British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

This was the Alan Stevenson coin for anyone that might be interested in one

If anyone is interested it's £815 on his website 

2 minutes ago, will1976 said:

If anyone is interested it's £815 on his website 

Yes i was putting both on Will but to save any confusion deleated the ebay one 👍

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes i was putting both on Will but to save any confusion deleated the ebay one 

👍🏻

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Do you have a photo of the Ebay specimen, Pete ? (or does Michael G have a photo ?)

Jack Relph also has a Medusa specimen Richard, although you may already know about that. Link is here anyway. 

ETA: apologies, hadn't noticed it was already posted. 

Edited by 1949threepence

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

I'm sure the 1847 Medusa is still less than 20 Richard, and likely to remain so. There was only one of those on ebay in the 5 year period. It was around £15 until the last few seconds, I was amazed when I bid £500 about 3 seconds from the end and was outbid. It was the chap who used to buy on ebay with ID bargains1*, now sadly passed away, with his coins sold off very poorly and cheaply.

Re. the Large Rose again, I would be intrigued to see how long it will take you to get to 20. If you were to regard as two separate types then I really think you would struggle to get to 20 examples. My guess is that you may not even get there with the Small Numerals type with the flaw through the 5. I could keep my 13 pictures to one side, or share with you first if you wish, and then they could be cross checked to any new ones reported.

Depending upon sub-level, within each year in this series, there may be other candidates. Off top of my head, 1854/3 (real ones!), Bramah 3b, the 1843 DFF, 1853PT with the italic 5 date style, a couple of 1845 date varieties (not the obverse with the big die flaw at front of truncation).........and then there are always the dots, ha ha!! 

Just a thought 

They are not easy, and often wrongly attributed as you indicate. 

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Jack Relph also has a Medusa specimen Richard, although you may already know about that. Link is here anyway. 

ETA: apologies, hadn't noticed it was already posted. 

That's not a Medusa, that's a "no colon" pattern.

20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Coins&lot_uid=311875

Although again Copper pennies not attributed 1847 Medusa and bought a low grade one off ebay for £10.

I don't think you could ID it if in low grade? The example would have to be near to EF in order to make out the Medusa head

25 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I don't think you could ID it if in low grade? The example would have to be near to EF in order to make out the Medusa head

The 1847 No Colon & Medusa is the same coin Peck ,so other indicators such as the shield & rose are easier to spot.

20 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

The 1847 No Colon & Medusa is the same coin Peck ,so other indicators such as the shield & rose are easier to spot.

Ah yes. Confusing that the same coin goes by two different names.

Another medusa/no colon 1847 - this one went unsold in June 2019 - link

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Another medusa/no colon 1847 - this one went unsold in June 2019 - link

Its the same one as Coopers coins.

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its the same one as Coopers coins.

Well at least we know a little bit of its history now B)  

41 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Ah yes. Confusing that the same coin goes by two different names.

It's the shield which makes it instantly recognisable for me. Completely different to all the rest.  

If they haven't already been accounted for, LCA sold two medusa's in 2018. One was lot No 2420 on 2.9.18, VF and went for £500 hammer, & the other was lot 766 on 3.12.18, EF and went for £2620 hammer - link  

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If they haven't already been accounted for, LCA sold two medusa's in 2018. One was lot No 2420 on 2.9.18, VF and went for £500 hammer, & the other was lot 766 on 3.12.18, EF and went for £2620 hammer - link  

You will struggle to find any not known about to date Mike and the first one was discovered about twenty years ago , so far only 12 known.

The one that sold for £500 was mine and the other a forum members.

They are definately Rare and will be hard to find ,just to get some 1847 pennies to check is hard and only 1 or 2 a month listed on ebay.

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

You will struggle to find any not known about to date Mike and the first one was discovered about twenty years ago , so far only 12 known.

The one that sold for £500 was mine and the other a forum members.

They are definately Rare and will be hard to find ,just to get some 1847 pennies to check is hard and only 1 or 2 a month listed on ebay.

Indeed, Pete. Even the bog standard 1847's aren't exactly plentiful. 

Still it might help Richard with his new slot for the Medusa's on his rare penny site, as they hadn't yet been mentioned. 

I thought you would know their history. Do you know where the others are?

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed, Pete. Even the bog standard 1847's aren't exactly plentiful. 

Still it might help Richard with his new slot for the Medusa's on his rare penny site, as they hadn't yet been mentioned. 

I thought you would know their history. Do you know where the others are?

Yes ,Richard will also know the ones known to date although a few are in private collections 👍

• Like 1

Interesting that Jack Cooper's coin hasn't sold despite being advertised on Ebay and in other auctions - can't be that many serious copper penny collectors around.

8 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Interesting that Jack Cooper's coin hasn't sold despite being advertised on Ebay and in other auctions - can't be that many serious copper penny collectors around.

Showing my ignorance (pointless trying to hide it), which is Jack Cooper's coin? 

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Yes, imagine how quick it would have gone if it had been an 1877 narrow date penny in the same condition, also for £815.

The 1877 narrow date being of roughly equivalent rarity.

Not that I go for all these varieties, I would fight shy of that one because the really interesting feature - the Medusa's head - is not visible. We know it is there because of the other identifiers, but you can't see it in the pictures.