British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLED-EDGE-GEORGE-V-PENNY-COIN-1916-RARE/352575682858?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought this as a curiosity the other day and the seller sent me a letter with it.

The owner at the time had sent the coin to the Daily telegraph i suppose due to no computers for pictures etc and hadnt thought of sending it to the Royal Mint.

They must of thought putting it in the paper that they could get a few quid for it.

Needless to say within  there reply on the 2nd july 1969 they said we dont have a clue why it has a milled edge :D

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLED-EDGE-GEORGE-V-PENNY-COIN-1916-RARE/352575682858?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought this as a curiosity the other day and the seller sent me a letter with it.

The owner at the time had sent the coin to the Daily telegraph i suppose due to no computers for pictures etc and hadnt thought of sending it to the Royal Mint.

They must of thought putting it in the paper that they could get a few quid for it.

Needless to say within  there reply on the 2nd july 1969 they said we dont have a clue why it has a milled edge :D

Interesting. Have you got a photo of the letter, Pete?

Back in the 1950s one of my uncles was a printing machine engineer who had the use of a multitude of heavy engineering tools , such as lathes, milling machines etc. and he made all sorts of things , one of which I still have , a two piece male / female metal eye punch, still I must say quite use full , anyway I was a small boy then. and we were talking about how the milling found around a two shilling piece was made. Well he said ow that's easy , I could do that to a penny on a machine at work in no time, well I forgot all about it , and some weeks later when I was again at his house he came out with it.   I don't know what became of it , I guess he gave it to his son, and you never know it my be the one in your hands now Pete :D

Yes Terry or the 1901 that sold for £180+ LCA The Elstree collection 😮

I have mailed you the letter Mike although nothing exciting.

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes Terry or the 1901 that sold for £180+ LCA The Elstree collection 😮

I have mailed you the letter Mike although nothing exciting.

Thanks Pete. 

Another of my pastimes /obsessions is conjuring since I was about 10 yrs old. Years ago, I asked someone I trusted to make things for me but he started making them up himself and selling them under his own name, water under the bridge now, but he did (and still does) make a lot of money at my expense. So, I decided to teach myself and purchased the contents of a clockmakers workshop, lathes/milling machine etc in order to make my own tricks and devices.

Without giving too much away, there are a LOT of tricky coins out there, most of which remain in magicians hands but they occasionally get spent by mistake,  you may have ended up with some in your change at some time and wondered what the heck it was. Double-headed coins, coins that fall apart and have another coin inside of it etc, etc. The variations are endless.

Back to the thread, the graining on the penny looks like it was done to give better grip when executing a conjurers sleight called a coin roll-down (google it) where the flat edges of a penny would not ensure enough grip. I've seen several of these in the past, made for the conjurers of old. They are, imo, worthless.

In the photo below you'll see some I made for that very purpose. Grained on a milling machine equipped with dividing head set at 2-degree intervals to give 180 grooves.

(Btw, the silver coins are Morgan silver dollars and the copper is a fantasy piece).

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.1b7b6955ae47d548a622c1615e55e462.JPG

• Like 1

Yes we have them all over here ,the best ones were made by Eddie gibson although i think he has passed away now but brilliantly made ☺️

Yes, Peter, Eddie was a fine maker and created many wonderful items, I spent valuable and enjoyable time in his company.

• Like 1

Did I miss something on this one, went for about twice what I expected? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1860-QUEEN-VICTORIA-GREAT-BRITAIN-BUN-HEAD-BRONZE-PENNY-1D-COIN-/362550780257?nma=true&si=KU3owCk%2BD8%2Fos%2F2s%2FhI7oP0uhRo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Perhaps some interesting ghosting, a flying ship and a broken index finger...………...… but I thought that all these things were quite common!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alfnail said:

Did I miss something on this one, went for about twice what I expected? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1860-QUEEN-VICTORIA-GREAT-BRITAIN-BUN-HEAD-BRONZE-PENNY-1D-COIN-/362550780257?nma=true&si=KU3owCk%2BD8%2Fos%2F2s%2FhI7oP0uhRo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Perhaps some interesting ghosting, a flying ship and a broken index finger...………...… but I thought that all these things were quite common!

Don't think you missed anything other than it was a very nice coin. Choice piece, well worth the money.

Ian, Mike:  Off on a tangent and maybe clear my head clear my head, isn't this a 2D, not a 1D as was originally offered (Obv beads toughing rim), F10?

Edited by Cliff
Typo

Yes its a F10 ,think the seller meant 1d as in the denomination and not the dies which would be the mule ☺️

Ah ah, got it Pete, thanks.  I apologize to all for my confusion.  Must think things through a bit more before opening my mouth .

Yep, definitely an F10. 

19 hours ago, Cliff said:

Ian, Mike:  Off on a tangent and maybe clear my head clear my head, isn't this a 2D, not a 1D as was originally offered (Obv beads toughing rim), F10?

Hi Cliff, how are you keeping?

Was thinking maybe it's a trick 'double heads' penny then!!

The verdigris has come off. The edges are knackered. But £9 all-in. :)

1922 dot 1d (3).JPG

• Like 4

The die crack through the V on the obverse is a good second indicator Jon.........Hat off 🙂

The idea is you take another photo to show people after taking the verd off :D

Edited by PWA 1967

I'm glad I knew that.  :D

I've given it a rub on my T-shirt so it's looking much better. :D I'll post another photo tomorrow when I've got some daylight. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

The verdigris has come off. The edges are knackered. But £9 all-in. :)

1922 dot 1d (3).JPG

What type is it?

3 minutes ago, Mr T said:

What type is it?

Dot on trident.

1922 dot 1d (5).JPG

• Like 1

1922 dot 1d (4).JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I've given it a rub on my T-shirt so it's looking much better. :D I'll post another photo tomorrow when I've got some daylight. 

Sacrilege !!! - but nice one anyway. Neat capture, Jon.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Just now, 1949threepence said:

Sacrilege !!! - but nice one anyway. Neat capture, Jon.

I don't think it'll hurt this one. Someone kicking it up and down the street already did that! :lol:

• Haha 1

Post contents amended and transferred to the "opinions on lot 558 of june LCA auction - 1861 8/6" thread.

Edited by 1949threepence