British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

£2 isn't bad at all, for a 'no waves' variety.

• Thanks 1

Just received this today all the way from the United States of America. Big Hat Off to Pete for pointing me towards it. Very good price.

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

• Like 6

Not a bad one Ian.........I should of bought it myself  :D

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, IanB said:

Just received this today all the way from the United States of America. Big Hat Off to Pete for pointing me towards it. Very good price.

F106? :huh:

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

F106? :huh:

Exactly 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IanB said:

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

That's a nice issue free specimen, Ian. The F106 is scarce. Mine is ex Michael Freeman, VF, but not quite as nice as yours. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IanB said:

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

Yes, it’s a decent example. I had spotted it too a couple of weeks ago- I think it did a complete cycle without a bite- but as I have a better example and am SKINT I left it. It was very good of Pete to think of another member here, HAT OFF Pete well done.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IanB said:

Exactly 👍

Good work. :)

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Good work. :)

All credit to Pete.

Dont know if it will help but Dave Craddock has just got a 1861 F28 if anyone is looking for one.

I only mention it on here as he will probably sell it at Wakefield on Sunday otherwise 🙂

What do you make of these images, Gents - out of interest?

SD2.jpg

SD3.jpg

and another

SD4.jpg

20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dont know if it will help but Dave Craddock has just got a 1861 F28 if anyone is looking for one.

I only mention it on here as he will probably sell it at Wakefield on Sunday otherwise 🙂

I have a F28 gap....what condition?

47 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I have a F28 gap....what condition?

Its about fine Blake although i have not seen it and just what Dave told me on Monday.

The price though you are best to phone him up before the weekend as the Wakefield show on Sunday.

If you havent got his number and are interested just PM me or alternatively wait for a better one to turn up 🙂

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

and another

SD4.jpg

It’s so difficult with the wear. The most focussed picture is the top one, and on the basis of that one I would say normal 3. But the less focussed pics could suggest a narrow 3. On balance I would say no, with the proviso that I might change my mind in the hand with angled lighting and a loupe!

Jerry

2 hours ago, jelida said:

It’s so difficult with the wear. The most focussed picture is the top one, and on the basis of that one I would say normal 3. But the less focussed pics could suggest a narrow 3. On balance I would say no, with the proviso that I might change my mind in the hand with angled lighting and a loupe!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry - the coin belongs to another forum member/dealer. He asked me my opinion without saying what he'd spotted, and then asked if I would post it on the forum for him, as he has difficulty with posting photos.

At first I thought was perhaps a die No under date, but immediately discounted that theory. The the possibility it might be a slender three struck me, and that was exactly what he'd thought as well. As you rightly say, the coin is very worn, which doesn't help.    

Here's another pic showing the date juxtaposed with a "normal" 3:-

juxta 2.jpg

The point really is that if you and the rest of us on here cannot be sure of the type, then that's also how all potential buyers will see it.   With rare types, the type indicators must be clear on the coin or it will not be taken seriously.   :( 

I’m still going with normal 3. The angle between the top serif and the diagonal is just not tight enough- the inner angle of the (large) top serif on its right and the angle of the diagonal should be closely aligned. And the lower half of the 3 is too indistinct to prove anything. I can’t see this coin gaining traction......except possibly on LCA, where the 1862/1 they are touting looks dubious in the extreme to me.

Jerry

14 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

The point really is that if you and the rest of us on here cannot be sure of the type, then that's also how all potential buyers will see it.   With rare types, the type indicators must be clear on the coin or it will not be taken seriously.   :( 

I agree Terry, but if that first F27, which was a washer, essentially, could be ID'd as such, then there's maybe a chance for this. It certainly looks different.

I'd advise the owner, @Zo Arms to refer the coin - in hand - to Michael Gouby (if he's willing and available) to possibly get a more definitive conclusion. 

On 25 July 2019 at 5:14 PM, 1949threepence said:

Here's another pic showing the date juxtaposed with a "normal" 3:-

juxta 2.jpg

I wouldn't give any kind of verdict on the lower penny. The whole date has been marmalised - look at the 1, the 8, even the 6. They are all to some extent distorted and damaged.