British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

Thanks Ian - did you buy it ?

Afraid not Richard, although was sorely tempted. Difficult to justify when trying to thin down my collection. 

Never checked out Auction World before - they had another 1841 proof penny this time last year as well on sixbid archive - but that looks like copper rather than bronzed PF63 - 520000Y.

I liked their completely uncleaned 1826 proof halfcrown PF62

great-britain-george-iv-ziyozi4shi-1820-30-7800577.jpg?p=lot_o

Edited by oldcopper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, that is a nice coin but would likely some to a different conclusion about the cleaning....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Well, that is a nice coin but would likely some to a different conclusion about the cleaning....

I wonder what the slabbers were thinking. Perhaps it's better in the hand.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, secret santa said:

Did anyone see the price that pennies fetched in the Stacks-Bowers sale ? Very high grades but unbelievable prices. See 1927 and 1895 pennies:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTMAO/great-britain-penny-1927-george-v-ngc-ms-66-red

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-UTM0A/great-britain-penny-1895-london-mint-victoria-ngc-ms-66-red-brown

I bought a mint 1927 for £30. Mind you, didn't have the bagmarks which must have accounted for the premium. The estimate at $60-100 was reasonable, allowing a slight premium for the high grade label.

Just had this arrive- I wasn't sure it was when I bought it- bad picture , but it was very cheap....

1963539441_DSC008102.jpeg.b1fc9d49cbf04cda267e1657b4b5fef3.jpeg260414728_DSC008112.jpeg.7640baf36e59c2331ef9bbe34ecd32ae.jpeg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats quality Blake and a good buy , well bought 😀

Thanks Pete- I really wasn't sure from the pictures I had, so I figured it was worth the gamble- all in, £32.

I paced up and down for a few days....and lo!

Once again, you can't trust photographs that well- it's a _much_ better colour, with better features, and all together more pleasing than I thought.

The prices of low grade ones is getting a bit daft lately- there's one for sale I saw that's over a hundred- one of three that went from me via you,

I believe- the seller is asking what an F76 should be up for.....everyone is scared of not being able to afford to live, so are punting stuff out for crazy hopeful figures....

Mind you, the way things are at the moment, can you blame them?

A 1889 with the very wide date not attributed and also 15 Leaves , i doubt the 14 leaves exists being rare with this OBV.

A bit dusty and scratch to the left of the queens head but a good example.

1889m.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

A bit dusty and scratch to the left of the queens head but a good example.

Is it for sale, Pete ?

28 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Is it for sale, Pete ?

Yes,send me a mail if you are interested.

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Grab yourself a bit of the Edward VIII penny.

https://showpiece.com/edward8-penny

🤔why not model it in 3D, divide it up and number each piece and allocate a specific numbered piece of the coin to each buyer?. Then the concept of fractional ownership might have some meaning to a collector, i dont know.

I also wonder about the second hand market. It might be worth a punt in the short term. Shares will be on ebay for double the price or more before you know it. 

Not really my cuppa tho’

Fractional ownership = BS. I just can not imagine doing this other than for investment purposes.

• Like 3

Investment - so, who decides the value of the investment over time ? It can only be an opinion until the item is actually sold which might then make a loss.

• Like 3

Solely speculation i think, and is similar to the "gimmick" of NFT which I totally have no idea about it, and also no one care about ownership of the coin.

For the value, i think it will be determined by the seller, who will only sell a little part at first, pushing up the price, and sell the rest.  Traditionally trap, haha, am i thinking too much?

It's also mentioned 100 replicas will be made with Baldwin, any chance these will be sold in the market as a real one in the future?

By the way, I would rather have a very common 1963 Penny on hand, at least I own an art piece😁, though someone may think otherwise😅.

UK 1963 1 Penny Reverse (small2).jpg

• Like 2

I was going to post this in e bay's worst offerings, but it got me thinking on a different track, so I'm posting it here for the interest factor.

The e bay seller "genticin" is offering an 1826/1 penny in a/UNC but with slight dings and a couple of carbon spots to the reverse, for £900, citing it as "extremely rare, only a few known of", and whilst they are scarce, calling them extremely rare, is somewhat misrepresenting the true situation, as I've already seen several and - so far - ignored them as a collectable option. The link to the coin in question is here

As far as I can tell, this seems to be a relatively new variety, not previously listed. I can't even see any reference to them by Michael Gouby, although that's not to say it doesn't exist. I may have looked in the wrong place.

Fortunately 1826 is a very common date with a large population to view, so I decided to go through those listed on e bay UK to see which ones were in fact 1826/1, assuming it is a 1 on a botched date repair. 

I examined a total of 65. By the time I got to 65, they were becoming fewer and further between, amongst the halfpennies, different dates and foreign coins. 

Of the 65 I examined:-

51 were not over a 1

9 were over a 1 - of these, 6 were no line down saltire, one was thin line down saltire, another, the saltire was too worn to tell, and the remaining example may have been a thick line, or thin line made to look like a thick line due to wear. Not sure.

5 were too worn or such poor photography, it was impossible to say either way, whether they were over a 1.    

Bottom line, I'm not sure genticin's specimen is worth £900, but he is open to offers.  

John Spring first brought this to my attention a few years ago and I have a couple in my collection, through luck rather than intention. I don't think it's particularly rare.

I've just done a check of 1875 pennies on Ebay:

Obviously, many are that flat that it's not possible tell some apart...

Large date   120

Small date 74

1875H     14

F79 ( sea over circle)   0

Pretty much as usual

The Heaton version is touted as very rare, and isn't.( except in very good grades)  and the F79 is hardly ever there- I see maybe 3 a year tops.

Maybe some of the F79 are that flat you can't tell, but where are the other better grades, since it's only rarity 13 or R5, supposedly?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I've just done a check of 1875 pennies on Ebay:

Obviously, many are that flat that it's not possible tell some apart...

Large date   120

Small date 74

1875H     14

F79 ( sea over circle)   0

Pretty much as usual

The Heaton version is touted as very rare, and isn't.( except in very good grades)  and the F79 is hardly ever there- I see maybe 3 a year tops.

Maybe some of the F79 are that flat you can't tell, but where are the other better grades, since it's only rarity 13 or R5, supposedly?

I'd say the F79 is definitely rarer than the R13 ascribed to it. They are very rare in high grade. 

One of those varieties that's not quite in the extremely rare class, but is definitely scarce enough to be hardly ever seen on e bay.

Quietly underrated type.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

Agree that F79 is underrated, quite pleased with my own example.

1875A Penny.jpg

A touch better than mine lol

685375797_1875PennyF79rev.thumb.jpg.69df2431ad7c24cc03d5eb4a3bacc3bf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is mine, which I bought from Guy Fie, via this forum, for a very reasonable £250 in 2017. Slight fingerprint on the obverse, but apart from that GEF with some residual lustre.

guy fie rev cropped.jpg

guy fie obv cropped.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely examples!

Mine is a GVF that I saw as a very cheap BIN ( no attribution ) and grabbed it fast!

• Like 1