British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

O don't we all want to find the rare ones, but to put it into perspective , if you add all of the reverse F types the  F19  F24  F27  F32  the sum total of 48 coins are at present known, so the rev.F is always Rare , but keep looking there must be more still to be found out there.  :D

Very occasionally one does randomly show up. But those moments are as rare as the coins themselves. 

• Like 1

Or somebody turning up at a Recording Studio tech weekend with a bottle of 24 year old Port Ellen.....it happened, and won't happen again.....

• Haha 2

Mike is right they do occasionally show up. I have bought an F24, F27 and F32 on ebay in the past 5 years.... only 1 of these was spotted by other bidders...  so the total for all three was only around £500.....bargains can still be found, although it is increasingly difficult with so many people now playing the game 

Edited by alfnail
  • Like 2

I guess that lots of us have all bought coins on ebay that look like rarities, but when we get then in hand, they are not.   My closest to a complete steal was an 1862 1/2 pence for £2. There is a mark to the left of the lighthouse that could be a letter A if you look at a certain angle, but i don't think that it is. The coin is in vg condition. Still, i like the coin because it is an interesting one.

Edited by Iannich48

48 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Mike is right they do occasionally show up. I have bought an F24, F27 and F32 on ebay in the past 5 years.... only 1 of these was spotted by other bidders...  so the total for all three was only around £500.....bargains can still be found, although it is increasingly difficult with so many people now playing the game 

That's an impressive haul, Ian. 

21 hours ago, alfnail said:

Thanks Mike, I just kept the one with the best reverse

F32o Predecimal.jpg

F32r Predecimal.jpg

To get an F32 in that condition is fantastic. What a superb specimen. 

This forum is sometimes the best Envy Management Course available.

It should be on the NHS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

It should be on the NHS.

I’ve got the NHS to thank for all my pennies...........🤩

Jerry

• Haha 2

Found this the other day- small 8 over larger 8???

In the hand it's really clear, but a pig to photograph!P1030992.jpeg.8344b9e30342886dd5af7ac29edba57f.jpegP1030991.jpeg.c3dcd17f5d44477c0b7d6bc4afaee306.jpegP1030989.jpeg.ee4d4bdc240d53a390ad6f15a6e42ad0.jpeg

Very interesting. Looks like the final 1 is over another 1 too, which is mentioned in Freeman for this 6+G pairing, but not your 8 over.

Wonder if it actually an 8 over an inverted 8 ?? That is known on some 1862 farthings, for example, and is another of those recutting slips the mint were prone to in the early years of the bronze coinage...

I bet it's worth nothing, until there are about 20 known, when the price then goes crazy.

I have  a few one-offs that I'm sitting on just in case....:)

17 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I bet it's worth nothing, until there are about 20 known, when the price then goes crazy.

I have  a few one-offs that I'm sitting on just in case....:)

Not necessarily, and definitely worth an investment. I had to do a double take as it's not dissimilar to an 8 over 6. You just never know what might suddenly cause major interest down the line. 

Talking of 8 over 6's, I actually bought one in March last year. Lot 1253 at the LCA. Except it's not a F33A. It's actually a F18 (2 + D) modified to Gouby AA (D + d). At any rate close to that, but the underlying figure much thinner, hence "wiry 6". Gouby said in 2009 there was only one known. Purchased out of interest and not overly expensive, but only fair. You can clearly see the wiry 6 under magnification.     

Edited by 1949threepence

There's a somewhat similar specimen to Mike's in the next LCA - not quite the same position of 8 but the same wonky last figure 1. 

Also an interesting R over small A (a lazy attempt to repair the leg of the R ?) and a very unconvincing (to me) 1862 PFNNY.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

There's a somewhat similar specimen to Mike's in the next LCA - not quite the same position of 8 but the same wonky last figure 1. 

Also an interesting R over small A (a lazy attempt to repair the leg of the R ?) and a very unconvincing (to me) 1862 PFNNY.

Looks more like wear to me. Maybe not a brilliant strike when minted. 

R over A ,  really,  not for me and I think most people will shy away from it as well .  We'll all have to wait and see if another clearer example turns up.  As to the PFNNY this die fill type often turns up on Victorian pennies . Below is a 1890 .

1719866139_189014.25toothwithEasF_inPF.NNYandRinREGhasgapexrare.thumb.JPG.235366bf7a3df76b70dfc9f53dfb223c.JPG

Ooh, I do like the R over A overstrike! Another one to look for!  Won’t be many out there, as it should be quite an easy spot.

Is it on an F10? Looks most likely to me.

Jerry

Edited by jelida

Yes, those PFNNY and ONF varieties are extremely unexciting being die fills, not errors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, jelida said:

Is it on an F10?

I keep swaying between obv 2 and 4. Other opinions ?

25 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I keep swaying between obv 2 and 4. Other opinions ?

I'd say obverse 2. 

What's wrong with the 6 on this F39? Looks like there might have been some metal displacement. Certainly looks like nothing I've ever seen before. 

The link to the sale is here

1862 funny 6.jpg