British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I guess you hadn't noticed Richard , look at the inside of the 5, it looks just like the 3 in my 1903 with the same straight line and at almost the exact same angle of alinement not perpendicular .  Are these different fonts ?

The whole of the 5 seems to be flimsy and very pronounced along the bottom bar, where as on the other type it is so much more solid and robust .    Could be called a slim 5                           PS  My example has the slim 5 as well.

Edited by terrysoldpennies

Here are mine.

image241.jpg

image240.jpg

• Like 1

They are both from the same dies, with a flaw from the rim into the lower ship rigging.

image243.jpg

image242.jpg

• Like 1

Close-up of the flaw. Both have the sturdy '5'. Any different die flaws out there?

Jerry

F79 flaw.jpg

My sturdy 5 has the same flaw. The slim 5 doesn't.

1744866801_1875F79sparerevzoom2.jpg.7198740f118f55bf0990917dde393905.jpg

Edited by secret santa
addition

My coin has no die crack , and with the die crack on all the sturdy 5s but not on the slim 5s it strongly suggests two different fonts !!

An earlier strike of a single die type 1915 Recessed ear ,not attributed and dont see many.

273573207_617974975968967_1988442685342104687_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/21/2022 at 2:10 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

My coin has no die crack , and with the die crack on all the sturdy 5s but not on the slim 5s it strongly suggests two different fonts !!

Just been checking my past sales and found one which I had marked as 1875Ax with 5 now over a gap. Think definitely a different date style, also noting that the numerals 7 and 5 seem more distant from exergual line.

1875Ax Predecimal.jpg

1875 Ax Date.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

Just been checking my past sales and found one which I had marked as 1875Ax with 5 now over a gap. Think definitely a different date style, also noting that the numerals 7 and 5 seem more distant from exergual line.

Out of interest I also looked at the 5's on the 1865 and 1885 - both much the same as the "sturdy" 5 above, as far as I could tell.

The 5 with the main difference was the one on the 1875H, where the down bar looked much straighter, the top bar shorter and with a less pronounced upward curve at the end, and the curved part of the 5 looks fatter. 

Anyone spot the 1862 5+G (H+g) penny on Ebay recently ? An exciting new find perhaps ?

Gary S has confirmed that it was erroneous listing with the seller getting his photos confused. I had suspected as much because the obverse and reverse photos were different technologies (one was JPEG and the other PNG images).

Disappointing though.🙁

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Anyone spot the 1862 5+G (H+g) penny on Ebay recently ? An exciting new find perhaps ?

Gary S has confirmed that it was erroneous listing with the seller getting his photos confused. I had suspected as much because the obverse and reverse photos were different technologies (one was JPEG and the other PNG images).

Disappointing though.🙁

I had often wondered if somebody might do that on purpose, just to get a better price on a worn penny.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:46 PM, secret santa said:

Disappointing though.🙁

It is a shame, though how long has it been since the last new bun penny variety was discovered - a couple of years? I think it was the different alignment of obverse 2 or something like that. I'm not sure when the last discovery before that was.

There are probably more discoveries to be made but there can't be that many more to be made.

• Like 1

It was way back in Oct 2014  that I discovered the new 2*, so that's nearly eight years ago now.          There must have been many test types made, but after test runs found them to be unserviceable for the long production lines needed were then destroyed with no examples surviving through to the present day .     But I guess we'll all will keep looking , as you never know what's going to turn up !!

• Like 2

At least two reasonably discrete true varieties have turned up since the 2* obverse, both overstrikes, the F33 ‘N over inverted N’  that I described on this forum, and the F15 ‘R over A in Victoria’.  New varieties  still seem to turn up every few years and I am sure more will be found though progressively fewer in this intensely studied series. But you do certainly have to watch out for mistakes in EBay listings, they are not infrequent though usually obvious.

Jerry

• Like 1

1922 DOT , very few known.

Not the best but like the others i have seen has the die crack on the V of the obverse ,which is probably the best indicator to check on a picture.

274679218_1981445922056014_4190624957121433086_n.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, 1949threepence said:

I was going to post this in e bay's worst offerings, but it got me thinking on a different track, so I'm posting it here for the interest factor.

The e bay seller "genticin" is offering an 1826/1 penny in a/UNC but with slight dings and a couple of carbon spots to the reverse, for £900, citing it as "extremely rare, only a few known of", and whilst they are scarce, calling them extremely rare, is somewhat misrepresenting the true situation, as I've already seen several and - so far - ignored them as a collectable option. The link to the coin in question is here

As far as I can tell, this seems to be a relatively new variety, not previously listed. I can't even see any reference to them by Michael Gouby, although that's not to say it doesn't exist. I may have looked in the wrong place.

Fortunately 1826 is a very common date with a large population to view, so I decided to go through those listed on e bay UK to see which ones were in fact 1826/1, assuming it is a 1 on a botched date repair. 

I examined a total of 65. By the time I got to 65, they were becoming fewer and further between, amongst the halfpennies, different dates and foreign coins. 

Of the 65 I examined:-

51 were not over a 1

9 were over a 1 - of these, 6 were no line down saltire, one was thin line down saltire, another, the saltire was too worn to tell, and the remaining example may have been a thick line, or thin line made to look like a thick line due to wear. Not sure.

5 were too worn or such poor photography, it was impossible to say either way, whether they were over a 1.    

Bottom line, I'm not sure genticin's specimen is worth £900, but he is open to offers.  

To put genticin's specimen into context, here is a superb version of an 1826/1 I just managed to obtain from Lee Brownson for £385:-

over 1 obv cropped.jpg

over 1 rev cropped.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

It was way back in Oct 2014  that I discovered the new 2*, so that's nearly eight years ago now.          There must have been many test types made, but after test runs found them to be unserviceable for the long production lines needed were then destroyed with no examples surviving through to the present day .     But I guess we'll all will keep looking , as you never know what's going to turn up !!

Oh time flies! And yes I suppose even with the ones we do know of, it's lucky that any survived.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:31 PM, jelida said:

At least two reasonably discrete true varieties have turned up since the 2* obverse, both overstrikes, the F33 ‘N over inverted N’  that I described on this forum, and the F15 ‘R over A in Victoria’.  New varieties  still seem to turn up every few years and I am sure more will be found though progressively fewer in this intensely studied series. But you do certainly have to watch out for mistakes in EBay listings, they are not infrequent though usually obvious.

Jerry

Ah of course. I don't keep as close a track of the legend errors but even the inverted A in VICTORIA (1862?) is reasonably new I think.

Anyway, I suppose there are lots of countries where an 1860 or 1861 penny is just that too - no local interest in Freeman numbers, so there's still hope.

1858 Large rose SMALL date ,pity its had a clean as a really nice example 👍

275286737_4538530849586836_3817108936805459847_n (1).jpg

• Like 2

I'm not finding it Pete, is it up for sale (where?)?

I suspect that Pete has just bought that 1858LRSD Cliff, no doubt he will be able to confirm..... think he almost made the post at same time in the 'coin acquisition of the week' thread.... so I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking for it on ebay or elsewhere. 

• Haha 2