British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Does that put it back in your price range Richard. ?  :D

If only !!!!

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Is it genuinely unique? Are there mint documents to support that, or is it simply that it’s the only one found, or the first coin pressed?

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Interestingly, there's only ever been one 52 halfcrown found. It had been well circulated so it begs the question whether it had started out life as a proof, like the penny? However, there were obviously no plans for any UK pennies after 49 (1961 was the next regular normal mintage) so possibly a VIP proof or, more likely, a striking for the Museum.*

It's unlikely there are any records or we'd have known about this penny and wondered where it was hiding.

*revised: if it was for the Museum it would still be there.. AND we'd have known about it!

Although I think Stu may have been wondering whether the coin had been certified as authentic by the Royal Mint. As am I.

Just seems odd that one 1952 would be minted. Maybe a batch were produced and then melted down because it was realised they weren't needed or authorised. But for whatever reason one survived. Like the 1954 there seems to be very little traceable back history. Or in the case if the 1954, big gaps.   

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Although I think Stu may have been wondering whether the coin had been certified as authentic by the Royal Mint. As am I.

Just seems odd that one 1952 would be minted. Maybe a batch were produced and then melted down because it was realised they weren't needed or authorised. But for whatever reason one survived. Like the 1954 there seems to be very little traceable back history. Or in the case if the 1954, big gaps.   

However, it's a proof. Perhaps a few VIP proofs were struck but only one (?) was actually issued before the King died so the rest were melted?

I'm guessing the 1954 was a pattern - with no pennies planned perhaps they just wanted to test out the new obverse?

I expect at least one die would have been made for each denomination for the coming year. After all, it is only the reverse that's new. After that, it is just a question of testing it.

23 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

However, it's a proof. Perhaps a few VIP proofs were struck but only one (?) was actually issued before the King died so the rest were melted?

I'm guessing the 1954 was a pattern - with no pennies planned perhaps they just wanted to test out the new obverse?

I wish I'd asked about the 1952 when I made a Freedom of Information Request in 2011. Joseph Payne, the then Assistant Curator, said with regard to the 1954, that he was unable to say for certain whether only one had survived from a trial run of several hundred (the rest of which were presumably melted down). 

That post is here 

Unfortunately, I don't think he's there any more. He supplied a very cogent reply within a few days. The last two I've sent weren't replied to for several weeks and were pretty awful - the respondents clearly didn't have a clue how to answer my questions.   

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 4:50 PM, Peckris 2 said:

That actually says 1952 and the post hasn't been edited.

Where did 1852 come from?

i opened my gob before I engaged my brain, and couldn't think what was unusual about 1952 pennies, then I realised 🤐🤐🤐

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I wish I'd asked about the 1952 when I made a Freedom of Information Request in 2011. Joseph Payne, the then Assistant Curator, said with regard to the 1954, that he was unable to say for certain whether only one had survived from a trial run of several hundred (the rest of which were presumably melted down).

Wasn't Mark Rasmussen the first to publicly offer the 1952? If so, he should know where it came from. (His website doesn't feature his stock strangely, but the photograph on his home page - when you zoom in - I'm sure shows the 1952 at the bottom.)

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Wasn't Mark Rasmussen the first to publicly offer the 1952? If so, he should know where it came from. (His website doesn't feature his stock strangely, but the photograph on his home page - when you zoom in - I'm sure shows the 1952 at the bottom.)

From his site:

1952 1d proof.JPG

• Like 1

Also from his site (which does contain his stock):

1952, dies 3+C, BMC-; F.-; S.4117 (Unique), this coin , carbon spot by second N of PENNY and another behind head, otherwise brilliant, and the only known example, 
Ex. A H Baldwin 125th Centennary Auction, 13th October 1997 and Rasmussen List 9 (C109). Up until its appearance in the Baldwin sale the existence of this piece was not known to the collecting fraternity, with the exception of Baldwin's management. It now joins the ranks along with the other great rarities, the pennies of 1933, 1937 (Edward VIII) and the 1954.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

...carbon spot by second N of PENNY and another behind head...

That's me out then. Pete says I should concentrate on better quality, not rang. :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

That's me out then. Pete says I should concentrate on better quality, not rang. :D

Also, not wishing to be pedantic, but it's actually the first N of penny. 

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

From his site:

1952 1d proof.JPG

How did you get to his stock? He has various buttons on his home page, but they're unclickable, i.e. they don't go anywhere.

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Also, not wishing to be pedantic, but it's actually the first N of penny. 

Not unless you look under the 2nd N where there’s also a carbon spot 😏

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

How did you get to his stock? He has various buttons on his home page, but they're unclickable, i.e. they don't go anywhere.

Click this bit. It's very far from obvious. :rolleyes:

Ras.JPG

i believe it’s called a hamburger

• Haha 1

If you go to Mark's archive icon (mid-right of home page), you can see when he last sold it, (List 9, circa 2004/5?) for £37,500 - so the price asked has nearly quadrupled in the meantime (£135K). I suppose it's worth chancing an arm, depending on whether anyone wants it that badly. But not so far. I will say the stain behind the head is a slight distraction - perhaps I'll wait for a better one!!

Has anyone seen the prices for the St James Ed VII sale today? Go to their website and click on "bid live" then on "continue" then the "250 lots" button. Strange to say, the only coin I was tempted by actually went for a reasonable price, the 1902 LT halfpenny (£360), not that I bid for it or anything else in this auction. Some other prices were truly amazing; the power of slabbery! Fancy a couple of Ed farthings for >£500, anyone? Or a currency crown for >£3K?

Or an Edward VII, matt proof halfpenny, 1902 for £3k+

39 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

perhaps I'll wait for a better one!!

No problem, I get the Chinese to make you one.   :D

Don't forget the 1954 penny.

Bull says there are ?two? 1952 currency half crowns known??

Also, there is the single proof 1952 halfcrown, last seen 1997. I am wondering where these more modern rarities as far as value.

What are any of these likely to fetch & is 80k the magic mark? What should the 1945 currency 3d fetch?

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Click this bit. It's very far from obvious. :rolleyes:

Ras.JPG

Thanks! That's where I went wrong - I Googled him and found markrasmussennumismatist-betchworth.co.uk/ which I think is his old website? It's still there but nothing is active on it apart from the three main buttons (Home, Coin..Service, Contact).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, secret santa said:

1952, dies 3+C, BMC-; F.-; S.4117 (Unique), this coin , carbon spot by second N of PENNY and another behind head, otherwise brilliant, and the only known example, 
Ex. A H Baldwin 125th Centennary Auction, 13th October 1997 and Rasmussen List 9 (C109). Up until its appearance in the Baldwin sale the existence of this piece was not known to the collecting fraternity, with the exception of Baldwin's management. It now joins the ranks along with the other great rarities, the pennies of 1933, 1937 (Edward VIII) and the 1954.

Makes you wonder just why Baldwins kept schtum about such a rarity?

5 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Thanks! That's where I went wrong - I Googled him and found markrasmussennumismatist-betchworth.co.uk/ which I think is his old website? It's still there but nothing is active on it apart from the three main buttons (Home, Coin..Service, Contact).

I didn't even know that one existed. :lol:

I think it is rascoins.com or something close....

• Like 1

Talking about that 1952 penny, I just found an interesting snippet from the November 2018 Coin News. Can't copy and paste from it, but here is a screenshot:-

No, can't do a screenshot as it's too big. Here is a photo instead:-

rasmussen 2.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Talking about that 1952 penny, I just found an interesting snippet from the November 2018 Coin News. Can't copy and paste from it, but here is a screenshot:-

No, can't do a screenshot as it's too big. Here is a photo instead:-

I think that issue of Coin News was where I first learned of M.R.'s association with the coin.

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 1