British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

5 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Some people are looking at them all day Jon and you cant bid with as much confidence only seeing one side in a picture or missing out on something that is hidden.

Hat off to the buyers especially if they took the time to go and have a good look and are happy , its the same as looking at something and knowing its crap on the side that is hidden and not going to high.They may well of bought others we cant see in the picture 🙂

There was obviously something or some in the 1860 Lot selling for over £3K with commision.

With 1860 and 1861 you can't make much of an ID without seeing both sides though, so someone's had a good look in person I guess. The 1862 lot was a fortunate picture I think.

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

The other thing to remember is people often spend a couple of hours looking and find nothing of any value ,its much easier when the sale price has brought it to peoples attention :D

You're not wrong. I only looked that hard because it was obvious something had to be there. :)

Did anybody bid/win an item in that sale of mostly scarce or rare bun pennies sold by Coopers Coins on e bay last night?

Managed to get the F38, a specimen of which I've been trying to obtain for several years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Did anybody bid/win an item in that sale of mostly scarce or rare bun pennies sold by Coopers Coins on e bay last night?

Managed to get the F38, a specimen of which I've been trying to obtain for several years.

Well done, Mike, the F38 was good value. I was shocked by the F76 making £410, very worn and dented, I had thought of a punt at about a ton! The F9 was also pricey, a tolerable VG at £1100 or thereabouts, I had thought half that would have a chance, it doesn’t compare that well with a couple of  LCA offerings of the last few years. I can wait for examples of both of those.

An interesting collection albeit lower grade, will have taken some effort to put together. 

Jerry

2 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Anyone got a link to the F9 ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIA-1860-TB-BB-MULE-BRONZE-BUN-HEAD-PENNY-2-B-FREEMAN-9-EXTREMELY-RARE/283515298259?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I couldn't believe the F76 price- way more than I was prepared to pay for one like that.

I'll keep looking....!

46 minutes ago, jelida said:

Well done, Mike, the F38 was good value. I was shocked by the F76 making £410, very worn and dented, I had thought of a punt at about a ton! The F9 was also pricey, a tolerable VG at £1100 or thereabouts, I had thought half that would have a chance, it doesn’t compare that well with a couple of  LCA offerings of the last few years. I can wait for examples of both of those.

An interesting collection albeit lower grade, will have taken some effort to put together. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry - yes, I must admit I expected that one to go a bit higher considering its scarcity. But I suppose it's never been considered a "glamorous" scarcity. Nonetheless I'm very pleased I've finally nailed it.

The mule price (£1125 and NF) didn't surprise me one bit. It was always going to go to 4 figures. Let's be honest they only crop up very very occasionally, and they do have a certain cache about them.

The other prices were as follows:-

1861 F30 poor £105.00

1861 F28 NF £360.00

1861 F41 small date, poor £225.00

1874H F76 NF/VG £410.00 (if I hadn't already got one, I'd have gone for this, as they're so rare and only a couple or so known above VF)

1862 8/6 F39A Fair £273.00

1861 F32 VG/Fair £98.09

1861 F18 GF £51.22 (not bad, actually)

1874H F69 Fair/VG £59.00

1903 open 3, Fine £85.11

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Thanks Blake - I've now added the F9 mule to my rare penny site - if anyone has additional examples, I'd be pleased to include them.

Richard

I wish that i had spotted all these pennies for sale. You guys are really alert to all coins for sale it seems. Well done anyway. 

Regards, Ian

• Like 1

I bid on 30, and I got 6 of the cheap ones - the others  Mike listed above were rather an indication that Pennies aren't dead yet....;)

One day a nice F76 will fall out of a tin, like my nice F69 did....

Hopefully.

Sorry about the gap - a pig flew in front of the lamp.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, secret santa said:

Thanks Blake - I've now added the F9 mule to my rare penny site - if anyone has additional examples, I'd be pleased to include them.

Richard

Richard, I have a F9, but I am not sure if I sent you a pic already or not.

55 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I bid on 30, and I got 6 of the cheap ones - the others  Mike listed above were rather an indication that Pennies aren't dead yet....;)

Hopefully.

THIRTY 😵 :D

Having an email from the seller he told me a couple he got more than expected and the F38 he thought was cheap ,all evens itself out if the buyers are happy also and i thought it was a lot to list all at the same time.Its hard to gauge the price on a scarce one as if a couple of people want one it will be worth more to them and it might be a while till another turns up.

I bet you were glad when the auction finished Blake 👍 

Edited by PWA 1967

8 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Richard, I have a F9, but I am not sure if I sent you a pic already or not.

Bob, I don't think I have yours -  but take a look at the site and see if it's up there.

9 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Hopefully.

My F76 isn't up to much, Blake. They are exceptionally difficult to get in any grade, and in decent grade, near impossible. 

Have you got a pic of your F69? 

Yes Pete, 30!

I had a feeling that all my big bids on the rare stuff might not work, so I left a pile on other stuff- consolation packet through the door.

Cheap open 3 to stop me wanting a VF example....

Here's that F69 that was in a £16 lot a few years back...

Sorry about the mark on Victoria's cheek - she was impatient while I was taking the pictures and got a bit lippy....

P1030770.jpeg.6e6f8af860fd86f692cb15b48309d8b2.jpegP1030769.jpeg.c451d00b0445c222d229c4049f3e9f36.jpeg

• Like 3

Yep, that's a beauty and a stunning bargain, Blake. The obverse is near EF. Here's my VF specimen:-

F69 REV.jpg

F69 OBV.jpg

• Like 4

A F76 like yours went on Flea Bay for £450 about six years ago- i missed it and I'm still annoyed....!

7 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

A F76 like yours went on Flea Bay for £450 about six years ago- i missed it and I'm still annoyed....!

This one went on LCA for the same amount (hammer) in March 2014. A really nice one.

F76 FROM MAR 14 REV.jpg

F76 FROM MAR 14 OBV.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 9:53 PM, mrbadexample said:

Do these help? 

DNW 981 (2).jpg

DNW 981 (3).jpg

DNW 981 (4).jpg

Just been in e mail contact with the seller of the batch of lower grade rarities we've been discussing on here, and he tells me that - as I suspected - many of the coins came from the June dnw auction, including the F38 pictured above. Obviously those huge batches of bronze on offer yielded some great finds.

What's interesting is that the F39A and F41 that were also sold on e bay last Sunday night, were not the ones pictured above. They were much inferior. So maybe he's keeping them for his own collection, or plans to sell them on at auction himself.   

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

What's interesting is that the F39A and F41 that were also sold on e bay last Sunday night, were not the ones pictured above. They were much inferior. So maybe he's keeping them for his own collection, or plans to sell them on at auction himself.   

I may have missed these - can anyone supply links ?

6 minutes ago, secret santa said:

You already have them on the site Richard.

17 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Richard:-

The F41

The F39A

You may also have missed this one, Richard. At any rate, it's not loaded on your rare pennies site yet:-

The F30