British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thanks both. I have emailed you those 1858/7 pictures you wanted to see Mike. 

35 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Thanks both. I have emailed you those 1858/7 pictures you wanted to see Mike. 

Thanks Ian - I've received them and had a quick glance. Will have a more detailed look later and report back.

Further evidence, I believe, that 1858 was intended to be the last year of copper coins. Then delays struck and we got 1859 and even some 1860.

• Like 1

Been doing a couple of pictures that i think look nice ,so thought i would share them.

1865-m.jpg

• Like 8

Beautiful coins and wonderful pictures, Pete! 

Jerry

• Thanks 1

Peter, those are better pictures than I see any auction houses use...a new career beckons?

• Thanks 1

The pennies are crap, but the pictures are bloody good. :)

• Haha 3

Bored and cant sleep so done a couple more with a video for a change.

Well Richard i should of perhaps listened properly to my mate who showed me as that didnt work 😂

Edited by PWA 1967

Don't worry Pete, I've never seen a video of a coin that was better than a photograph. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Don't worry Pete, I've never seen a video of a coin that was better than a photograph. :)

Dont knock it until you have seen a good one ,you may be surprised 😂

How many times has someone said "Looks better in hand" or "Hard to take a picture in plastic ".

Proofs  show much better and the video does not hide anything and can be better than a photograph .

All good fun and was just trying to do something a bit different with a comparison of both a picture and video ,which then would of let you be able to decide .

Edited by PWA 1967

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

You could add a commentary, which might be interesting. Not to mention seeing the coin(s) from different angles.

Problem is with the uploading, as a raw video recording taken on a smartphone, say, or a tablet, will normally be too big to send anywhere, if it's longer than about 18 seconds.  

You have to find some way to compress the size, which isn't always as easy as it sounds.  

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dont knock it until you have seen a good one ,you may be surprised 😂

How many times has someone said "Looks better in hand" or "Hard to take a picture in plastic ".

Proofs  show much better and the video does not hide anything and can be better than a photograph .

All good fun and was just trying to do something a bit different with a comparison of both a picture and video ,which then would of let you be able to decide .

Have another go then. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Had another go but sruggling 😂

Can you upload the video to YouTube and then post a link or embed it here? 

Continuing Pete's idea of a video, I've tried to do one as a demo. Probably be a dismal failure, and even if it does come off, will be a bit crude as a first attempt.

demo video

demo video 2

ETA: Well it did work, but they came through as downloads. There must be a simpler way. Maybe somebody else can take this idea forward?

Edited by 1949threepence

Now managed to do one of the above as a you tube link. Will try next getting a longer video.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Now managed to do one of the above as a you tube link. Will try next getting a longer video.

I know it's a first attempt and has potential for improvement, but it neatly demonstrates the downside to videos which is the subject keeps moving position. When you study a coin it helps to keep the image constant and let your eyes move where you want them to rather than play catch-up. Trying to study a small area or feature is impossible. Take pictures from different angles by all means to try and emphasise a point or feature, but to show something, it needs to stay still. i.e. less technological input or video skills is more, unless it is done as an entry for a video competition.

This was discussed a few years back when someone kept posting their recent acquisitions as videos. Couldn't view the coins properly unless the video was halted - which for most is the same as taking a regular picture. I really struggle to see any benefit in doing it this way.

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

I know it's a first attempt and has potential for improvement, but it neatly demonstrates the downside to videos which is the subject keeps moving position. When you study a coin it helps to keep the image constant and let your eyes move where you want them to rather than play catch-up. Trying to study a small area or feature is impossible. Take pictures from different angles by all means to try and emphasise a point or feature, but to show something, it needs to stay still. i.e. less technological input or video skills is more, unless it is done as an entry for a video competition.

This was discussed a few years back when someone kept posting their recent acquisitions as videos. Couldn't view the coins properly unless the video was halted - which for most is the same as taking a regular picture. I really struggle to see any benefit in doing it this way.

I agree. Unless you can find some way of keeping the camera motionless in the ideal position, then there isn't really a massive gain from it. To be honest I was thinking that as I watched it for the first time. I suppose it might prove useful if you did need to demonstrate a specific point. But other than that, it's probably more heat than light.

Nonetheless, at least it can be done via you tube, and it's also possible to upload a much longer video, if needs be. Although I won't be doing so as there's nothing to show.  

21 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I agree. Unless you can find some way of keeping the camera motionless in the ideal position, then there isn't really a massive gain from it. To be honest I was thinking that as I watched it for the first time. I suppose it might prove useful if you did need to demonstrate a specific point. But other than that, it's probably more heat than light.

Nonetheless, at least it can be done via you tube, and it's also possible to upload a much longer video, if needs be. Although I won't be doing so as there's nothing to show.  

I can see it will be good for less scrupulous sellers as it provides style over substance and will probably appear on ebay at some point. Why show a truthful and accurate representation with a still image when technological smoke and mirrors are available?

Sad but true - people like fashion, fads, novel ideas, things their mates have etc. at the expense of practicality.

56 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Mike, you could mount your phone on a stand and use a remote control to avoid motion. This one mentions control of the camera for photographs but I would think that video control should be possible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satechi-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-compatible-Microsoft/dp/B00824948U

• Like 1

When i did one ,i put the phone in a stand ( cut a hole in a plastic tub 😄 ) which then allowed me to have both hands free.I put the coin close to the camera ,tilted the coin a couple of times and turned it over ,so moving the coin at different angles.It was just an alternative way of looking at a coin that represents exacly how you would view it if looking in hand. I was bored the other morning and just a different way of putting the coin on the forum ,although Matt ( Forum member ) three or four years ago sent me a video of a coin which he wasnt sure was a proof. We both agreed at the time it looked so much better with regards being able to tell than the photograph.

Much better to move the coin close to the camera and turn it over than just doing a video of a flat coin that isnt moving  ,if anyone can be bothered  😃

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

Mike, you could mount your phone on a stand and use a remote control to avoid motion. This one mentions control of the camera for photographs but I would think that video control should be possible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satechi-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-compatible-Microsoft/dp/B00824948U

That looks a tidy and useful bit of kit. Not too expensive either. 

The idea on this occasion was just to see whether I upload the video to the forum. Now I know that's possible, the potential is there to move forward to something more sophisticated next time, assuming that a need arises to do one. Probably will in due course. 

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Another alternative would be to take a still picture then import it into a video editor and add your voiceover.

• Like 1