British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

14 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

What price did the F24 go for please.

£495 I think.

Jerry

Well,  I'll try and take some better pics for you when it turns up...:)

It looks like the top leaf is half still there.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Well done Blake - I'm still trying to get a F24. Difficult one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Thanks Guys - what did it go for ?

£495 as per Jerry's post above. Not unreasonable given the rarity. 

29 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

£495 as per Jerry's post above.

Oops, missed that !

11 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Well done, Blake,  and I agree from the EBay photos that it still has the top leaf, but let’s see what it’s like in the hand. Certainly a bargain price , if you compare with LCA sales.

Jerry

• Like 1

Funny how things go when looking for stuff.
I had 'watched' it,  to look more closely when I had time,

and when I did it still wasn't obvious what was in front of me.

I don't have that reverse, so I only know it from pictures....

I'm trying to put a couple of pics on the 'Coin acquisition of the week' thread...I'm never on it!

Looks like it to me from that pic.

I usually check by looking at the 'N' pointing in 'ONE, but this one is tricky...

1 hour ago, shane carew said:

Happy new year

Is this one of those rare ones.?

I'm not sure to be honest. They're very tricky, as even when the "1" appears to be over a tooth, it can actually be over a gap. Very easy to be fooled. I do know there are distinctly fewer border teeth on a 169. Here's a definite example I copied from LCA:-

F169.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Looks like it to me from that pic.

I usually check by looking at the 'N' pointing in 'ONE, but this one is tricky...

Indeed so. A lot of the teeth have worn away, as they have on many 1909 pennies. That may explain why so few 169's have ever come to light, even taking into account the estimated very low mintage.

1 hour ago, shane carew said:

Happy new year

Is this one of those rare ones.?

pen.jpg

I'm not so sure. Though the First 1in the date looks to be to the tooth,  other pointers look incorrect .  The rim on the 169 is more raised up with the teeth usually intact even on a worn coin, also the space between the 1 and 9 is narrower, and the sea on the right hand side runs onto a tooth where as on the 168 its to the gap between the teeth.  sorry.

• Like 2

If I had kept the ebay picture of a set of pennies and put it in this thread, everyone would say the '1' of the 1909 was over a tooth.

When it arrived it so hilariously wasn't.  

Just the angle of the light.  That's all it was.  And this was a good VF+ example.

44 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

If I had kept the ebay picture of a set of pennies and put it in this thread, everyone would say the '1' of the 1909 was over a tooth.

When it arrived it so hilariously wasn't.  

Just the angle of the light.  That's all it was.  And this was a good VF+ example.

Some great pointers from Terry though, which reduce the reliance on judging whether the 1 is over a tooth, as the only determinant of whether the 1909 is a 169 or not.  

• Like 1

Agreed, Mike- it's all going into my 1909 ident file....thanks Terry!

• Like 1

Hi all. Just a quick one if you'd be so good. Do I keep this one or sling it in the scrap? I know what I'd like it to be but I'm easily confused.

PhotoPictureResizer_200103_220320154-1280x720-1024x576.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200103_220441255-1280x720-1024x576.jpg

What would you like it to be Zo? I think it's a Freeman 22, 4+D but wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. :)

Well, I was hoping for F24, like the one a few posts earlier. I can see some similarities between the two reverses. Being the head on a stalk like neck and the gap between the ship and the sea. Also the exergue seems to step up on the RHS rather than sweep slowly. But I'm sure you're right tho. I couldn't be that lucky.

With reverse F there is a rock formation coming up from the area just above where the W of LCW would be - except the wear on this coin prevents a confirmation, one way or the other. Also, the sea to the left of the lighthouse distinctly tails off and doesn't reach the linear circle, but not quite like the one above.

So Bob, I agree with Jon, my guess would be a 4 + D Freeman 22. Interesting metal runs though. Britannia looks like she's sprouting another head.      

The sea to the left doesn't cross the linear circle on either reverse D or F so I put that down to wear, as she is in a shocking condition.

You're right. That extra ghostlike head is quite spectral. Creepy.

Thanks Mike, Jon. I'll consign her to the pot.

12 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Well, I was hoping for F24, like the one a few posts earlier. I can see some similarities between the two reverses. Being the head on a stalk like neck and the gap between the ship and the sea. Also the exergue seems to step up on the RHS rather than sweep slowly. But I'm sure you're right tho. I couldn't be that lucky.

O don't we all want to find the rare ones, but to put it into perspective , if you add all of the reverse F types the  F19  F24  F27  F32  the sum total of 48 coins are at present known, so the rev.F is always Rare , but keep looking there must be more still to be found out there.  :D

• Like 2