British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Did anyone on here buy the 3rd known 1860 I over T last week (Roxbury auction, Australia) ?

1618093977_1860F15IoverT2zoom.jpg.df529cf48b62e49196e11fce816144ae.jpg

Yup.

Jerry

• Like 5

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Did anyone on here buy the 3rd known 1860 I over T last week (Roxbury auction, Australia) ?

1618093977_1860F15IoverT2zoom.jpg.df529cf48b62e49196e11fce816144ae.jpg

No, but what did it make? Can you post a link to the lot ? Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

No, but what did it make? Can you post a link to the lot ? Cheers.

About £1960, after commissions, taxes, insurance and postage, and I might end up with 5% import vat too though Australian purchases often sneak through for me.

Jerry

• Like 2

Thanks very much Richard and well spotted and well bought, Jerry. At least one other penny person spotted it to push it this high, seeing the estimate Roxbury's had put on it... 😃

Anyone bought this coin?

It came up on ebay whilst I was on holidays and I couldn't have a proper look. It had a couple of early bids and then disappeared, as some rarer ones often do!!

It looked to me like it may have been the rare reverse, and now I'm thinking it was an F24 with top leaf missing. In which case I'm guessing that Richard would like to add to the 5 pieces he has on his rarestpennies site. Maybe a member could confirm.

1861 F24 Top Leaf Missing.jpg

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Anyone bought this coin?

It came up on ebay whilst I was on holidays and I couldn't have a proper look. It had a couple of early bids and then disappeared, as some rarer ones often do!!

It looked to me like it may have been the rare reverse, and now I'm thinking it was an F24 with top leaf missing. In which case I'm guessing that Richard would like to add to the 5 pieces he has on his rarestpennies site. Maybe a member could confirm.

Not me, more's the pity. 

Nor me- I passed on it since it's nowhere near as nice as my current example.

Just kidding...:-(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is this why we can't find an 1863 Die Number 1; they've gone and put it in the wrong place!?

Numeral 3 looks a bit odd too.

1863 Die Number 1 Combined.jpg

That's an 1882H, no? The 6 has been reworked looking at the varied toning and the 3 looks to be a 2 with modifications.

11 hours ago, alfnail said:

Anyone bought this coin?

1861 F24 Top Leaf Missing.jpg

Not me, though I was watching. An F24 I’m sure, and possibly missing leaf. The second ‘1’ of the date is in the right place.

Jerry

11 hours ago, alfnail said:

I'm guessing that Richard would like to add to the 5 pieces he has on his rarestpennies site.

It's been up there as no.6 for a few weeks !

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Couldn't get to the top spot because of bloody Joe Dolce....

????

Sorry, what's Vienna got to do with an F24?

In an attempt to get back to pennies, did anyone see this 'Triple F' on ebay a couple of weeks back?

Sold for £57.99, with several bidders, even with the hole in it.

Image 3 - 1860 PENNY - TRIPLE F

Yes, I was surprised at that. I've never been all that fussed about the triple F, even though it's a very clear "variety". There do seem to have been plenty of examples over the years.

• Like 1

I often look out for rarer coins with holes directly from dealers. I got a 1927 proof threepence for £10 a few years back and a silver 1804 dollar for £40.  They seem to go for more on eBay.

20 hours ago, The Future said:

I often look out for rarer coins with holes directly from dealers. I got a 1927 proof threepence for £10 a few years back and a silver 1804 dollar for £40.  They seem to go for more on eBay.

Sorry to interrupt the interesting Prisoner thread, but I thought I would talk about pennies again if that's ok.

If 'The Future', or anyone else for that matter, is interested in rarer coins with holes in them, then they may want to purchase my spare 1858 Large Rose pictured below.

Probably rarer than the 1860 Triple F, which went for £57.99, but I would be happy to sell it for less than that..........if anyone wants to wear it around their neck or something!

PM me if interested.

1970134094_1858LargeRoseHoled.thumb.jpg.7da0ecc3d55409a8c1f6569a8169fc51.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 4:40 PM, alfnail said:

Sorry to interrupt the interesting Prisoner thread, but I thought I would talk about pennies again if that's ok.

If 'The Future', or anyone else for that matter, is interested in rarer coins with holes in them, then they may want to purchase my spare 1858 Large Rose pictured below.

Probably rarer than the 1860 Triple F, which went for £57.99, but I would be happy to sell it for less than that..........if anyone wants to wear it around their neck or something!

PM me if interested.

1970134094_1858LargeRoseHoled.thumb.jpg.7da0ecc3d55409a8c1f6569a8169fc51.jpg

Pennies having holes drilled through them was very much a 19th century trend. Not many from the 20th. 

Same with letters and names being stamped in the fields of coins. 

Wonder what the psychology or practicality of it all was

The holes were practical in some countries, coins worn on strings around the neck, like this tiny West African 1/10th penny

72557f.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

The holes were practical in some countries, coins worn on strings around the neck, like this tiny West African 1/10th penny

Yes, they were obviously minted with that in mind. 

Indeed the only genuine EDWARD VIII penny I could afford has a hole !!!

1740986117_1936HedwardviiiHeatonmintlow.thumb.jpg.e3e25dfaafac6418858b3f54f3d6c017.jpg

1098121991_1936edwardviiirev_low.thumb.jpg.332f15cdc4d640e17d70d675fc91e45c.jpg

• Like 3

Just sold this coin to another member.

Richard, you may wish to add to your rarestpennies website

737631731_1858LargeRoseSmallDate.thumb.jpg.703f54f39ebb97d2a739c8f6a53f373b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

Richard, you may wish to add to your rarestpennies website

Done - thanks Ian.