British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Nothing special but I finally managed to spot an 1895 2mm in a pile of Victorian pennies (I think!).

1525774578_1895D1A1-horzRed.jpg.408c3904786ee65eb54f1b1fcec4af7d.jpg

Good spot. BP 1895Aa (V + v) in the new Gouby pages.

• Like 2

Bought a partial date run of pennies on ebay . Have checked them all out but need help with this one . Have ruled out everything but the F28 .No signature visible with x10 loupe or digiscope  , sea crosses border with no rocks to left of lighthouse and exergue doesn't rise at the r/h/s . Not great pics , but I will try and scan it later if needed .Any help appreciated .

penny 2.jpg

penny 1.jpg

18 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

Bought a partial date run of pennies on ebay . Have checked them all out but need help with this one . Have ruled out everything but the F28 .No signature visible with x10 loupe or digiscope  , sea crosses border with no rocks to left of lighthouse and exergue doesn't rise at the r/h/s . Not great pics , but I will try and scan it later if needed .Any help appreciated .

penny 2.jpg

penny 1.jpg

Pics are blurry. Difficult to confirm detail.  

So to confirm, definitely no L C WYON clearly visible under bust?    

20201005153420.jpg

23 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Pics are blurry. Difficult to confirm detail.  

So to confirm, definitely no L C WYON clearly visible under bust?    

The coin has a bit of corrosion , but nothing is visible .Been staring at it for ages and apart from F28 , I can't see what else it could be . Apart from signature missing , everything else looks good for an obv 5 .Colon dots pointing in the right place etc.

This is a bit better.

penny 3.jpg

still not great , but a bit better

penny 4.jpg

15 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Can you give a close up of the ribbons to be sure.

Forgive the quality of the pictures .I am not much of a photographer lol

20201005172838.jpg

20201005172644.jpg

20201005172819.jpg

20201005172752.jpg

Below is a worn F28 .  Note the outer ribbon at its top has a fold running down along it , and the ribbon itself pinches in at the top towards the knot . only the 5 and the 6 have this and it looks to be the same on your second picture down.  Its not a 6 because the top of Victoria's head would be closer to the teeth . So yes I think its an F28.

1378384085_1861F285-Gobvlow.JPG.1621e08d5858a593c88ef7683c3656ab.JPG

9 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Below is a worn F28 .  Note the outer ribbon at its top has a fold running down along it , and the ribbon itself pinches in at the top towards the knot . only the 5 and the 6 have this and it looks to be the same on your second picture down.  Its not a 6 because the top of Victoria's head would be closer to the teeth . So yes I think its an F28.

1378384085_1861F285-Gobvlow.JPG.1621e08d5858a593c88ef7683c3656ab.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to look at it . The seller was selling a nearly full date run of pennies .all the better ones were being sold separately (bid on an 1845 and 1837 ,but lost both by quite a bit) , but he had a couple of bulk lots, one of which included this one and an 1831 W.W Penny (which I think is rare , but my copper knowledge is limited).The rest were the usual varieties you expect to see in a bulk lot.

Edited by mick1271

I do not intend to add Mick's coin to the population of F28s on my website without a better photograph.

58 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I do not intend to add Mick's coin to the population of F28s on my website without a better photograph.

They are pretty poor Richard .I only have my phone (or digiscope) to take them . I have a new printer /scanner , so I will get it scanned as soon as I set it up .

On 9/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, alfnail said:

The 1857 Gouby Date Style C is seen paired with both OT and PT; I have both types in my collection. I'm pretty sure I have seen it paired with the Ornamental Trident less often, but I have not attempted any stats on this.

The most interesting one I have found is this one (Plain Trident Reverse), which has a 'repaired' numeral 8.

Just back from holiday last night, internet was not good whilst away. Can see I missed a few posts about Victorian Copper pennies, and think I may have a few additional comments to make when get time. 

Got one - PT though, so not technically a Bramah 23a.

serifless 1857.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
problem with photo upload

17 hours ago, secret santa said:

1861 Penny F28 obv .jpg

1861 Penny F28 rev .jpg

17 hours ago, secret santa said:

These ones are a bit lighter . Looks like my scanning skills are nearly as poor as my photography skills .

20201006_163747_edited.jpg

20201006_163732_edited.jpg

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mick1271 said:

These ones are a bit lighter . Looks like my scanning skills are nearly as poor as my photography skills .

20201006_163747_edited.jpg

20201006_163732_edited.jpg

Much better.

11 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Much better.

Same phone I used , Finally got a bit of sun in Scotland .Decent light makes a huge difference .

10 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

Same phone I used , Finally got a bit of sun in Scotland .Decent light makes a huge difference .

Looks like a Freeman 28 to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mick1271 said:

I've now added coin but need your surname, to credit you properly, Mick.

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

I've now added coin but need your surname, to credit you properly, Mick.

Hi Richard , my 2nd name is Martin .I think there is another Mick Martin in the coin community somewhere, can't remember where I saw his name quoted  , but it caused a bit of confusion on my part . Middle initial L if that helps do differentiate .

There was a Mick Martin who produced a comprehensive study of copper pennies I believe. I'll check.

15 minutes ago, secret santa said:

There was a Mick Martin who produced a comprehensive study of copper pennies I believe. I'll check.

Sounds interesting.

15 minutes ago, secret santa said:

That might be where I have heard his name from . Something to do with Reading coin club as well .Definitely not me lol.