British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm struggling to join the dots.  Can anyone give me a synopsis of this ellipsis hypothesis... ?

• Haha 1

ooh...new one on me- picture?

Unknown but not unloved....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

My 1967 dot on trident penny is feeling quite left out and unloved.

OK Dave, If we are doing Dots on the trident...here is my 1922 "Dot on Trident"

IMG_2598.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I'm struggling to join the dots.  Can anyone give me a synopsis of this ellipsis hypothesis... ?

...Moses supposes erroneously.....

The 1946 have never been a 'dot' but more like an apostrophe.

18 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

The 1946 have never been a 'dot' but more like an apostrophe.

Wrong on that one Peck. I have a 1946 with a definite "Dot"...see my earlier pic. I also have one with the apostrophe. 

Luxury.

We used to DREAM of an apostrophe......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Luxury.

We used to DREAM of an apostrophe......

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Wrong on that one Peck. I have a 1946 with a definite "Dot"...see my earlier pic. I also have one with the apostrophe. 

I hadn't seen your picture (I often reply to a topic without noticing there are more pages, unread). That dot is somewhat elliptical though not the apostrophe it clearly is on other examples.

Two hypotheses: 1. It started as an ellipse which 'grew' a tail due to deformation. 2. It started as an 'apostrophe' but the tail - being rather thin and fine - got filled in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I hadn't seen your picture (I often reply to a topic without noticing there are more pages, unread). That dot is somewhat elliptical though not the apostrophe it clearly is on other examples.

Two hypotheses: 1. It started as an ellipse which 'grew' a tail due to deformation. 2. It started as an 'apostrophe' but the tail - being rather thin and fine - got filled in.

Good explanation, but still off the mark. The picture was taken through a slab and some shadowing may make it seem elliptical, but it is not, it is round. It is also far away (different location) from any part of the apostrophe on the coin that has a apostrophe. They are two different varieties.

All the Best, Bob

22 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Good explanation, but still off the mark. The picture was taken through a slab and some shadowing may make it seem elliptical, but it is not, it is round. It is also far away (different location) from any part of the apostrophe on the coin that has a apostrophe. They are two different varieties.

All the Best, Bob

That will teach me not only to go back and look at a missed picture, but read the rest of the page as well!

That makes your example possibly unique? And therefore sadly undesirable as a collectable though a very interesting curio.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

That will teach me not only to go back and look at a missed picture, but read the rest of the page as well!

That makes your example possibly unique? And therefore sadly undesirable as a collectable though a very interesting curio.

There's a strange irony about that. The very rare and the extremely rare are prized. But the one off otherwise unknown variety, is not.

It isn't "collectable by collectors" as only one person can ever own it.  

I say "otherwise unknown" because if an 1863 die No 1 or 6 were to appear, it would be a one off, but part of a known family - so the same rules don't apply (as it were).  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

"collectable by collectors" 

Collectable is an interesting word. Does it mean "capable of collection", in which case anything could be regarded as collectable, or "worthy of collecting" which could very much apply to a unique item ? In the case of a unique coin, there is probably a fascinating story behind it, which may or may never be told but would be interesting to discover.

• Like 1

Even with a unique item there will be plenty of competition from those who collect the series. It isn't so much a case of the demand not being there, rather a case of the elevated price reducing the number of people willing to fork out. I think a lot of people will view the rarities as an expendable luxury when the funds required would pay for a lot more of the pieces they want. Other than a lack of funds, there is no reason to exclude the rarities, as all contribute to the overall story.

• Like 2

I think what I mean is that a coin exhibiting, say, a single dot, such as the 1946 penny possessed by Bob, with no other known examples, is never going to be collectable by a group of competing collectors, as a) there is only one, and b) it isn't going to spark that much interest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

I think what I mean is that a coin exhibiting, say, a single dot, such as the 1946 penny possessed by Bob, with no other known examples, is never going to be collectable by a group of competing collectors, as a) there is only one, and b) it isn't going to spark that much interest.

Put anything into a reference volume and everybody wants one. There is a huge number of box tickers in the hobby.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

There's a strange irony about that. The very rare and the extremely rare are prized. But the one off otherwise unknown variety, is not.

It isn't "collectable by collectors" as only one person can ever own it.  

I say "otherwise unknown" because if an 1863 die No 1 or 6 were to appear, it would be a one off, but part of a known family - so the same rules don't apply (as it were).  

I think that a genuine new variety, a new die, or number or letter overstrike would have no difficulty attracting a massive premium. But I am inclined to agree regarding the dots and die flaws,  at least until published. 

Jerry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jelida said:

I think that a genuine new variety, a new die, or number or letter overstrike would have no difficulty attracting a massive premium. But I am inclined to agree regarding the dots and die flaws,  at least until published. 

Jerry

100% agreed. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

100% agreed. 

This has been a interesting discussion about Dots, Apostrophe's, etc. I agree with Mike and Jerry, that once a variety is "published" it will be more of a accepted Variety, regardless of the number available to collectors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RLC35 said:

This has been a interesting discussion about Dots, Apostrophe's, etc. I agree with Mike and Jerry, that once a variety is "published" it will be more of a accepted Variety, regardless of the number available to collectors.

There you go then, Bob. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to get that 1946 dot penny published as a variety.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Agreed. It's not "one in a series". Like my 1964 filled die sixpence with the I of GRATIA missing - unless others turn up and it gets recorded, I'm not going to make a fortune from it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Agreed. It's not "one in a series". Like my 1964 filled die sixpence with the I of GRATIA missing - unless others turn up and it gets recorded, I'm not going to make a fortune from it.

You guys are going to love this! The "Dot" variety is a published variety by CGS, it is a 1946 Raised Dot, CGS Variety 03. ...

IMG_2161 (640x480).jpg

Edited by RLC35
  • Like 1

So, if this dot among several dots is in a CGS slab then how are the masses supposed to differentiate between dots A, B C etc given you have to be a member to look at their site which means you have to cough up a fee to get the information. As a result of the limited access, this variety (and others) will effectively remain 'unrecorded' to the majority through lack of information and a ballpark price will be similarly elusive.

Varieties need to be published in a printed volume to gain any traction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Varieties need to be published in a printed volume to gain any traction.

Totally agreed - CGS might have been slapping numbers on minor Victorian and George IV farthing varieties for years, but the market hasn't noticed...

8 hours ago, RLC35 said:

You guys are going to love this! The "Dot" variety is a published variety by CGS, it is a 1946 Raised Dot, CGS Variety 03. ...

IMG_2161 (640x480).jpg

Thanks Bob. New discovery as far as most of us are concerned.