British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm not convinced this is a Freeman 112, 1882 No H, as touted by DNW. I don't think it's obverse 11 as the nose is not hooked.

Thoughts?

Even I can see that the R and I of BRITT are touching, which makes it Obverse 12 and therefore can't be an 1882 no H.

PS - I have emailed DNW with that same view.

Edited by Paddy
Added PS
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I'm not convinced this is a Freeman 112, 1882 No H, as touted by DNW. I don't think it's obverse 11 as the nose is not hooked.

Thoughts?

I agree, value 0.00

• Like 1

Thanks gents. Some poor unsuspecting individual might well have fallen for that one. I wish auction houses would do their homework a bit more thoroughly. Seems they just accept the vendor's word for it.

• Like 1

On 30 March 2019 at 7:40 PM, 1949threepence said:

Thoughts?

There are some very suspicious abrasions beneath both '8's. Someone lend me a bargepole please, so that I have something not to touch it with?

• Like 1

Yes i looked at the large picture through a glass and sure i can see the H.

Its one coin i think i will always be happy not to have , as would constantly have doubts if it really was one.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, Paddy said:

Even I can see that the R and I of BRITT are touching, which makes it Obverse 12 and therefore can't be an 1882 no H.

PS - I have emailed DNW with that same view.

Did you receive a reply, Paddy? I note the coin is still advertised an F112.

No - no response at all. Disappointed in DNW - they are usually better than that.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, Paddy said:

Even I can see that the R and I of BRITT are touching

Plus the TT in BRITT. Clear to me. 

Now that you've pointed it out. ;)

Not quite "penny acquisition of the week" territory. But still I'm very pleased with this 1921 F191. Zero ghosting, very good breastplate detail, and very good hair detail to the King's head as well. Great value GEF completely issue free bargain for just £5.00 from e bay seller hollingtonmoss. A well above average specimen from the poorly struck ghosting period of George V.

penny 1921 obverse.jpg

penny 1921 rev.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Not quite "penny acquisition of the week" territory. But still I'm very pleased with this 1921 F191. Zero ghosting, very good breastplate detail, and very good hair detail to the King's head as well. Great value GEF completely issue free bargain for just £5.00 from e bay seller hollingtonmoss. A well above average specimen from the poorly struck ghosting period of George V.

That is good value. You will find F191 well struck up more often, as the head is shallower relief allowing Britannia to be fully struck up, and much less ghosting.

• Like 1

Interesting one here

Edited by 1949threepence

4 hours ago, alfnail said:

Did you buy it Mike?

No Ian. I thought it was an interesting one to post, but I wasn't that keen personally.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, 1949threepence said:

Interesting one here

A curiosty thats a bit different , why the seller finished the sale early there is an inverted 1928 penny in the next LCA with a lower estimate if its the kind of thing anyone is looking for.

2 hours ago, oldcopper said:

It's that Pywell-Phillips/LCA one again. They just can't keep it down!

I don’t keep tabs on pennies so I can’t say, but I thought it may interest someone

On 4/12/2019 at 1:11 PM, alfnail said:

Did you buy it Mike?

twas me

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Cliff said:

twas me

The Royal MInt letter is of almost as much interest as the coin, especially as it's written and signed by the very knowledgeable Graham Dyer. 

Curious 1868, with a wonky final 8 if anyone's interested - link 

31 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Curious 1868, with a wonky final 8 if anyone's interested - link 

Mike, That looks like a "S" over a "8"...really strange.

7 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Mike, That looks like a "S" over a "8"...really strange.

It does Bob. Certainly the 8 is distinctly out of position. Never seen any other date oddities on an 1868.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:19 PM, Paddy said:

No - no response at all. Disappointed in DNW - they are usually better than that.

Just remembered this one and looked it up to see what eventually happened. It was withdrawn prior to sale. So it looks as though your e mail was acted upon after all, Paddy.

link 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Just remembered this one and looked it up to see what eventually happened. It was withdrawn prior to sale. So it looks as though your e mail was acted upon after all, Paddy.

link 

I also had emailed DNW, and at the Midland Coin Fair Chris Finch mentioned it and reminded me (I had forgotten). They had taken the issue up with the vendor, it seems he was aware of the doubts and had been ‘trying it on’ rather. Anyway they had agreed to withdraw it, quite correctly. Likewise was a little surprised at the lack of an email acknowledgment though.

Jerry

• Like 2