British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

As usual, I sea the Punmeisters General have started their outboards and are going overboard plumbing the depths.

It was only a matter of time for the jokes to hit rock bottom.

I'm not going to join in. I don't give in to pier pressure.  I'm not that gullible.

Blake, a veritable tsunami of puns there, leaving me high and dry in my attempts to find more. A real watershed moment in punnery. 

• Haha 2

I tried to keep up standards by also including a plural compound noun....:)

As a certain N. Molesworth said:

A tool shed is where you keep tools

A bike shed is where you keep bikes.

A watershed is where you keep water.

is that yours Pete?

They're great pics Pete - why not build yourself a website for us all to view ?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, secret santa said:

They're great pics Pete - why not build yourself a website for us all to view ?

My collecting interest is probably different than most as i am always upgrading and making changes .Although people dont like putting coins in plastic slabs it allows for me to look at most of the main collection including pictures at a glance as i dont keep the coins at home.The main collection is now made up of mainly just high grade pennies rather than including low grade varieties the majority of which i have sold ,so to look at a website would probably be boring as they would all look similar with just a different date .I prefer the photographs to maybe show others being edited as also allows people to make there own opinion on the coins grades and faults rather than just looking at the ones given by a grading company.

Some i buy i doubt very much like the 1909 DOT i will find a better one but if over the next few years (if i am still interested) other high grade ones turn up i will sell it 🙂

Thank you for the comment on the pictures and hope you are now able to edit any that you may want to do similar.

The 1909 DOT below is the one i upgraded from.

1909smaller.jpg

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

My collecting interest is probably different than most as i am always upgrading and making changes .Although people dont like putting coins in plastic slabs it allows for me to look at most of the main collection including pictures at a glance as i dont keep the coins at home.The main collection is now made up of mainly just high grade pennies rather than including low grade varieties the majority of which i have sold ,so to look at a website would probably be boring as they would all look similar with just a different date .I prefer the photographs to maybe show others being edited as also allows people to make there own opinion on the coins grades and faults rather than just looking at the ones given by a grading company.

Some i buy i doubt very much like the 1909 DOT i will find a better one but if over the next few years (if i am still interested) other high grade ones turn up i will sell it 🙂

Thank you for the comment on the pictures and hope you are now able to edit any that you may want to do similar.

The 1909 DOT below is the one i upgraded from.

1909smaller.jpg

Don't know what the respective obverses are like, but for me this one has the much sharper strike of the two.

• Like 1

Yes ,you may well be right Mike and as i mentioned my collecting interest may be different than most ,its just my own preferance that if i have two of something that are similar i will always keep the one with the most lustre.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Were both unattributed Pete?

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Were both unattributed Pete?

One was and one wasnt ,although i have had a couple of low grade ones that were not , collectors look for the F169 and maybe dont want or bother to look for the dot.

Its not much of a variety :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

One was and one wasnt ,although i have had a couple of low grade ones that were not , collectors look for the F169 and maybe dont want or bother to look for the dot.

Its not much of a variety :D

I've been known to spend an hour looking for an F169 without remembering to check for the dot. :lol:

Did anybody here win the F41 1862 halfpenny date or 1913 F176 that finished on EBay yesterday? I was underbidder for the F176,  but I didn’t push the boat out as I have one similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1862-VICTORIA-BUN-HEAD-PENNY-CLEAR-DATE-SEE-IMAGES-FOR-EXACT-VARIETY/401864763463?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R71-Great-Britain-1913-Penny-PCGS-MS-64-Red-Brown/312755247556?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

More for Richards pages, if not already noted.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Done, Thanks Jerry.

I was the second bidder on the F41- always the bridesmaid.....

29 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I was the second bidder on the F41- always the bridesmaid.....

Hard luck, Blake, not a bad coin and a fair price. I had wondered if it was you, I tend to look at bidding histories, when I spotted signal processors, leads and speakers I thought they would be right up your street. Yours will turn up eventually.

Jerry

• Haha 1

You learn fast, Grasshopper.....

19 hours ago, jelida said:

Did anybody here win the F41 1862 halfpenny date or 1913 F176 that finished on EBay yesterday? I was underbidder for the F176,  but I didn’t push the boat out as I have one similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1862-VICTORIA-BUN-HEAD-PENNY-CLEAR-DATE-SEE-IMAGES-FOR-EXACT-VARIETY/401864763463?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R71-Great-Britain-1913-Penny-PCGS-MS-64-Red-Brown/312755247556?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Jerry

I wish I'd seen the 176. It's a nice specimen.

An F38 for Richard's rarest penny website - link here 

ETA: Although on closer inspection, I'm pretty sure it's the same coin as example 5 on his list of F38's.

Edited by 1949threepence

My ongoing exploration of old Coin Monthly editions, recently purchased, has revealed a number of interesting penny surveys carried during the period 1967 to 1970. However, one of the most interesting in this regard, is from the June 1970 edition. Headed "a pile of pennies" by P J Lynch, it details the fact that on Friday 27th February 1970, some celebrities, including Richard Attenborough and Roger Moore, pulled down a record breaking column of pennies at the ABC Bowl Club, North Harrow. Weighing almost a ton, the column of pennies towered 11 feet and 10 inches. There was a total of about 117,000 - hence my interest, as this is a very significant population size to extrapolate meaningful stats from. The pennies had been collected over the previous 8 months, from contributions by patrons of the club.

There was a slight bias inasmuch as all the silver and brass contributed during special collections had been exchanged for pennies at the bank, and these showed a bias towards mint state 1967 pennies (39%).

There apparently wasn't time to carry out a full survey, so they concentrated on the Edwardian period and other significant dates surrounding that. The results were as follows:-

DATE                                   NUMBER OF COINS FOUND                       

in first 30 bags              in all 98 bags

1860 - 1894 buns               15                                    38

1895 - 1901                         48                                     *

1902LT                                   2                                     4

1902                                     38                                     *

1903                                     22                                     *

1904                                     10                                     *

1905                                     32                                     *

1906                                     87                                     *

1907                                     97                                     *

1908                                     58                                     *

1909                                     41                                     *

1910                                     42                                     *

1912H                                  17                                     *

1918H                                  Nil                                    5

1918KN                                  1                                    6

1919H                                     7                                    *

1919KN                                  1                                    4

1926                                      16                                    *

1926ME                                  1                                   1

1950                                      Nil                                   1

1951                                      Nil                                 Nil

1953                                      Nil                                   1

* Numerous specimens not counted

Gives some indication of just what was out there at the time.     

I'm surprised at the low number of 1918Hs. Even allowing for the large number of H & KNs extracted by this time, the presence of a large number of 1919s makes the data seem a little skewed.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm surprised at the low number of 1918Hs. Even allowing for the large number of H & KNs extracted by this time, the presence of a large number of 1919s makes the data seem a little skewed.

Yes, that was a bit surprising, as was the apparent much greater number of 1919H specimens. 

I should have also added that in the main body of the article, the author stated: "Veiled head Victorian pennies were quite common, but the first 36,000 pennies produced none from 1895, although one came to light eventually". That too slightly surprised me.  

22 hours ago, Rob said:

When I went through bank bags in the late 60s (ok, not a scientific survey! but nevertheless...) I found :

1912H - too many  to list

1919H - probably around 10

1918KN - 2

1919KN, 1918H - none

Draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1

Not much happening on here lately 🙂

Another recent upgrade that probably most people dont want or look for although i think they are scarce due to only being another dot / flaw and looking at a lot of 1922 pennies to try and find them.

The only one i have seen that sold at auction was in the Workman sale.

1922 DOT and again like the 1909 DOT in the updated Freeman.

1922wimageblackened.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1