British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

58 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Nice one! These wide 1889s are rare in any condition, and this one is ace! Can you post a pic of the obverse too?

Was it on eBay, or a dealer, or just a chance find?

Happy Christmas to you all!

Was a lucky find really in a household goods auction online but not attributed.

Auctioneers scans.

Gouby new size.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, last time I scanned through Cambridgeshire Coins website, I'm pretty sure this one wasn't there. Now it is and has already gone !!!

What a bargain.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Damn, last time I scanned through Cambridgeshire Coins website, I'm pretty sure this one wasn't there. Now it is and has already gone !!!

What a bargain.

:o

8 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

:o

Same here, i had not spotted that one.     I look at their site regularly. I am in disbelief right now, F148?

Edited by Iannich48

I would like to think that someone on here picked that up. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Aha, that one is safe with me.....😃

Jerry

• Like 5

Oh I'm seething now...ah well can't watch everything....:)

Nice one Jerry!

I'm raising a glass of Ujliesa Squinzano Rocca del Mori to you as I write this.

(A present)

First Xmas at home for 26 years.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Same here, i had not spotted that one.     I look at their site regularly. I am in disbelief right now, F148?

Absolutely a F148, and worth at least 20 times that amount. KB Coins has one in the same grade for £1450. I've noticed before that Cambridgeshire Coins seem a bit careless on varieties. 

Worth keeping a watchful eye on.

Edited by 1949threepence

42 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Absolutely a F148, and worth at least 20 times that amount. KB Coins has one in the same grade for £1450. I've noticed before that Cambridgeshire Coins seem a bit careless on varieties. 

Worth keeping a watchful eye on.

The worrying thing is that the previous owner did not get much for this lovely coin. Maybe deceased and the family did not know about coins.

16 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

The worrying thing is that the previous owner did not get much for this lovely coin. Maybe deceased and the family did not know about coins.

Yes, I wondered that. Good Point. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 11:26 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Was a lucky find really in a household goods auction online but not attributed.

Auctioneers scans.

Gouby new size.jpg

Hi Pete, it looks as though your obverse probably has the extra leaf, making it  Gouby Obverse R, and also looks like the 9 is wide enough to make it a BP 1889Ad. MG in his new pages has the widest 9 as only seen on Obverse S, i.e. BP 1889Cd. He has not documented a BP 1889Ad. Have you had opportunity to check the width accurately?

I have just checked Richard's englishpennies and he has the widest date as Obverse R, but then called it a Cd. I think it needs to be either Ad (R + r) or Cd (S + r). Don't think the example is high enough grade to examine the important leaf area and decide which obverse type for sure anyway.

Hoping this is making some sense as 2 bottles down today!   

• Like 2

Here is my own widest date, which I think is an undocumented BP 1889Ad (R + r). Extra leaf is definitely visible, also right for a 'd' date width suffix.

1889Ad Obverse.jpg

1889Ad Reverse.jpg

• Like 3

Ok- two penny questions 29 years apart:

1 . I've noticed that my best 1904 penny had the 4 over a tooth.

is this something to get exited about?

I notice that London coins don't seem to reflect the rarity of the variant ...

2. I know that Michael G documents the 1875 obverse dot by the 'I' of VICTORIA,

and postulates about a speck of something migrating from obverse to reverse dies, which I don't understand

because it's a dot not a a ding but anyhow he mentions the large date only.

i've just noticed the two obverse dot types I have both have the small date as the obverse....is this unusual?

It takes a strange Christmas day to notice such things.....!

11 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Here is my own widest date, which I think is an undocumented BP 1889Ad (R + r). Extra leaf is definitely visible, also right for a 'd' date width suffix.

Actually all these widest date 1889s I've seen (half a dozen or so) are obverse R (when the leaf area is clear, that is) with the extra leaf and NOT obverse S. I think it's an error in Michael Gouby's book, and they all should be BP 1889Ad. I have never seen a positively identifiable 1889Cd.  Not a huge worry as they are properly rare anyway, but for the sake of total precision, I believe they are all this die pair in actual fact.

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, I'm thinking you are probably right.........let's see if any member claims to have a positively identifiable Cd 

They all have the extra leaf ,although obviously the low grade ones it cant be seen and the same width with the higher 9.

Pete.

IMG_2889.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967

Could you put the reverse up please Pete - I'd like to include this on my varieties website as illustration.

11 hours ago, alfnail said:

I have just checked Richard's englishpennies and he has the widest date as Obverse R, but then called it a Cd

I called it Cd straight from Michael's book (without noticing that he had it as S+r) and obverse R because it was sold as obv 12 (R) in Colin Cooke's catalogue (lot 107) for the Tony Crocker sale.

I probably never bothered to check the obverse but, as you say, it is so worn as to make it unidentifiable. I will now change it on the basis of the above information - many thanks.

13 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Ok- two penny questions 29 years apart:

1 . I've noticed that my best 1904 penny had the 4 over a tooth.

is this something to get exited about?

I notice that London coins don't seem to reflect the rarity of the variant ...

I think they are quite rare, at least it took me a long time to find mine. The Copthorne example (catalogue still online at Colin Cooke) in worn condition attracted a considerable premium if I remember correctly.

Jerry

26 minutes ago, jelida said:

The Copthorne example

The website says £70 but I wrote £35 into the catalogue at the time - spooky !

Edited by secret santa
correction
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 1:00 AM, PWA 1967 said:

Michael has now made his study of the 1847 No colon "Medusa" penny available for anyone that may be interested.

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/CP1847M-Medusa.htm

Pete.

I have CP1847MJ, pictured below. It has pretty good detail, but does have the verdigris as can be seen. I keep coming back to the question of whether I should try to remove it / improve the coin if possible. As yet I haven't been brave enough to attempt anything myself; I have never tried verdigris removal before, and would first want to have practice attempts on less valuable similar pieces anyway. There's also a part of me saying leave it alone....but then I'm worried that the verdigris may develop.

I would welcome views from members on this please, thanks.  

CP 1847 MJ.jpg

On 25 December 2020 at 5:02 PM, jelida said:

Aha, that one is safe with me.....😃

Jerry

You pipped me to that one, Jerry! I was just "buying it now" when it closed!

Also, did anyone on here get this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Victoria-Penny-1861-/393052202355?hash=item5b83bca573%3Ag%3A0uYAAOSwzEpf03PO&nma=true&si=HsvO6lNGBPRb%2BAmvjfay%2BxU5S9A%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It is an 1861 6+F, detector find but nice. It actually sold for a best offer of £100. I also put an offer in, but less and was beaten, but that's how I know what it actually went for. If you did get it, can you post better pics, perhaps?

• Like 3

On 12/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, alfnail said:

I have CP1847MJ, pictured below. It has pretty good detail, but does have the verdigris as can be seen. I keep coming back to the question of whether I should try to remove it / improve the coin if possible. As yet I haven't been brave enough to attempt anything myself; I have never tried verdigris removal before, and would first want to have practice attempts on less valuable similar pieces anyway. There's also a part of me saying leave it alone....but then I'm worried that the verdigris may develop.

I would welcome views from members on this please, thanks.  

CP 1847 MJ.jpg

I've been waiting for someone to reply with a good idea but it seems that we're all a bit unsure Ian. :lol:

I take the view that intervention becomes necessary when it would worsen if left untouched. I really dislike verdigris and if this was a £10 coin then I'd have no qualms about getting the reverse in some diluted lemon juice - I'd put a cocktail stick under the good side and just try to dunk the polluted half. It would strip the patina but once done I'd cart it about in my pocket for 6 months or so until it improved in appearance. It'd never look great but it wouldn't matter much.

But it's not a £10 coin so I'd be really concerned my clumsy efforts would make a poor situation worse. I don't think Verdicare would touch it. In my experience olive oil takes forever to do nothing. Perhaps it would be worth contacting one of the TPGs that offers "conservation" services and see what they think they could do with it?

I'd be interested to see how you get on. I would struggle to leave it. :unsure: