_5829.jpg

In response to the comment by PWA 1967, Forum members may be interested to know that I was the fortunate buyer of the 1862 VIGTORIA penny on eBay (images attached).

Because of problems encountered while posting to this website, I’ve asked Bernie to kindly post this message for me.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

1862 VIGTORIA penny obv2.JPG

1862 VIGTORIA penny rev2.JPG

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I was the fortunate buyer of the 1862 VIGTORIA penny

Well done, Paul - I'm still looking for one of these.

Sorry i know its only a date width ,however i believe these to be rare in grades above VG.

If anyone has one better than VG can you let me know please.

BP1896Ad   11-5 teeth ,with the 6 to the right of a tooth.

280737151_556392446156221_181867813022983560_n.jpg

• Like 1

Reason i put this on is the coin has gone to auction with some others and did not want to suggest to the cataloguer something that wasnt correct or misleading.

I think " Rare with very few known above VG grade " is honest ,i didnt want the coin to be listed and then find out there were plenty i didnt know about.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hi Pete,

Just checked back through all my 1896 sales and never had an Ad. Had all the other 1896 date widths though, so guessing it is fairly rare, although I never search for that type nowadays.

I do still look for the 1889 wide date and was quite jealous when I saw the one you found!!

• Thanks 1

Would anyone be interested in seeing some work I have done on Victorian Young Head Numeral 5 Fonts?

If I get a few 'yes' replies I will put on the site, but I don't want to fill it up with large pictures for those who aren't interested.

I can always send the details by PM........assuming she's still available...........ha ha!!

4 hours ago, alfnail said:

Would anyone be interested in seeing some work I have done on Victorian Young Head Numeral 5 Fonts?

If I get a few 'yes' replies I will put on the site, but I don't want to fill it up with large pictures for those who aren't interested.

I can always send the details by PM........assuming she's still available...........ha ha!!

If you could send me an e mail as well, Ian, I'd be most grateful.