British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

33 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Differences in the angle of throat and jaw are pretty obvious in those photos too.

Yes, and the top of her dress is complete on ja but just fades away on j.

There seems to be one other difference between the J and the Ja I have noticed and that is to the top of the gown across her left shoulder and out along her outstretched arm.

On the J there are some deep folds running down across her arm , but on the Ja the folds are almost non-existent which as you can see on the worn example I have shown lead to an almost straight line from her neck to her outstretched arm, albeit with a slight dip in the centre.

On the J though the line across the shoulder is broken by darts of the folds even clear on the worn example.   First two  Ja     second  J

1846971095_H-freemanbutwithshorthairGoubyjashorterhairslightconvexedshapeonhelmetjpeg-Copy(2).jpg.e0957a907dcef1f82486b175c463af67.jpg1825727346_18748-HpossJatypeThinshaftandRim.EinPENNYtotooth.JPG.898d3b31a8060697c86813b00584eda4.JPG1971910665_Hnarrowlighthouseslightlyconcaveshapeonhelmetjpeg.jpg.6d8480e62c50daff9a790c9c9c915f4f.jpg464995136_1874Hprob.7-HThickshaftandRim.EinPENNYtotooth.JPG.c476671dc2c95cd5b186e8a255a13b8e.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe you can help me please Terry are Paddys two coins the same reverse or different ?

I am confusing myself now and probably wrong as usual but would just like to be sure 🙂

6 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

All  1875  Rev H [Freeman] pennies are Ja   the J is on the 74s

Brilliant and thank you so much for your reply ,i should of again looked in the book and not spent as much time on the 1874.

Quick easy exp[anation ...Hat off and dont get to sunburnt today 😎

Edited by PWA 1967

Ja  Scream at me if you think i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea as this is a well known established type, with a Gouby classification to give it a Freeman type , such as an  H* so as to end some of the confusion .  :D:huh:

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Ja  Scream at me if you think i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea as this is a well known established type, with a Gouby classification to give it a Freeman type , such as an  H* so as to end some of the confusion . 

In the paperback reprint of Freeman's book in 2016 I made some suggested Freeman classifications (such as Obverse 2* for the 145 tooth obverse that you found and 4* for Gouby's obverse G) but, unless a revised version of Freeman is agreed and published, they can only ever be suggestions with no formal authority. With Michael Freeman no longer interested in the subject, I guess we are left with Michael Gouby who, at least, is open to recording new varieties and types with their associated Gouby identifier. 

I do take your point Richard , but don't under estimate your own input into all of this, as you were responsible for the updates in the latest Freeman , and you after all gave the 2* classification, and many see you as one of the leading authorities on penny varieties, so using the H* for clarity would I think be useful especially as many now turn to your site for information.

17 minutes ago, jelida said:

This vendor seems confident in identifying the ja reverse variety on a Freeman 72. Maybe.

He also describes it further down as an Edward VII 1902 penny - keeping his options open !

On 5/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

Ja  Scream at me if you think i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea as this is a well known established type, with a Gouby classification to give it a Freeman type , such as an  H* so as to end some of the confusion

I have now mentioned the possibility on my varieties website.

• Like 2

Scarce ones at DNW not attibuted today in mixed lots 🙂

I thought i may of been in with a chance especially when one lot i was interested in opened at £20 :D

All good fun.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Keep us posted on any "scores"!

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Scarce ones at DNW not attibuted today in mixed lots 🙂

I thought i may of been in with a chance especially when one lot i was interested in opened at £20 :D

All good fun.

Pete.

Lot 981 was interesting - 60 x 1862 pennies. When it went for £800 hammer from the estimate of £90-120, I thought I'd take a closer look. I think I can see a halfpenny date, an 8/6 and a F38. 

1. Am I right?

2. Anyone see anything else?

DNW 981.jpg

Was anyone here the happy buyer? :)

Edited by mrbadexample

26 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Lot 981 was interesting - 60 x 1862 pennies. When it went for £800 hammer from the estimate of £90-120, I thought I'd take a closer look. I think I can see a halfpenny date, an 8/6 and a F38. 

1. Am I right?

2. Anyone see anything else?

Was anyone here the happy buyer? :)

I think you may be right on the F38, Jon. Honestly not sure about the other two. 

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I think you may be right on the F38, Jon. Honestly not sure about the other two. 

Do these help? 

DNW 981 (2).jpg

DNW 981 (3).jpg

DNW 981 (4).jpg

9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

But the fact it went for £800 would very strongly suggest a few rare varieties in it. You wouldn't pay that much for 60 tat 1862's.

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Do these help? 

DNW 981 (2).jpg

DNW 981 (3).jpg

DNW 981 (4).jpg

Yep - right on all three. F38, 8/6 and halfpenny date. Absolute for definite.

Maybe I should have looked harder before the auction. :lol:

Does the presence of these 3 rarities (at least) make the hammer price a good one? I've really got no idea when it comes to these. :huh:

4 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Does the presence of these 3 rarities (at least) make the hammer price a good one? I've really got no idea when it comes to these. :huh:

Oh absolutely. The 8/6 looks particularly nice - about VF, I'd say, although we can't see the obverse. 

The buyer will potentially more than triple what he paid, when selling. 

• Like 1

Cheers Mike.

lot 980, 120 x 1861 pennies also went well at £900 hammer. Something good in there obviously, but the picture's a lot more crowded with twice the coins - I can't spot anything. 

If you go and view the lots, can you sit there for a couple of hours going through each coin one by one? What's the etiquette if there are other people wishing to view? :unsure:

• Like 1

Some people are looking at them all day Jon and you cant bid with as much confidence only seeing one side in a picture or missing out on something that is hidden.

Hat off to the buyers especially if they took the time to go and have a good look and are happy , its the same as looking at something and knowing its crap on the side that is hidden and not going to high.They may well of bought others we cant see in the picture 🙂

There was obviously something or some in the 1860 Lot selling for over £3K with commision.

52 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

The other thing to remember is people often spend a couple of hours looking and find nothing of any value ,its much easier when the sale price has brought it to peoples attention :D

Edited by PWA 1967