British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Whilst not in the same league as the last couple of pennies, I was nevertheless quite pleased to obtain this 1903 open date. It's only GF, but is much better the the VG example I've currently got. Was well worth the upgrade as it is very difficult to obtain any 1903 open 3, above a well worn VG. Although I am aware there's a very nice GVF specimen out there.

open 3 rev cropped.jpg

open 3 obv cropped.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1858 Large rose SMALL date.

1858-1.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 4

On 5/18/2022 at 2:56 PM, 1949threepence said:

Whilst not in the same league as the last couple of pennies, I was nevertheless quite pleased to obtain this 1903 open date. It's only GF, but is much better the the VG example I've currently got. Was well worth the upgrade as it is very difficult to obtain any 1903 open 3, above a well worn VG. Although I am aware there's a very nice GVF specimen out there.

open 3 rev cropped.jpg

open 3 obv cropped.jpg

That looks pretty decent to me. Don't recall seeing a better. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

That looks pretty decent to me. Don't recall seeing a better. :)

Thanks Jon.

The best one to date, is the specimen which sold at the September 2014 LCA, and can be seen here 

• Like 2

My local hospital recently unearthed a time capsule from 1903 and there was a picture in the paper of some coins, including an uncirculated penny. Unfortunately they only pictured the obverse - all I could think was "turn it over". :lol:

11 hours ago, secret santa said:

Actually, I think this is the best one

1501758017_1903open3uncrev-Copy.jpg.48002ae8659f95a7c3f18b07b73d98b6.jpg

What's the provenance with that one, Richard?

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I think it was from the big Photoshop Sale last year - Baldwins, I believe ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I can't remember. I have an idea it was posted on the Forum several years ago but I can't remember by whom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I can't remember. I have an idea it was posted on the Forum several years ago but I can't remember by whom.

Prax or his mate Gary put the picture on from memory ,although dont think it was theres and just a picture.

Be nice to know its genuine and not an edited picture and that it really does exist.

Noticed this protrusion bottom right of the numeral 3 on an 1863; can't see any other bits sticking out. 

Looks like it is from original minting, anyone else seen this before?

It's similar to the the 1857 Gouby F numeral 5, also pictured below.

1863 3 Protrusion.jpg

1857 Gouby F  Date.jpg

Halfpenny 3 punch possibly if the small protrusion to the right of the upper section is related. My screen also shows a thin line continuing across the vertical level with the base of the top bar.  

3 over slightly rotated 3, I would say.

Jerry

Thanks for comments. Taken another picture from different angle, best definition I can get.

Is it worth me having a scrape underneath the top bar to see if I can remove a bit of grime to reveal any further detail; not sure it's exciting enough to warrant the effort!? 

3 close Up.jpg

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

Thanks for comments. Taken another picture from different angle, best definition I can get.

Is it worth me having a scrape underneath the top bar to see if I can remove a bit of grime to reveal any further detail; not sure it's exciting enough to warrant the effort!? 

3 close Up.jpg

Soft artists brush, maybe cut to 1cm, and a dip in petrol and gentle scrub gets rid of that gubbins in no time. Might be worth it anyway, the sweat, salts and grease can be a trigger for verdigris. Doesn’t leave a mark, though I usually dab with acetone after, petrol is not pure.

Jerry

Jerry, you might be able to afford to use petrol for this, but some people will have to stick to using a good Macallan as usual.....

• Haha 1

@secret santa - Richard, great article by you, about the dot pennies, in the June edition of Coin News.

Really interesting and well worth a read. In fact it was so good, I read it more than once. 

Thanks very much indeed. 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, we were talking about the 1882 F114, with a possible 2/1.

One sold yesterday, and to me, remains of the one is visible underneath the 2.

take a look

51 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

A few weeks ago, we were talking about the 1882 F114, with a possible 2/1.

One sold yesterday, and to me, remains of the one is visible underneath the 2.

take a look

Yes, I noted that. But is is F114 or F111?  I think there is a gap between the R and the I,  though the photo is not great.

Jerry

I wasnt sure ,so as it was in an auction sent the link to someone i know.

They asked the seller as it was started at about £280 who replied it was a F114 but NOT a 2 over 1 ,so unless the seller did not look closely enough it wasnt one and just a mark showing on the picture.

3 hours ago, jelida said:

Yes, I noted that. But is is F114 or F111?  I think there is a gap between the R and the I,  though the photo is not great.

Jerry

Pic isn't brilliant but I think it's a 114. 

I reckon somebody's taken a chance on it, hence the high price. 

Photo was not definitive enough to take a chance on though. 

27 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Pic isn't brilliant but I think it's a 114. 

I reckon somebody's taken a chance on it, hence the high price. 

Photo was not definitive enough to take a chance on though. 

Agreed. I couldn't see anything - outside my imagination - that might have suggested an overdate.