British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I think this is a F78? Reverse Gouby ja so must be F72 or F78 if my understanding is correct, and I'm fairly sure it's obverse Gouby L.

1874 F78 (1).JPG

1874 F78 (2).JPG

Thanks Richard. Another gap filled. :)

I have noticed the 1952 Proof penny is for auction in June and will be interesting to see the price it sells for ☺️ 

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I have noticed the 1952 Proof penny is for auction in June and will be interesting to see the price it sells for ☺️ 

1852 ?   not 1952 you mean ? 

1 hour ago, craigy said:

1852 ?   not 1952 you mean ? 

He does mean 1952 , it was for sale with Rasmussen.    Is it with LCA Pete.

3 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

He does mean 1952 , it was for sale with Rasmussen.    Is it with LCA Pete.

No Terrry    St.James...........I was told the estimate was £80 -£90 K but not sure if he was just guessing 😉

sorry doh, I was thinking 1950 1951 

Can anybody here afford it?

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Can anybody here afford it?

Can we afford not to ? Put your money into something before Corbyn gets it !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

That actually says 1952 and the post hasn't been edited.

Where did 1852 come from?

• Like 1

"I have noticed the 1952 Proof penny is for auction in June"

Can someone post the link please.

40 minutes ago, secret santa said:

"I have noticed the 1952 Proof penny is for auction in June"

Can someone post the link please.

Its just on their main page saying "coming soon"

https://bsjauctions.com

Screenshot 2019-03-19 at 12.10.32.png

Edited by azda

OK, so are there a couple of bidders that will shoot for the moon, and if so how high will the bidding go?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

OK, so are there a couple of bidders that will shoot for the moon, and if so how high will the bidding go?

My bank account says i'm out 😁

As a penny completist you’ve got to have it, haven’t you! For those deep-pocketed penny collectors who are running out of things to buy...I can see this going nuts. Is it truly unique? How is that?

28 minutes ago, Coinery said:

As a penny completist you’ve got to have it, haven’t you! For those deep-pocketed penny collectors who are running out of things to buy...I can see this going nuts. Is it truly unique? How is that?

Problem being that only one completist can have it. 

It's been on sale for a year at £135K and not sold so I imagine something like £80K hammer plus commission might get it..........

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

It's been on sale for a year at £135K and not sold so I imagine something like £80K hammer plus commission might get it..........

Does that put it back in your price range Richard. ?  :D

Why isn’t it being snapped up by the elite, the royals, the Arabs, the museums? Surely it’s a must-have for one of those? Especially for a collection that will never sell, it will get its price again one day, if not before.

Is it genuinely unique? Are there mint documents to support that, or is it simply that it’s the only one found, or the first coin pressed?

1 hour ago, Coinery said:

Is it genuinely unique? Are there mint documents to support that, or is it simply that it’s the only one found, or the first coin pressed?

Interestingly, there's only ever been one 52 halfcrown found. It had been well circulated so it begs the question whether it had started out life as a proof, like the penny? However, there were obviously no plans for any UK pennies after 49 (1961 was the next regular normal mintage) so possibly a VIP proof or, more likely, a striking for the Museum.*

It's unlikely there are any records or we'd have known about this penny and wondered where it was hiding.

*revised: if it was for the Museum it would still be there.. AND we'd have known about it!

Edited by Peckris 2