British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

10 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

The page now says "the listing is no longer available." That often means the seller has sold it off-platform!

Wonder if some idiot made him an offer he couldn't refuse?!

Keep eyes peeled, though, in case it is resisted with a different or more accurate description!

If so, the buyer will be in for a severe disappointment.

Always best to compare with a verified example of the real thing before you commit yourself to buy anything with a degree of uncertainty attached to it.

• Like 1

I have culled this from his original listing...

So, some cretin had put a bid in of £2850 !

Wonder if the same cretin put that offer to him??

Or was it a deliberate ploy to "win" and never pay as was mentioned above? That's been done many times before to dubious lots.

image.png

37 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Keep eyes peeled, though, in case it is relisted with a different or more accurate description!

He has...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Penny-1863-Nice-Grade/333797053007?hash=item4db7dad24f:g:JucAAOSwT~lftTJx

No mention of the "die number" now! But, interesting to see he now has a best offer option available for it - Lukasz doesn't usually do that, so maybe he has listed it for the idiot to put an idiotic offer in! Watch closely over the next few hours to see if it does sell!!

55 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

I have culled this from his original listing...

So, some cretin had put a bid in of £2850 !

Wonder if the same cretin put that offer to him??

Or was it a deliberate ploy to "win" and never pay as was mentioned above? That's been done many times before to dubious lots.

image.png

The first 5 of these were cancelled at the same time. Curious. :huh:

Probably as a he "cancelled all bids" before ending the item. Maybe the earlier cancellation of the high bid was after the bidder requested a cancellation after realising it was a dud, and that triggered (eventually) his ending of the item.

• Like 3

Good shout, Paddy - I bet that's exactly it!

Wonder if the original high bidder got cold feet as a result of the forum or Richard's website?

I see the new listing has now got a bid... which removes the offer option, but I will keep watching to see what it finally makes. I still wouldn't be surprised if it goes for silly money "just in case", in the mind of an ignorant punter!

He has relisted it, currently with an opening bid of £1, and no mention of die 3

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alfnail said:

He has relisted it, currently with an opening bid of £1, and no mention of die 3

Well it was never there in the first place LOL

• Haha 1

Well, it is up to £17.00 at the moment. Still way more than it is worth. Somebody must like it alot.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Well, it is up to £17.00 at the moment. Still way more than it is worth. Somebody must like it alot.

The irony being that in that condition...what, GVF, maybe NEF? it would be by far the best known if it were really a die No 3 under date, and worth probably about £6k, I'd say.

On a different note you have to be lightning quick off the mark these days to get what you want. Dave Craddock's new list was e mailed out on Wednesday evening, but I never noticed it until Friday evening. There were two coins on it that I was seriously interested in. But when I rang Dave on Saturday morning, they'd both already gone.    

An object lesson in keeping a very close eye on your e mails. 

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The irony being that in that condition...what, GVF, maybe NEF? it would be by far the best known if it were really a die No 3 under date, and worth probably about £6k, I'd say.

On a different note you have to be lightning quick off the mark these days to get what you want. Dave Craddock's new list was e mailed out on Wednesday evening, but I never noticed it until Friday evening. There were two coins on it that I was seriously interested in. But when I rang Dave on Saturday morning, they'd both already gone.    

An object lesson in keeping a very close eye on your e mails. 

I rang within minutes of receiving his list. Already sold ! I bet his phone was ringing off the hook all evening !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I rang within minutes of receiving his list. Already sold ! I bet his phone was ringing off the hook all evening !

The ones I wanted (although I was about to cash in my £2k's worth of premium bonds to get them) were the 1856 OT in A UNC/GEF, and the 1897 F148 high tide UNC with 70% lustre.

• Like 1

just showed up on a FB page .looks right , but whats peoples thoughts ?126624740_10157779431558946_7889680968688780101_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=qPE-E9q56bsAX8nmHFW&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=ad273e3bae510ab9567eb97cf5f03607&oe=5FDFF7AD

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

just showed up on a FB page .looks right , but whats peoples thoughts ?126624740_10157779431558946_7889680968688780101_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=qPE-E9q56bsAX8nmHFW&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=ad273e3bae510ab9567eb97cf5f03607&oe=5FDFF7AD

Looks distinctly like a F192A, 1922, reverse of 1927. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I just compared it to my example, and I agree, it is a F192A.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Nice little windfall for the owner .Handed down by a relative and didn't have any idea of its value .Some of the coins had notes with them , so her relative did know what it was .

Edited by mick1271

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The ones I wanted (although I was about to cash in my £2k's worth of premium bonds to get them) were the 1856 OT in A UNC/GEF, and the 1897 F148 high tide UNC with 70% lustre.

Did anyone see the 1698 DIE farthing (GVF with some lustre) that CooperCoins had a photo of in the latest Coin News -   it was £765. I phoned them up (hadn't even heard of them before) straight away - too late. I hate it when that happens! - There was a lot of interest unsurprisingly.

Whoops!

Deleted, but see next post...

Edited by Martinminerva
Forgot to quote!

18 minutes ago, RLC35 said:
24 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

100% agree too. As I've said before, they're still out there if one keeps eyes peeled!

What's she going to do with it? Put it in a main auction house sale?

What sort of money do they make nowadays?

16 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

100% agree too. As I've said before, they're still out there if one keeps eyes peeled!

What's she going to do with it? Put it in a main auction house sale?

What sort of money do they make nowadays?

Consistently over £3k.

Shame about the verd as otherwise not in bad shape. Be good to see the obverse.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Consistently over £3k.

The obverse was quite good with no verd . cant find the post (FB is a pain nowadays ) ,If I come across it , I will post the obverse up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Consistently over £3k.

I don't see any verdigris. That looks like it would wash off to me. 

There was a F164a with it which would have been a pleasing find on its own. :)

F192A.jpg

8 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Could someone post the reverse please as I can't get to the Facebook page.

Scroll up Richard. ;)

8 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Could someone post the reverse please as I can't get to the Facebook page.

Scroll up the thread, Richard. It's further up. Posted by @mick1271