British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

It was slow moving between pages Richard, and took me a few seconds to find where to enter my search criteria....guess it's partly a case of getting used to navigation, but did prefer the old site. 

I wonder if everyone has found this, but when I type "Noonans" or "Noonan's" into Google all the results are for the (previously unknown to me) genetic disorder Noonan Syndrome. So I wonder how they are going to differentiate their website location from that? I don't think they've thought this through.

They'll hardly want to, or even be able to, displace important medical information off the top of the search results.

Yes, I was trying to look into auction archives and was quite a mess & hope they finish or complete their site. Still not happy about the name change.

Sadly, "Noonan Syndrome" will soon be taking on a whole new meaning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

yes, that's all you get when you type "Noonans" into search. 

Amongst other current shortcomings related to the new website, really unprofessional on their part.

8 hours ago, alfnail said:

Again hardly any pennies at the DNW (Noonans) auction later this month, but perhaps a couple of interesting ones.

Bit disappointing, as is the June LCA. 

But there is another "Noonans" coin auction on 15th June, so relatively hard on the heels of the 24th May event. Hopefully it'll be a bit better, penny wise.   

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Yes, it's the act of assuming that "full original colour" means just that.

Edited by oldcopper

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Bit disappointing, as is the June LCA. 

But there is another "Noonans" coin auction on 15th June, so relatively hard on the heels of the 24th May event. Hopefully it'll be a bit better, penny wise.   

...and still not great at marketing rarer types. e.g. the Bramah 2c this time...........which is really difficult, and should have been mentioned in the wording imo. 

29 minutes ago, alfnail said:

...and still not great at marketing rarer types. e.g. the Bramah 2c this time...........which is really difficult, and should have been mentioned in the wording imo. 

Well very much so, Ian. I've seen one so far - in August 2020 - which I bought as a date only specimen, immediately.

I think it's actually a bit better than the one DNW (sorry, Noonans) are offering. Although there is a carbon spot between Britannia and the trident.

As you say, they are really difficult. 

Don't think I posted it at the time, so here it is:-

broken F obverse cropped.jpg

broken f reverse cropped.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 10:18 AM, DaveG38 said:

I used this photograph of the interior for my wife's first poetry book. Quite spectacular colours!!

image.png.7b454a8ef05ecbcd12c7b50a69f7d577.png

I know nothing of your wife's poetry but if you're going to self publish maybe spending a few quid with a graphic designer would have been a good idea? I doubt that image would scrape a pass for a 4th form art project.

And before you all start whinging, I have 35 years experience in publishing so I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Michael-Roo

12 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I know nothing of your wife's poetry but if you're going to self publish maybe spending a few quid with a graphic designer would have been a good idea? I doubt that image would scrape a pass for a 4th form art project.

And before you all start whinging, I have 35 years experience in publishing so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm no expert, but I think the main drawback is the use of both the circular kaleidoscope graphic AND the photographic colourful interior. If you used either but not both, it would be a huge improvement?

You're probably right Chris, though it's the typography I find most disturbing.

Cover looks OK to me - it's not something I would take a lot of notice of anyway. I don't buy books for the covers, I buy them for the contents.

The cover would neither encourage nor put me off buying any book. 

• Like 2

Oh dear! When I posted this, I was simply illustrating the way in which the stained glass in the Palma Cathedral illuminates the place internally. I did so by referencing the photograph which was used a decade or more ago on the cover  of my wife's first poetry book. I had no desire to open up a debate about the quality or otherwise of the image used, or its suitability for a book cover image so I'm slightly taken aback at the comments this has generated.

Just for the record, this image was used for the front of the book, with the stained glass circular window alone on the back cover. The image is not photoshopped in any way. The colours were captured in the moment. As far as the fourth year student jibe goes, all I will say is that I make no claims to be a designer, but if this got me a pass I would be quite happy, as it took all of 30 minutes to produce. All it needed was a quick scan of the photo, a bit of contrast sorting, chopping it to size for the cover, and insertion of the text, and saving as a .jpg file, no more than half an hour tops. The choice of the photograph was my wife's and I'm quite happy with her choice. We wouldn't have wanted to bother using a graphic designer, with the expense that entails, since she has no pretentions of becoming the next poet laureate, plus with self-publishing, she just sells small numbers of her books locally. Neither she nor I have any expectations beyond this.  

• Like 8

What could possibly be  'disturbing'  about this  cover???

It's a nice use of pleasant images of a beautiful place.

I have friends with stereos, on which they play music at social events and dinner parties and barbecues etc.

None of the systems sound amazing, most are passable, a few are bad.

This thread has given me an idea:  

What I'm going to do is to point out everything that I think is wrong with the sound I hear at friend's events, 

and tell them "Can I just point out I have 45 years experience in professional audio so I can say all this."

I wonder how I'd look?  Would I be offered a beer and a burger again?

I put up with the sound quality - It helps the functions along and oils the wheels- my friends know my background, and know they can ask me for advice if they wish to improve their systems.

I don't say a word about it, and all is well,  I get drunk and stuff my face.

If I were in a position to have 35 years experience in publishing, I would have said something like   "Oh- nice one- I didn't know about the poetry book- if you are doing another,

I'd love to help with the cover design, since that's rather what I do" etc etc....

Even me, weird crazy Blake, with his Aspergers, has realised that you don't shout:   "Ooh look the King's got no clothes on"

...even though that may be correct.....

instead, you either let it go, or look around the crowd,  to see who _also_ looks shocked, and have a drink with them after the procession has gone past......

• Like 5

I think Michael is in a minority of one anyway, given the 6 likes and one screwed up face Dave got for the design on his wife's book. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Look Out for the Spectacle of the Eight

Twice a year, once in February and once in November, the light shines into Palma Cathedral in a way that projects the beautiful roseate window onto the opposite wall, creating a figure 8 with its twin window. The cathedral opens at 8 am on the days this event occurs, with the light causing the alignment at 8.30 am, and it is free to enter and watch.

El ocho de la Catedral de Palma m – Mallorcati

• Like 6

My father had an old YashikaMat 66 that took good pictures inside the cathedral.

I have very nice family memories from the'70s of staring at those wonderful windows.

I do like the pic of the colours projected on the walls that Dave took.

Reminds me of the colour projections in the Sagrada Familia I've seen ( and yet to visit).....

A picture I took in Exeter Cathedral, where the sun shone through a stained glass window:

1881850438_ExeterCathedral.jpg.c699b9536bc883386d88d91947e32baf.jpg

• Like 4

Coloured light is wonderful....this is a wedding I lit last year...2106100324_weddingtreelights.png.0c2787b843436250a766d502457966f4.png

• Like 6

1836789511_P1010093(3).thumb.jpg.0bf566aa4c6062531b83be3414dd04fd.jpg

Balloon festival. (No! Really?)

• Like 4

I've just started a thread 'lighting with colour etc' in the 'anything not coins area'.....

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Coloured light is wonderful....this is a wedding I lit last year...2106100324_weddingtreelights.png.0c2787b843436250a766d502457966f4.png

You burnt a wedding?

• Haha 1

I see that the 1847 Medusa sold for 3,000 US Dollars Hammer last night. Guess that's the 13th now known.