British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thank you all for your comments. I am going to keep looking at it for a bit longer. Also going to try and get my work to invest in an electron microscope:ph34r: I am sure it will come in useful, for something.;)

As Pete said its a scarce one anyway, I was just hoping it was one of those really scarce ones that no else one has. B)

1 hour ago, IanB said:

Also going to try and get my work to invest in an electron microscope:ph34r: I am sure it will come in useful, for something.;)

Who's your employer? Father Christmas? You'll struggle getting that one funded out of petty cash. If the business needed one it probably would have bought one already, or at least have a 3rd party facility elsewhere it can draw on.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Who's your employer? Father Christmas? You'll struggle getting that one funded out of petty cash. If the business needed one it probably would have bought one already, or at least have a 3rd party facility elsewhere it can draw on.

I work for a University, STEM courses are the future. Will let you know if I manage to swing it<_<

• Like 2

if you do get one can I please book some time on it so I might get to the bottom of my silly theory or ask you to look for me LOL....I miss my electron microscope so much 

22 minutes ago, IanB said:

I work for a University, STEM courses are the future. Will let you know if I manage to swing it<_<

1 hour ago, Rob said:

yes and I know you said father christmas not the tooth fairy or tinkerbell 

18 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

if you do get one can I please book some time on it so I might get to the bottom of my silly theory or ask you to look for me LOL....I miss my electron microscope so much

You'd be suprised at just how much you can see with one of these £35 ones these days, they've come an awful long way.

yes I have a couple of normal binocular microscopes with cameras attached , you are right it has become a wonderful time in coin collecting.  I am thinking of buying one of the 16mp full HD digital microscopes they are about £200 but eager to know if anyone else has one.  If I have one fraction of inaccuracy with my work though I will never be able to convince this lot of my research.  

This is about as clear as I can get with the tools I have but I would like to look at the metallic structure better 

10 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

You'd be suprised at just how much you can see with one of these £35 ones these days, they've come an awful long way.

CM180704-100922005 (196x300).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

7 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I think @zookeeperz has one of those fancy ones?

oh really i will ask him I get by but it would be nice to have easily digital analysis and processing power to "tidy " things up , more likely I need a good processing package rather than the hardware 

I think good hardware with a consistent setup will do far more than a good post-processing package.

Polishing turds can be rewarding, but having something better to start with will always win!

A 9 would be illogical unless they'd seen Back To The Future. My guess is that it could be a 5 - 1855 is a very common date for pennies.

42 minutes ago, Peckris said:

A 9 would be illogical unless they'd seen Back To The Future. My guess is that it could be a 5 - 1855 is a very common date for pennies.

Yes Peck ,more likely to be a five than a nine :)

• Like 1

And this one? 

1858 over 9 date.jpg

3 hours ago, IanB said:

I'm surprised you don't have one already. Maybe a different department? It's worth asking the question.

8 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

And this one? 

Looking more and more like a 9 to me

7 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm surprised you don't have one already. Maybe a different department? It's worth asking the question.

I know we don't have one at the moment, but I also know we are investing in technology 

Edited by IanB

10 hours ago, Peckris said:

That would make sense.

For it to be a 9, they'd have had to use an 1849 die, which would have entailed re-cutting the 4 as well. No evidence of that. 

An explanation of it being a 9 was given on this forum link by Michael Gouby back in 2009. Scroll down to last text:-

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=712566&STARTPAGE=1

Whilst I don't have an electron microscope (did actually use one on Apollo moon samples) this is the best picture I have of this overdate using my digital 140x 

1858 Best 8 Close Up.jpg

• Like 1

Well remembered. I don't recall reading that one.

Interestingly this exact same obverse is also seen paired with two other reverses which do NOT have a large rose. This obverse exhibits progressive die flawing which commences at a border tooth to the top of the A of VICTORIA, and later develops through this A to Victoria’s head. Further flaws also develop at the front of the truncation to the border tooth 8 teeth to the left of the numeral 1, and also at the base of the OR of VICTORIA. This progressive obverse flawing gives us a timeline which proves that the large rose reverse is the middle one of the three reverses (which I know of to date) seen paired with this strange overdate obverse.

If any member wishes to see my detailed email with high definition images, which I sent to MG several years ago about this, then please PM me with your own email address…..as I cannot post images over 500Mb on the forum.

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

And this one? 

1858 over 9 date.jpg

Jon.............Can you please have a look at the reverse and tell me if its a large rose ,i assume the coin is W.W. ?

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Members may also know that in addition to this large rose reverse which is paired with the strange overdate obverse, there is also a second re-cut large rose reverse variety (different die) which is paired with a small date obverse (pictures attached for information). This small date variety to my knowledge always displays the die crack though numeral 5 and, on the reverse, has the ghosting above Britannia’s right hand, and a single mark below left knee. Also note the slanted colon after DEF, which is the type given by MG on his website as CP1858F…..for those of you perhaps seeking this rare variety:-

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/cp1858DEF.htm

1858 Large Rose Small Date Rev.jpg

1858 Large Rose Small Date Obv.jpg

Edited by alfnail
mistake
  • Like 2

For reference, and at same magnification, here are the two obverse date styles associated with the two large 're-cut' rose reverses

Large Rose Reverse_Two Obverse Date Types.jpg

Yes Ian ....I have just had a look at the two small date ones i have and the OBV / REV is exactly the same.

Now, with my anorak on, I did capture ebay images of every 1841 to 1860/59 penny listed on ebay, every day for a full 5 years. I am gradually compiling stats on varieties, but have yet to do this for the 1858 large rose pieces. These images were captured before the large rose variety started to become better known by collectors (i.e. after London Coins sold one in Fine 35 for £600 hammer at their June 2012 auction) so I think when I get round to doing these stats they will reflect the full population quite well. My memory is that there were around a half dozen of each of the two types sold on ebay in 5 years, and that none of them was advertised as such!

• Like 1