British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

London Coins auction Feb/Mar 2020 - beware Lot 1438 which I believe to be a F763 (more common than F8B) and Lot 1444 which appears to be an F22 with missing top leaf but when you look at pictures from the earlier sale referred to, the top leaf is clearly visible.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:12 PM, Chingford said:

Victoria (1837-1901) Pattern Penny

Ref 23/238 Price £3,875.00

Wt. 9.45g., 1894, obv. by T. Brock, rev. by G. W. de Saulles, in bronze, veiled bust left, normal legend, rev. Britannia seated right, large sailing ship by feet, edge plain, BMC 2065; Gouby PV; F.776 [R18]; S.3955, of the highest rarity, brilliant, toned,
Exe C. W. Peck collection, sold by Spink, 1964-68 and M. J. Freeman, Christie's, 23 October 1984, (248).
practically as struck

I recall one went for ~$15,000 at a Stacks and Bowers auction several years ago, about 2014. I wished I'd bid on the London Coins one from a few years before that which went for ~£1600 hammer. From memory.

Were they making Dreadnoughts then? I think I read that's what the ship is somewhere.

Maybe the same coin that MR sold in his list above.

Edited by oldcopper

53 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

I recall one went for ~$15,000 at a Stacks and Bowers auction several years ago, about 2014. I wished I'd bid on the London Coins one from a few years before that which went for ~£1600 hammer. From memory.

Were they making Dreadnoughts then? I think I read that's what the ship is somewhere.

Maybe the same coin that MR sold in his list above.

Sorry! it's not a dreadnought, it's got sails of course. I should have reminded myself. I think the dreadnought's on a later pattern penny.

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

The only battle ship one I can think of on a penny was the mono faced Edward viii Reverse .

11984804_1937edwardviiipenny9RMM52_revpattern.jpg.3de69c52a30f519dbcef1293a231ff1e.jpg

Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of - great design! 

This is the Royal Mint's Example Richard RMM 52 , below is the blank side and the Rubber Pattern RMM 74.  Also I noticed that your example 8 on the Rare coins is the Example held by the  Royal Collection Trust .     Terry

1112820903_1937edwardviiipenny9RMM52_obvblankpattern.jpg.1d170c32c5548f8bbaeca2a581ea373d.jpg1482131198_1937edwardviiipenny10RMM74_revrubberpattern.jpg.c31bd29178e825b92e41725c2b110cf3.jpg

Edward VIII was often called 'Mono Face'...

16 hours ago, secret santa said:

Is this referenced anywhere, Terry ?

It's in Freeman's book as well, but the photo is not good, you can hardly see the ship.

11 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

It's in Freeman's book as well, but the photo is not good, you can hardly see the ship.

Ah yes, F789 - thanks guys.

16 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Also I noticed that your example 8 on the Rare coins is the Example held by the  Royal Collection Trust .     Terry

Where did you find this information, Terry ?

Thanks Terry, that's an interesting site. I've discovered that it holds a 3rd specimen of the QEII pattern penny (122 beads) stating that it was struck on 17 September 1952, backing up the Royal Mint's comments to me when I had my example authenticated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

Thanks Terry, that's an interesting site. I've discovered that it holds a 3rd specimen of the QEII pattern penny (122 beads) stating that it was struck on 17 September 1952, backing up the Royal Mint's comments to me when I had my example authenticated.

I found that through a search for '1953 penny' and it was the first item. But no mention that there were two earlier patterns - where did you get that information from?

38 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

But no mention that there were two earlier patterns - where did you get that information from?

2 earlier versions of the same pattern - I counted the teeth (122 and both A's point to gaps) on the Royal Collection specimen and it was a 3rd specimen. More details on my rare penny website.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:53 PM, secret santa said:

2 earlier versions of the same pattern - I counted the teeth (122 and both A's point to gaps) on the Royal Collection specimen and it was a 3rd specimen. More details on my rare penny website.

Ah, got you - the 3rd example.

Rather pleased to have obtained a 1918H penny with a fully struck up breastplate and reasonable hair detail. It's very difficult to find specimens with a good strike to both obverse and reverse. This one is otherwise only about EF, with a tiny trace of lustre in the legend, but it's the rest of it which appealed to me. My previous one was not as good, and has been consigned to the oddments drawer.

excellent 1918H rev.jpg

excellent 1918H obv.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice, pleasant “H”s of both 1918 and 1919 are always welcomed! I had a devil of a time finding specimens with good colour, and obverse and reverse truly struck up.

• Like 1

Anybody here get lot 103, the 1877 narrow date penny at today's DNW auction? It went for £5,500. Didn't expect it to make that much. 

I see that the 2 D2 coins went for £1800 - it's probably the first time that this variety has come to market in recognisable form even though they weren't catalogued as such. It will be interesting to see what they sell on for, assuming they were bought for that reason. This sale values them at around £7-900 each.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

I see that the 2 D2 coins went for £1800 - it's probably the first time that this variety has come to market in recognisable form even though they weren't catalogued as such. It will be interesting to see what they sell on for, assuming they were bought for that reason. This sale values them at around £7-900 each.

I’m afraid I got those, Richard,  I will keep at least one of them. One does not appear to have the die crack on the portrait and I suppose could be an earlier strike from a known die ; the second has a long die crack on the portrait which is in a different position from the others shown on your site so at least three D2 obverse dies. Both have the ‘nipple’ colons. There is also a nice ‘triple F’ ( a well lustred one went in the last DNW for nearly a grand, but usually just £2-300) and a lovely doubled N in penny, and other little repairs of interest. I was underbidder for the V over A and lot 372 with the good F24 and F5 heavy flan and nice F1 amongst others, I was sad to have to give up there (though both my F24’s are better). I won 368 with the N over Z, F1 and a couple of nice letter repairs and more importantly what I think is an F13 ‘ N over upside down N’ in Penny, with a serif bottom right and slightly wedged diagonal as in my F33. There is a die flaw in the vicinity, we’ll see how it looks under the microscope but I am pretty convinced. It would not be a surprising error as I’ve said before.

Jerry

• Like 2

Today I got a 1911 hollow neck in F for £15.

I'm really pleased.

:)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Anybody here get lot 103, the 1877 narrow date penny at today's DNW auction? It went for £5,500. Didn't expect it to make that much. 

I don't know who won it, but if I was a betting man, I would think it went to Cardiff, to the guy who has the other three (3)!

• Like 1

Just now, RLC35 said:

I don't know who won it, but if I was a betting man, I would think it went to Cardiff, to the guy who has the other three (3)!

It's interesting Bob. Hiram had the two F90's in his collection, the first of which went on 12th February, also at a DNW auction, for less than half the price of the latest one. The first one did have a bit of a ding from obverse to reverse, but otherwise wasn't too bad. At any rate, I wouldn't have thought it was worth just half of today's offering, which is sub fine, but issue free.  

£5,500 hammer, and off the top of my head calculation wise, a bit over £7k with the premium.