British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

3 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

1861obverseF26-horz.jpg

Looks like F29, and the Britannia is much better preserved vis a vis the shield, conforming to Mikes observation.

Jerry

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jelida said:

Looks like F29, and the Britannia is much better preserved vis a vis the shield, conforming to Mikes observation.

Jerry

F26 i think it is obv 5 rev D :)

6 hours ago, jelida said:

Thanks Bernie, that is a very useful and relevant insight!

Jerry

It is indeed. Thanks Bernie. 

9 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

F26 i think it is obv 5 rev D :)

Quite right, must put my glasses on! But it still shows the different wear pattern nicely! 😇 

Jerry

• Like 1

This one was in a job lot and cost me nothing. Trying out my variety detection skills, I think I get this to be 6 and H - Freeman 67 - am I right?

The neck seems to narrow to be Obverse 7 or 8 and the narrow date is the feature of Reverse H... I know it is RANG by Peter's standards, but we have to start somewhere!

1874 D 6+H 1 Red.JPG

1874 D 6+H 2 Red.JPG

This is were i am still trying to work them out  1874 :)

Are you sure that is a Ja reverse Terry ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hi Pete, the Ja often has a slightly rotated N in ONE as this example also has, so as the coin is both worn and damaged, and I couldn't be sure, I said it looks like a Ja, ?????  :D

1 minute ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Hi Pete, the Ja often has a slightly rotated N in ONE as this example also has, so as the coin is both worn and damaged, and I couldn't be sure, I said it looks like a Ja, ?????  :D

Thanks Terry .

It was the helmet really that i looked at the one pictured looks curved rather than the Ja that is straight.

I am often wrong though ;)

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

This one was in a job lot and cost me nothing. Trying out my variety detection skills, I think I get this to be 6 and H - Freeman 67 - am I right?

The neck seems to narrow to be Obverse 7 or 8 and the narrow date is the feature of Reverse H... I know it is RANG by Peter's standards, but we have to start somewhere!

1874 D 6+H 1 Red.JPG

1874 D 6+H 2 Red.JPG

Freeman 72, Paddy - 7 + H. The neck can be deceptive on worn coins. 

• Like 1

Just now, 1949threepence said:

Freeman 72, Paddy - 7 + H. The neck can be deceptive on worn coins. 

OK - I will take the consensus and go back to school! :D

Grotty though it is, it will be in my collection for now as 7+H was not one I had before. (Now in the penny folder.)

I can say its a definite Obverse 7 as its the older portrait of Victoria and the gap between Victorias head and the out edge of the coin is large, on the 6 its quite close

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

OK - I will take the consensus and go back to school! :D

Grotty though it is, it will be in my collection for now as 7+H was not one I had before. (Now in the penny folder.)

Incidentally, with regard to the Gouby ja, Goubt describes the j as "Underneath of Brit's helmet as concave" and ja as "Underneath of Brit's helmet upright".

39 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Incidentally, with regard to the Gouby ja, Goubt describes the j as "Underneath of Brit's helmet as concave" and ja as "Underneath of Brit's helmet upright".

Yes I think he's talking about the back of the lower section the J looks like )   and Ja looks like ( . That's how I understand it. but even knowing that I can never see it lol. :)

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Yes I think he's talking about the back of the lower section the J looks like )   and Ja looks like ( . That's how I understand it. but even knowing that I can never see it lol. :)

Some of these differences are very subtle.

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Some of these differences are very subtle.

So i am not banging my head in a wall Mike the picture is NOT a Ja ?

Comparing it with mine, NOT a Ja. This is a close-up of the helmet of my F72 Ja, quite different shape below the plume.

Jerry

F72Ja.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

So i am not banging my head in a wall Mike the picture is NOT a Ja ?

Don't know either way Pete.

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Don't know either way Pete.

:lol: Think your just winding me up.

I didnt think it was and Jerry seems to agree.

All good fun but sometimes i start to doubt myself so the forum an easy option to ask questions..........if you get the answers :)

Good article in coin news Richard and well explained with the pictures.

Be good if someone could follow it on with something else as i think coin news is short of something a bit different.

I know Peck did a few and Richard done one previously ,also Dave has another article in this month on the £1.

HAT OFF :)

Pete.

15 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

it was a damn good read!

I think that may be taking things a bit too far ! Definitely one for the geeks.:blink:

Just now, secret santa said:

I think that may be taking things a bit too far ! Definitely one for the geeks.:blink:

Shows I'm definitely switching sides slowly but surely :)

1 minute ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Shows I'm definitely switching sides slowly but surely :)

Well instead of being on here start looking for one and then you can sell it me ;)