British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

6 hours ago, jelida said:

I’m afraid I got those, Richard,  I will keep at least one of them. One does not appear to have the die crack on the portrait and I suppose could be an earlier strike from a known die ; the second has a long die crack on the portrait which is in a different position from the others shown on your site so at least three D2 obverse dies. Both have the ‘nipple’ colons. There is also a nice ‘triple F’ ( a well lustred one went in the last DNW for nearly a grand, but usually just £2-300) and a lovely doubled N in penny, and other little repairs of interest. I was underbidder for the V over A and lot 372 with the good F24 and F5 heavy flan and nice F1 amongst others, I was sad to have to give up there (though both my F24’s are better). I won 368 with the N over Z, F1 and a couple of nice letter repairs and more importantly what I think is an F13 ‘ N over upside down N’ in Penny, with a serif bottom right and slightly wedged diagonal as in my F33. There is a die flaw in the vicinity, we’ll see how it looks under the microscope but I am pretty convinced. It would not be a surprising error as I’ve said before.

Jerry

That was an excellent lot with the D2's Jerry. Was hoping to get one of those, but well done to you.

Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jelida said:

though both my F24’s are better

Jerry, I don't think I've got your normal F24 on my rare website ?

57 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Jerry, I don't think I've got your normal F24 on my rare website ?

Yes it is there, it’s the dark toned EF plus ex Bamford specimen.

Jerry

1861  F28  5+G    This one came in the post today ,  Not the finest example to be found. but one I didn't have.

1102553763_1861F285-Gobvlow.JPG.eb37e1a05a39e87e2433ce3a4e0b4f4e.JPG295382407_1861F285-Glow.JPG.909c53e37e07f53932d837b177f700db.JPG

• Like 4

On 3/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, 1949threepence said:

It's interesting Bob. Hiram had the two F90's in his collection, the first of which went on 12th February, also at a DNW auction, for less than half the price of the latest one. The first one did have a bit of a ding from obverse to reverse, but otherwise wasn't too bad. At any rate, I wouldn't have thought it was worth just half of today's offering, which is sub fine, but issue free.  

£5,500 hammer, and off the top of my head calculation wise, a bit over £7k with the premium.  

Here is a nice one I sold to the guy in Cardiff, about 10 years ago!

IMG_1782.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, secret santa said:

He bought Laurie Bamford's and a couple from LCA, too.

Obviously really likes F90's. 

• Like 2

I remember Terry put up a montage of 1901 penny date widths, particularly pointing out the position of the last '1'.

I think this is an extra wide version- '1' over the tooth completely?

405595786_P10400762.jpeg.c8581d56ab80e7711d118ea5307ffce7.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

I remember Terry put up a montage of 1901 penny date widths, particularly pointing out the position of the last '1'.

405595786_P10400762.jpeg.c8581d56ab80e7711d118ea5307ffce7.jpeg

O well done , i've not seen that one before.

• Like 1

Oh wow that's great!

Many years ago I went though a pile of 1901's, and found three or four of the wide ones.

I've looked since then at every 1901 I ever see on line- I've never seen one.

The second one down turns up- I have to really check to see if it's totally over the 1, and it hasn't been.

The third one down amounts to 95% of them , in my estimation.

The bottom one is also one I've been looking for- not seen one in any condition.

I could be wrong on this- pointings in photographs are so influenced by lighting angles etc.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, blakeyboy said:

Veiled head pennies have a very wide variation of date numerals - 1899 seems to be the worst culprit. They're nowhere near as dramatic as the 1870s variations, but still, there's a lot of them.

23 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Oh wow that's great!

Many years ago I went though a pile of 1901's, and found three or four of the wide ones.

I've looked since then at every 1901 I ever see on line- I've never seen one.

The second one down turns up- I have to really check to see if it's totally over the 1, and it hasn't been.

The third one down amounts to 95% of them , in my estimation.

The bottom one is also one I've been looking for- not seen one in any condition.

I could be wrong on this- pointings in photographs are so influenced by lighting angles etc.

i think I mean the second one down being the common one....

I've just discovered the sun shining onto the date of an 1863 penny.

1624894226_1863F42lines1zoom.JPG.8a79c659ad37ce93e42ccfbe95076ae6.JPG

Must be a die clash of border teeth, I guess.

• Like 5

The border teeth die clashes do sometimes appear in some unusual places. I have found the one pictured below on two 1860 F16 pieces in exactly the same location.

I have used the gradual transparency technique in the second set of pictures to demonstrate the clash.

1860W (H + d) Reverse Teeth Gaps.jpg

It's another smoking knee! Must be close to a "recognised variety" by now. 😉

• Haha 2

On 3/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, Paddy said:

It's another smoking knee! Must be close to a "recognised variety" by now. 😉

A really exquisite smoking knee on this one 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, Paddy said:

It's another smoking knee! 

"Smoking Knee" is in Wyoming.

Or should be.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, blakeyboy said:

Or should be.

... half way between Wounded Knee and Kicked in the Crotch...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Or should be.

Or maybe just over the border in Alberta Canada, along with Medicine Hat. 

8 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Or should be.

Nah, there's only one place in Wyoming worth mentioning - Armpit. See image from 1982. It's still there, but looking at recent pictures the walls of the sheds have been upgraded in the interim. When I was there, a guy lived in one of the huts over the summer, then went down into the valley during the winter to work on the oil wells at Lovell. As guests, we dossed in the other shed where he kept his dynamite and ammunition! The mining bucket in the right distance was inscribed 'Welcome to Armpit WY. The threshold of a new reality'. The place was one of three uranium mines from the 1930s, the other two being Groin and Earwax, both sadly no more.

img974.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Me, the day before the 2017 total eclipse, waiting for service at the gas station in Gonad, Idaho.

P1020913.jpeg.29973adc2498a8fc35dcc32733997bbe.jpeg

• Like 4

Gonad lubrication 😉

Nice!

Looks a bit down at heel...