British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

34 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

Still on the penny thread, anyone interested in the load of completely naturally toned (sarcasm) 1937 proof bronze coming up for auction in Heritage?

Someone's chancing their arm....do you want one in bright blue or luridly efflorescent blue, sir?

Blue is a popular colour. I always assumed the light blue dot on the back of this slab was the colour they ordered. ;)

img731.jpg

41 minutes ago, Rob said:

Blue is a popular colour. I always assumed the light blue dot on the back of this slab was the colour they ordered. ;)

img731.jpg

Perhaps there's something like a Dulux chart available for slabbers?

42 minutes ago, Rob said:

Still on the penny thread, anyone interested in the load of completely naturally toned (sarcasm) 1937 proof bronze coming up for auction in Heritage?

Someone's chancing their arm....do you want one in bright blue or luridly efflorescent blue, sir?

Can someone post a picture of it, please? I fancy a laugh!

2 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Can someone post a picture of it, please? I fancy a laugh!

Or if you prefer farthings,

George VI Proof Farthing 1937 PR65 Brown PCGS

George VI Proof Farthing 1937 PR66 Brown PCGS

Edited by oldcopper
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 10:41 PM, Peckris 2 said:

That was the first book to specifically include the 1946 ONE' PENNY as a specific variety (i.e. more than a footnote) with a rarity and a value. He rated it scarcer than the 1926ME.

It's incredibly rare in high grade. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that Dave Craddock had seen only one UNC specimen in 50 odd years.

That's rare ! 

Ok, but really which would you rather have - a top 1926ME with good lustre and strike or a "dotty"?  Think I gave away my opinion on that last bit, LOL.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ok, but really which would you rather have - a top 1926ME with good lustre and strike or a "dotty"?  Think I gave away my opinion on that last bit, LOL.

Well, obviously the top grade 1926 ME. More charisma and better known. But even so, that's not to downplay the cache which would attach to obtaining a 1946 "dotty". In fact not so much a dot, more an apostrophe shape.   

11 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It's incredibly rare in high grade. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that Dave Craddock had seen only one UNC specimen in 50 odd years.

That's rare ! 

Yes, I've  been looking for an affordable EF example forever.

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Silly question! I'd say the top grade for both is VERY RARE but give me the 1926...

Gouby X or optical illusion?

link

Hmm..saw that....it's tricky - I think the light angle is once again moving the teeth about.....a bit like Ken Dodd's passport photo....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

link

I would say no, the border teeth are too close together. 👍

Edited by Gary

On 2/13/2021 at 9:15 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, I've  been looking for an affordable EF example forever.

Silly question! I'd say the top grade for both is VERY RARE but give me the 1926...

best I could do in ten years...accidental find...

999337214_P10408492.jpeg.ae2c129d8b0a33013a0371ccc260bc02.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gary said:

I would say no, the border teeth are to close together. 👍

Plus the ones further round look thicker. I bought it anyway because it was a reasonable price and it's better than my current 1911, so I knew I had nothing to lose. Didn't think it was, but was worth a look if only for comparison purposes.   

But this is my pic of the same obverse. You can immediately see the difference. The moral being, when it comes to border teeth and things pointing to them, pics can be extremely deceptive. 

not gouby x.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

The moral being, when it comes to border teeth and things pointing to them, pics can be extremely deceptive. 

yes very difficult unless the image is good and has been photographed central and at right angles ....😑

but still a nice coin 👍 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

link

I looked at that when it was first listed.

It is NOT a Gouby X though which is I of IMP points to tooth and thats to gap ,so just a normal one.

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I looked at that when it was first listed.

It is NOT a Gouby X though which is I of IMP points to tooth and thats to gap ,so just a normal one.

Both I's are to a gap.   

It's interesting you say that Pete, as all the references to the hollow neck variety, pre Gouby, are of the I of IMP to a border tooth, not the I of BRITT. The earliest reference I can find is Court in September 1972, but no doubt it was discovered prior to that. Gouby doesn't even mention the type in his 1986 book, which covers pennies from 1860 to 1970. But he now says the I of BRITT pointing to a tooth is the determining factor. Although both I's point to a tooth on the variety, so the net effect is the same either way. .  

Freeman just refers to hollow necks in 1911 and 1912. I've never seen one from 1912. Peck makes no reference.    

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Both I's are to a gap.   

It's interesting you say that Pete, as all the references to the hollow neck variety, pre Gouby, are of the I of IMP to a border tooth, not the I of BRITT. The earliest reference I can find is Court in September 1972, but no doubt it was discovered prior to that. Gouby doesn't even mention the type in his 1986 book, which covers pennies from 1860 to 1970. But he now says the I of BRITT pointing to a tooth is the determining factor. Although both I's point to a tooth on the variety, so the net effect is the same either way. .  

Freeman just refers to hollow necks in 1911 and 1912. I've never seen one from 1912. Peck makes no reference.    

If you had looked at the IMP indicator and not the BRITT one ,you would of been able to tell straight away as clear that it is just a normal one.

Most coins have two indicators so if your not sure on one , check the other.

Its the same on lots of Bronze and Coppers even if only die cracks ,flaws etc , there are always other indicators if you are not sure.

48 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

If you had looked at the IMP indicator and not the BRITT one ,you would of been able to tell straight away as clear that it is just a normal one.

Most coins have two indicators so if your not sure on one , check the other.

Its the same on lots of Bronze and Coppers even if only die cracks ,flaws etc , there are always other indicators if you are not sure.

Knowing the type's history, as just alluded to, I actually did look at both BRITT AND IMP, several times at each as it happens. Concluded that it was far more probable than not that it wasn't a Gouby X, but still decided to go for it out of curiosity, plus the fact that it was cheap and better than my current ordinary 1911, so had nothing to lose - as stated in an earlier post. 

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

best I could do in ten years...accidental find...

999337214_P10408492.jpeg.ae2c129d8b0a33013a0371ccc260bc02.jpeg

I'd LOVE one in that condition! If you ever upgrade I'll happily buy that off you.

8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd LOVE one in that condition! If you ever upgrade I'll happily buy that off you.

Yes it's a beauty isn't it, and the apostrophe is well pronounced. 

That's well above average in terms of condition.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Then you shall have first refusal!

Whatever that means...!

23 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Then you shall have first refusal!

Whatever that means...!

It means you offer it to me first, and in the unlikely event I'd refuse, at least I'd be head of the queue!

• Like 1

On 25 February 2021 at 4:44 PM, 1949threepence said:

I am pretty certain this really is one though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-King-George-V-Bronze-Penny/193915563743?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D0b4ae74e5165491189eda494b13bd6f6%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D193915563743%26itm%3D193915563743%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

And in very nice condition too, though appears to have been rather badly cleaned? Others have spotted it I guess by the bids already in, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go well into three figures... 

48 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

I am pretty certain this really is one though:

(Link deleted)

And in very nice condition too, though appears to have been rather badly cleaned? Others have spotted it I guess by the bids already in, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go well into three figures... 

This is a really unhelpful post during an active auction when I and possibly other forum members are already bidding and watching. By tradition we do not post in a way that can affect others interests in ongoing auctions and I am most disappointed. We normally save comment until the auction is completed, and due time given for the lot to have been posted, other than in the ‘worst offerings’ scenario.

Jerry

Edited by jelida
  • Like 2