British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 hours ago, alfnail said:

I see that the 1847 Medusa sold for 3,000 US Dollars Hammer last night. Guess that's the 13th now known. 

Didn't see that. What sort of condition was it, Ian?

Do you have a link to it?

17 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Didn't see that. What sort of condition was it, Ian?

Do you have a link to it?

https://www.sarc.auction/item.aspx?i=44913634

• Thanks 1

The USD 3k + commission seems a bit rich? Maybe not and just for me...

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

The USD 3k + commission seems a bit rich? Maybe not and just for me...

hmmm, possibly. Although it is very rare, doesn't come up often, and that one is problem free in higher grade.

The last one I recall on offer was a much inferior example from Coopers Coins for about £800 and something, back in 2020.

I don't think I'd regard it as a complete rip off.

18 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't think I'd regard it as a complete rip off.

Its rarity is comparable with the 1877 F90 which would fetch much more in that condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Its rarity is comparable with the 1877 F90 which would fetch much more in that condition.

Indeed. I bet you'd easily be looking at five figures for an 1877 narrow date in that condition.  

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed. I bet you'd easily be looking at five figures for an 1877 narrow date in that condition.  

Just chucking my two pennorth in here...

I would argue that the bun penny market has generally always been larger than the copper series; also, the wide / narrow date varieties are immediately recognisable even to novices, and it's USUALLY (though not invariable) the case that the more recognisable a variety is, the more popular it is and therefore the higher the prices achievable.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Incidentally, what is the best known specimen of the 1877 narrow date? And anyone got a picture?!  😄   None of the 14 (or 13, given that very worn, very suspect one at specimen 11 which for me has the first 7 too high and too tilted to match the definite ones...) on Richard's website would get above fine, for me. And if a fair one is going for anything between 4.5 and 7K, what price a VF or even EF one?? By the way, did anyone here get that one off eBay from the States recently and could post a better picture?

I agree (although the Victorian copper proof penny prices seem to be going through the roof), but I used the comparison just to say that I didn't think the Medusa price was unreasonable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Incidentally, what is the best known specimen of the 1877 narrow date? And anyone got a picture?!

657795541_1877F90Uncobv_edited.jpg.467f8ba3cfa73abfb5d0b10608f0f0af.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Incidentally, what is the best known specimen of the 1877 narrow date? And anyone got a picture?!  😄   None of the 14 (or 13, given that very worn, very suspect one at specimen 11 which for me has the first 7 too high and too tilted to match the definite ones...) on Richard's website would get above fine, for me. And if a fair one is going for anything between 4.5 and 7K, what price a VF or even EF one?? By the way, did anyone here get that one off eBay from the States recently and could post a better picture?

I have to agree regarding specimen 11,  it does not look right for the currently known F90 reverse, though I’m not sure what it is.

And if you are talking about the F90 from Australia, it is now conserved and in my cabinet,  at last one I can live with. I will post updated photos shortly.

And I don’t think the price of the 1847 Medusa is that unreasonable either,  a bit over £3k after currency conversion and import vat to the UK, I suspect if slabbed and the variety better known in the US market it would have gone higher. There were at least three bidders involved above £2.5k.

Jerry

• Like 2

If it had been slabbed as ok then it would of definately gone higher or atleast more interested bidders before the auction went live ,not just attracting more interest in the US but here also.

A couple of people i know were both concerned about the condition of the coin looking at the picture and took that into consideration before the auction went live ,maybe the coin had been slabbed.

Hopefully the coin went to a collector who hasnt got one though ,like jerry with the F90 (Hat off) rather than the same people / person possibly bidding the price up or buying others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, secret santa said:

I agree (although the Victorian copper proof penny prices seem to be going through the roof), but I used the comparison just to say that I didn't think the Medusa price was unreasonable. 

I think the key desirability factor in the Medusa if it you can see her face, and this SARC specimen isn't too bad an example of that.

10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

If it had been slabbed as ok then it would of definately gone higher or atleast more interested bidders before the auction went live ,not just attracting more interest in the US but here also.

A couple of people i know were both concerned about the condition of the coin looking at the picture and took that into consideration before the auction went live ,maybe the coin had been slabbed.

Hopefully the coin went to a collector who hasnt got one though ,like jerry with the F90 (Hat off) rather than the same people / person possibly bidding the price up or buying others.

Having had a message i maybe didnt explain mine and others thoughts very well ,what i meant is the coin may of been slabbed but broken out as details and not that it was for sale slabbed in the auction.

Obviously a maybe and have no evidence to back that up and just a thought ,however the coin did not IMO look in the best condition and unsual not just in this auction (were most of the others were slabbed ) but when a seller knows what they have in America to not put the coin in a slab to confirm its condition ,not just grade. 

Edited by PWA 1967

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Just seen it on the rarest pennies site. Definitely worth the £4500 that it sold for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Just seen it on the rarest pennies site. Definitely worth the £4500 that it sold for.

Yes i spent 10 minutes deciding if i should buy it myself and it was only that it was in Australia and was going off a picture i decided not to 😀

Edited by PWA 1967

Here are up to date pics of the 1877  F90 penny from a 'deceased estate lot' in Sydney, Australia. Not a thing of great beauty, but in fact better than most so far on Richards site (I make it 6th best, probably...)

Jerry

1877 F90 rev.JPG

1877 F90 obv.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

While on the topic of pennies purchased from Australia, I got this one last year, a rather nice F77. I have noted that there appear to be two F77 reverse g dies , with different date spacing, 11 teeth (this coin, and my other) , and 12 teeth as per the pic taken from a LCA example.

Jerry

F77 reverse.jpg

F77 obverse.jpg

F77 11 teeth.jpg

F77 12 teeth.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jelida said:

While on the topic of pennies purchased from Australia, I got this one last year

Very nice - hard to find in a lustrous state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelida said:

While on the topic of pennies purchased from Australia, I got this one last year, a rather nice F77. I have noted that there appear to be two F77 reverse g dies , with different date spacing, 11 teeth (this coin, and my other) , and 12 teeth as per the pic taken from a LCA example.

Jerry

In its way, that's almost as good as the F90. You hardly ever see an F77 on offer, and that one's surely got to be in the top 3 known.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

In its way, that's almost as good as the F90. You hardly ever see an F77 on offer, and that one's surely got to be in the top 3 known.  

But you've already got a nice one Mike!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

But you've already got a nice one Mike!

That  I have, Ian. I've not forgotten - and thanks again. 

• Like 1